Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mineral Butte
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 7:41 pm 
This peak is in the North Fork of the Skykomish drainage and offers a safe winter outing with minimal avalanche risk as much of the route is either on logging road or forested. Beave joined up with me on this outing and was great company to have. After 9 1/2 miles on the North Fork of Skykomish road there is a bridge going over the Skykomish. Just on the other side of the bridge we had to park our car as the snowpack was too deep for travel. After only a couple hundred feet the road forks and it is the fork which goes left that takes one futher up alongside Salmon Creek. We followed the road until about 3,400 feet elevation having left the car at 1,200 feet. Then we went into the forest and travelled on a wellrounded ridge which gains definition farther up. The snow was fairly firm as last week saw high freezing levels in the mountains. Several hundred feet beneath the summit we took off our snowshoes and kicked steps to the top. We had light rain to start which turned to snowfall at about 4,000 feet. Views of nearby Hubbart, Scott, and Spire Peak were brief due to the cloud cover. 4 hrs 45 mins to summit and 2 hrs 45 mins to return to the car.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 8:30 pm 
A few years ago in late spring I drove that road as far as I could. Got out and did some hiking. Ran into snow, continued on for a ways but wasn't prepared for it. Very nice views on a clear day. N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
JimK

JimK
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 8:47 pm 
Mike, I'm glad to see that you are back to posting reports. I look forward to reading many more this year.