Forum Index > Trip Reports > ONP: Grey Wolf River East
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Timmie

Timmie
PostSat Apr 25, 2009 2:42 pm 
Well Crabio and I opened the season on a light hike ~8.5 miles RT to the washed out bridge. Some of you might remember a old post we did where we were stopped by a massive blow down. Many thanks to those that cleared the way for us to enjoy a nice hike up.gif .
??? I missed this survivor man... huh.gif (If you look closely you can see a makeshift shelter right of center in the picture)
Must have boot shot winksmile.gif I will have to add when I read about the bridge wash out and the majestic views, I was a little let down. I do live by my motto: the worse day of hiking is better than the best day at work.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostSat Apr 25, 2009 4:39 pm 
Timmie wrote:
Hey Timmie, where is this shot taken? Looking downstream from the big rock in the river at Cliff Camp? A request for other hikers of the Lower Gray Wolf: could you take a tape measure? There's a broken tread on the Sutherland Creek footbridge, which is past Cliff Camp and Divide Camp, about 3-1/2 miles from the trailhead and 3/4 mile below the former/missing Gray Wolf bridge site. If someone could take the exact measurements LxWxD of that tread, we could rip, dry and pack it in, perhaps more easily than finding windfall cedar on-site. (At least we'd get it done, it's been bugging me!) Thanks. Reports on windfall, tread or bridge issues are always appreciated. We did some light work on the lower 2 miles last week, but will work on other trails unless we hear of stuff that needs doing there.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Apr 25, 2009 5:42 pm 
RodF said
Quote:
Reports on windfall, tread or bridge issues are always appreciated. We did some light work on the lower 2 miles last week, but will work on other trails unless we hear of stuff that needs doing there.
Continuing kudos for the Grey Wolf Trail Crew, and for the managers of Olympic public lands that make the Crew's work possible. up.gif up.gif
Timmie, I do like your treatment of moving water. biggrin.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Phil

Phil
PostSat Apr 25, 2009 5:54 pm 
Are there still a couple of 1-2' logs spanning the gap where the old bridge was washed out? A few years ago I shimmied across one and continued my hike beyond. Just past the bridge washout are gorgeous canyons.

Timmie

Timmie
PostSat Apr 25, 2009 7:16 pm 
Quote:
Hey Timmie, where is this shot taken? Looking downstream from the big rock in the river at Cliff Camp?
Yes it is
Quote:
There's a broken tread on the Sutherland Creek footbridge, which is past Cliff Camp and Divide Camp, about 3-1/2 miles from the trailhead and 3/4 mile below the former/missing Gray Wolf bridge site. If someone could take the exact measurements LxWxD of that tread, we could rip, dry and pack it in, perhaps more easily than finding windfall cedar on-site. (At least we'd get it done, it's been bugging me!) Thanks.
Crabio is more of a picture taker and we have one of me standing in the holes. I am sure he will be adding his to this thread soon. I wear a size 9 shoe so that can give you an idea of the size plank you need.
Quote:
Timmie, I do like your treatment of moving water.
LOL thanks cool.gif

RodF

RodF
PostSun Apr 26, 2009 1:44 pm 
Phil wrote:
Are there still a couple of 1-2' logs spanning the gap where the old bridge was washed out?
I've been using this log, about 100 yards below the old bridge site -
log downstream of GW bridge site
log downstream of GW bridge site
This is a very problematic site for a replacement bridge, so alas there are no plans to replace it. The entire south pier, shown below, was lost to a slide and flood, and a replacement wouldn't last. And due to cliffs both above and below this site, there's no good replacement site accessible.
old Gray Wolf bridge, by Don Abbott
old Gray Wolf bridge, by Don Abbott
So the Slab Camp trail is now the new access for the Gray Wolf.
new Slab Camp Trail bridge
About 2 miles upriver, just below Slide Camp, the Forest Service plans blast two cliff areas this summer to widen the trail and restore stock access to Gray Wolf Camp.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
crabio

crabio
PostSun Apr 26, 2009 6:08 pm 
Just saw your TR Timmie. I posted this one as well. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7974583 And so the season begins !

crabio

crabio
PostSun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm 
So the Slab Camp trail is now the new access for the Gray Wolf.
Hi Rod ... so am I correct in understanding that we can get to those teasing canyon views from the Slab Camp Trail ??? -c

RodF

RodF
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 1:27 pm 
crabio wrote:
Hi Rod ... so am I correct in understanding that we can get to those teasing canyon views from the Slab Camp Trail ???
If you cross the new Slab Camp bridge, hike less than 1/4 mile on up to the former Camp Tony Shelter site at the Gray Wolf Trail junction, then turn left downriver, there's a wonderful 3/4 mile section of unmaintained trail down to the former bridge site. This is the most beautiful section of the lower Gray Wolf trail, and offers some exceptional river and canyon views.
The trail upriver to Gray Wolf Camp is up on the steep hillside well above the river, so offers few good canyon views. Be thou forewarned: Unexplained X-Files phenomena have been witnessed in this vicinity...
ScottM's incantation raises the Blue Dome Spirit
ScottM's incantation raises the Blue Dome Spirit

ScottM

ScottM
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 7:35 pm 
rotf.gif You guys must be slipping something in my tea. I think Rod snapped this other photo on a completely different trip but still in the Graywolf. The common denominator, other than the clothes, is that mug of tea in my hand.
Gray Wolf 2008 340
Gray Wolf 2008 340

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 pm 
RodF wrote:
About 2 miles upriver, just below Slide Camp, the Forest Service plans blast two cliff areas this summer to widen the trail and restore stock access to Gray Wolf Camp.
There is one scary spot along there I'm sure you are familiar with Rod. The trail is cut into the rock on the south gorge wall. Here is a picture of the trail crossing the runout.
Slab Camp and Gray Wolf 018
Slab Camp and Gray Wolf 018
The elevation is around 2400', with the river at 1600' below you. Thats an 800' runout. eek.gif This is looking straight down the slide.
Slab Camp and Gray Wolf 019
Slab Camp and Gray Wolf 019
It was eye opening enough that I had to take a picture of it on the way down, I dont usually take picture of slide gullies, but this spot stood out. It's rock and scree all the way down, nothing to stop you, and the slope has to be 60° there. I worry about a hiker coming down that stretch by headlamp and not seeing the runout before they get to it. If you fell there, you would surely die, plus that canyon is so narrow at the bottom there would be little chance of anyone ever recovering any remains. I'm glad they're gonna fix it. agree.gif up.gif