Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Putrids Tackle Putrid Pete's Peak - 4/25/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 pm 
What to do when you must be back in town for an evening dinner? Pick a trip down the I-90 lane and ask your Putrid Friends to go with you, of course! JustPutrid, GeoPutrid, Putrid Dicey, Putrid Yana, Putrid Jasper and Putrid Jack joined moi (waputridgal) for the rotten trip. gag.gif Since exit 45 has "undergone organic breakdown" we were left to ponder an alternate route. It took all of 1 unpleasant second for PutridDicey to suggest we go via the Dirty Harry's Peak trail (well, she is the one who came up with the P3 idea after all). So we started out on the Rock Trail from Hell ( naughty.gif ), which apparently is also called the Dirty Harry's Peak trail. After crossing the Death Bridge (of which I was so scared I forgot to take a photo), it only took a few rock stumbles further to reach the Dirty Harry's Balcony turn-off. We turned and followed the DHB trail until we came to a Y in the trail (with the balcony heading to the right). From here we wandered around in one complete circle before heading straight and soon found our abandoned trail. Following the trail for awhile the Putrids met the Gully of Doom and the Slide Alder Slashing Session. Next we came to the Forest of Look Alike where nothing looked like a trail and everything looked like a trail. Finally one of the Putrids noticed some old logs that outlined a pathway and we continued a long our rotten way.
Creative navigation
Creative navigation
Another reason why it rocks to be short.
Another reason why it rocks to be short.
One of a handful of creek crossings
One of a handful of creek crossings
A couple miles down this trail we came upon a Stealthy Junction that began switching backing up, up, up to the north. Since we were all in a switchback type of mood, we followed this trail up, up, up. We were met with the most Putrefying Triple Creek Crossing of the Same Creek on this segment of the journey. It was around 3000' that we finally found ourselves kick-stepping up some stale icy snow and we decided that we had had enough with the rotten switchbacks and just headed straight up. After making some disgustingly quick work of the stale icy snow, we reached a small clearing. Here the snow was minutely softer. We climbed up a Huge Mound of Snow and entered another short section of forest. Finally we broke out of the dense forest and had our first views of putrefying I-90. Now we only had to tackle the final steep ridge to the summit. After some serious ass-kicking, I mean kick-stepping on firm snow and a quick huff up the rocky ridge, we reached the summit...and found it most Putrid. The wind was blowing, snice (that would be snow-ice for those whose vocabulary is more sophisticated than a bunch of Putrids) was falling and we had no choice but to take in the lack of views around us.
Firm snow = fun
Firm snow = fun
Yana & McClellan
Yana & McClellan
Mixed terrain
Mixed terrain
JustTodd sitting on the job
JustTodd sitting on the job
Jack is phoning home
Jack is phoning home
JustTodd and the cornice of death
JustTodd and the cornice of death
Hikers & the lone snag
Hikers & the lone snag
We quickly signed into the summit register, said "hi" to Pete and then slid our way down the summit to a spot where we could sit in the cold and eat and take in those non-existent views. Mmmmmm.
Danger danger!
Danger danger!
Enjoying the views
Enjoying the views
Relaxing on the summit
Relaxing on the summit
The trip down was non-eventful except for the Death Bridge crossing where we had to watch PutridDicey attempt a death-defying crossing...don't worry, she made it across. In case you, too, feel like being putrid, we recommend that you take your ice axe and crampons and a whole lotta rottenness. Oh, and a Big Rotten Congrats to Putrid Jack for his first rock scramble to the summit! up.gif up.gif
Jack's first rock scramble
Jack's first rock scramble
Almost there!
Almost there!
He made it!
He made it!

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:24 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
Next we came to the Forest of Look Alike where nothing looked like a trail and everything looked like a trail.
Most excellent description.
wamtngal wrote:
Almost there!
Almost there!
Looks like Jack has been hitting the climbing gym!

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:26 pm 
Very Putrid report Waputridgal. Jasper and I had been up this last year on a TNAB hike via the Exit 45 route. This was a much more enjoyable pace, although I suddenly remembered why I hadn't been on the Dirty Harry's Road for several years. lol.gif Some more putrid images from the day:
Yana, dicey, wamtngal
5 labels
Yana, dicey, wamtngal
wamtngal and dicey
wamtngal and dicey
Jack and JustTodd
Jack and JustTodd
Ascending the ridge
Ascending the ridge
Trees
Trees
Getting closer?
Getting closer?
Almost there
Almost there
Yana
Yana
Final steep part
Final steep part
Putrid summit
Putrid summit
Come on up, the views suck
Come on up, the views suck
Putrid summit shot
Putrid summit shot
Jack and dicey descend
Jack and dicey descend
Snag and hikers
Snag and hikers

Knows literally nothing
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:26 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
After crossing the Death Bridge (of which I was so scared I forgot to take a photo)
lol.gif lol.gif I refer to going on a hike there the first time as the "Oh I have great knees, who needs trekking poles" hike where after I wondered if I would ever be able to walk again coming down all those mad.gif rant.gif lousy stinking rocks.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:28 pm 
Oh well, there goes that idea. I was going to do this one tomorrow, early afternoon. Looks like a real putridly pleasant bushwhack. I think there will be some nice views tomorrow pm.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:30 pm 
That road is one of the few that is actually easier when covered in snow huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:33 pm 
Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the most putrid of them all? I was wondering why the inside of the car smelled so bad on the way back to Seattle. Oh well, could have been worse - at least PutridTom and PutridJasper were in another vehicle. naughty.gif Couple more pics:
Yes, it is snowing.
Yes, it is snowing.
Isn't it supposed to be almost May? Did we accidentally skip May-September?
Isn't it supposed to be almost May? Did we accidentally skip May-September?

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 pm 
After that ugly report, I wish someone would me a hike within 1:15 drive that is doable leaving Seattle at 11a and returning by 5p. I think I'll be done with my work by 1030a or so tomorrow.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 pm 
The stench is nauseating all the way to Greenlake area! gag.gif Way to stink it up peoples! up.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:45 pm 
Way to go Jack!!! dance.gif chickenleg.gif up.gif Very entertaining TR!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:50 pm 
Yana wrote:
I was wondering why the inside of the car smelled so bad on the way back to Seattle. Oh well, could have been worse - at least PutridTom and PutridJasper were in another vehicle.
huh.gif Dad is the one who stinks. I smell like a nice fresh pile of poop. Oh, that's putrid? Never mind.

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 pm 
Perfect post - plenty of people pics, funny and clever story telling. Well done! agree.gif smile.gif

Yet

Yet
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 pm 
The only thing to redeem this putrid report is Jack's scramble. So cute! Sounds like a fun trip. smile.gif Except for Dirty Harry's Trail (I hate that trail!), and all the putridity - is that a word? And very entertaining TR, wamtnputridgal. biggrin.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 10:51 pm 
Dicey casually told me about this trip on Sunday, but never mentioned that it was practically an epic! Nice work toughing it out all the way to the top. The cornices look scary.

Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 8:53 am 
Stinky, rotten pile o' rocks, stinking up my brand new socks, post-holing up to my neck, off to bed like a train wreck. I adore Putrid Pete's dizzy.gif Except for the ankle breaker rocks, and the precipitous bridge crossings. Thanks kids for making the hard crust a bit softer winksmile.gif

Sunset is an all day process.