Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 pm 
  • Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009
  • Crew: yukon222 and Schmidt Altitude (Babe, Row, Kief, Dude)
  • Summits: Dirtybox Peak, 4926' (#97 Home Court 100, our 25th climbed); Mailbox Peak, 4841' (unranked - only 121' of prominence)
  • Area: Alpine Lakes - Snoqualmie Pass North
  • Stats: ~4400' gained, ~5.5 hours
The Dirtybox Identity Peak 4923 seemed to be a summit bourne without an identity. When special agent Jeff Howbert created the Home Court dossier, he gave this peak the mysterious code name Mount Defiance West Ridge Peak. Unfortunately, this led many agents to mistaking the location of this peak. Research shows that some people have thought that Web Mountain, 5335', only 1.33 miles WNW of Mount Defiance was it. Others thought it was Putrid Pete's Peak located between Web and Defiance. Still others looked farther west and thought it may be either Dirty Harry's Peak or Mailbox Peak. In truth, the peak lies 3.58 miles WNW of Mount Defiance between it's sub-summits Mailbox and Dirty Harry's Peaks. Thus, special agent gabrielx gave it a more descriptive code name: Dirtybox Peak.
Oh Mailbox trail, how we love thee!
Oh Mailbox trail, how we love thee!
Talus field traverse
Talus field traverse
Wishing for K9 traction instead of crampons
Wishing for K9 traction instead of crampons
The Dirtybox Supremacy Once our target had been correctly identified we set out to build our file. When on Mailbox Peak, Dirtybox looks like an easy ridge walk away. However all the agents reports that had met this peak indicated the difficulty of following the ridge. Gabrielx, Mesahchie Mark, and Randy all traversed on the SW side of the ridge to avoid some tricky rocky sections. Armed with this knowledge, we set out last Sunday to nab another Home Court Peak.
On the ridge to Dirtybox
On the ridge to Dirtybox
Dirtybox Ridge pano
5 labels
Dirtybox Ridge pano
Dude with Mailbox in the distance
The Dirtybox Ultimatum We were the first car at the "Road Closed" signs where the Middle Fork Road starts, which adds about another half mile of road walk to the trip. We blasted up the Mailbox trail (as much as one can blast up that trail) and hit snow just where the trail leaves the denser forest and becomes more open. We used the crusty steps already in the snow to make our way up past the talus field and through the last stand of trees before the summit.
Destination, Dirtybox!
Destination, Dirtybox!
Silvered trees
Silvered trees
Dirtybox Crew
Dirtybox Crew
At 4600', just below the last climb to Mailbox Peak, we left the trail and traversed under the Mailbox summit towards Dirtybox. The slope is very steep and we had to use crampons and ice axes to keep from sliding to our demise. Of course, the whippets ran back and forth like they didn't have a care in the world. About halfway to Dirtybox (or so we thought - we couldn't see anything through the thick fog), after traversing under a large rocky outcrop, we headed straight up to gain the ridge between the two peaks. The fog cleared enough for us to determine that we were indeed about half way between the two peaks. From this point it was a very simple ridge walk on hard snow over and up to the Dirtybox summit.
Just some simple sidehilling
Just some simple sidehilling
Approach to Mailbox
Approach to Mailbox
In the snowy basin below Mailbox
In the snowy basin below Mailbox
On the summit Dude tried to send a mini trip report to NWHikers but he couldn't quite get enough signal for the browser on his phone to work. On the way back towards Mailbox we decided to traverse on the NE side of the ridge instead. That side was a nice open bowl and much less steep than the SW side. Even though the snow up on the ridge above us was corninced it was cold and treed enough that we had no fear. It only took us 22 minutes to cross from Dirtybox over and up to the Mailbox summit. We wonder why everyone goes on the SW side?
Where are the heel lifters when you need them?
Where are the heel lifters when you need them?
Never pass up a glissade opportunity
Never pass up a glissade opportunity
I wonder if there'll be a lemonade stand....
I wonder if there'll be a lemonade stand....
Once up to Mailbox we stopped to talk with a few people on the summit who wanted to know what the traverse was like. Fellow NWHiker member Shadow came over and introduced himself (he recognized the whippets of course). We headed back down and passed about a gazillion people on their way up to the summit. It was humorous to see all the vehicles clogging up every available space when we returned to where we had parked. Some enterprising youngsters had set up a lemonade stand to sell refreshments to the thirsty hikers but none of us had any cash.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 pm 
One more ascent up the Mailbox trail. Guess the "parking out at the loop road" at least made the start of it different than all the other times. lol.gif Nothing really new on the trail conditions, just a slog up thru the trees with the typical exposed roots and rocks and patches of snow. Fun little traverse out onto the south slopes of the Mailbox ridge. Wish the clouds had lifted out of the way so we could have seen the views. Once past the rock barrier 1/3 of the way along the ridge, simple matter to regain the ridge line and work over towards the Dirtybox summit. Much simpler and quicker on the return trip via the north slopes. Since we didn't have views on either side due to clouds, a mini loop added a bit of interest to the destination.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 pm 
Great. Now I have this going trhough my head. rolleyes.gif Nice TR though. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
huron

huron
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 10:06 pm 
Entertaining report, dirty quintet! That glissade needs a video.

Roald

Roald
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 10:37 pm 
Thanks for the TR! Mailbox always seems like a consolation prize, when the weather is bad and there's only a few hours to get back to town. But now I've gotta get up there again to try that last lap over to Dirtybox. up.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 10:37 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Dirtybox Ridge pano
5 labels
Dirtybox Ridge pano
Beautiful shot for a foggy day. It's shrouded in mystery just enough to be intriguing.
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Dude looks a little too clean cut to be 'dirty'. smoker.gif

gone

gone
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 pm 
Great job all! And double bonus points for successfully capturing the palm sweating steepness in your pics ! up.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 pm 
Great job, everyone!!! This was a hike I was already planning for the near-future, myself. up.gif up.gif up.gif (Now I know who to thank for breaking trail...)

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
cmurph

cmurph
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 am 
Dirtybox Crew
Dirtybox Crew
This picture looks like it belongs on a Xmas card. Nice trip report guys!

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 8:36 am 
Thanks for the interesting read Schmidt Altitude. up.gif Your crew sure must have some stamina!

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Type E

Type E
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 9:18 am 
It's funny that was my planned trip for last week until my life got in the way. Or should I say the fish bite was the culprit. I agree about using north side it sure looks more inviting than the steep south traverse.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 3:32 pm 
Isn't that road closed to foot traffic as well as vehicles? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=491253#491253

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 3:55 pm 
Only during the weekdays. Hiking is allowed on weekends - handwritten on the Road Closed sign. (Hopefully by someone with authority to do so. lol.gif )

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 pm 
Very nice - wish I could had joined you guys for the lovely weather. up.gif I met Shadow last summer on Kaleetan, he certainly gets around! biggrin.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 pm 
North side is better... south side is better... blah blah blah. You are all wrong. The ridge is superior*. *Unless, of course, you don't like thrashing through small trees.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!

Fedor