Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallace Falls:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rentonhighlands

rentonhighlands
PostSat Jan 24, 2004 3:59 pm 
On jan 23 went to wallace falls...trail was great: I want to go to wallace lake.. anyone out there give me information about the hike to wallace lake..milage..trail.. what time of year would be best...? thanks..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostSun Jan 25, 2004 6:33 am 
There are Two different ways of getting to Wallace Lake. You can take the DNR route or the upper falls route. I usually do it in a loop and it is about 14 miles. The DNR route is really boring, it involves you walking on a maintained DNR road for about 6 miles. The lake isnt that scenic either, if you are looking for scenery Lake Serene or any one of t he other alpine lakes of similar vacinity have it beat hands down. The best things about Wallace lake is that you can do it year round and it is very close to the city. I use it for a conditioning hike because there are not lot of trails that I want to do in the spring when I am out of shape and everything is still snowcovered. ps. The route from the upper falls is really tricky. There is not a defined trail. You must follow diamonds attached to the trees to find your route.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent
JimK

JimK
PostSun Jan 25, 2004 9:18 am 
To clarify, the diamonds are from the upper falls to the old road. It takes less than 10 minutes to get there. There is a fairly obvious route although just going straight up will get you there. As stated it is not a wide trail. The loop used to be one of my favorite winter trips when the old logging road had narrowed to a grassy trail. Since they returned it to a wide graveled road I seldom go up to the lake.