Forum Index > Trip Reports > Touching the Void
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 24, 2004 2:32 am 
Saw this tonight at the Egyptian perhaps the best climbing movie ever made. If you get a chance see it! up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Jan 24, 2004 2:54 pm 
So I've heard. Here's some interesting background on it I posted earlier. FYI, a NYTimes reviewer gave it a lukewarm review, but got feedback from people who had seen it and got taken to task for his bad review. I look forward to seeing it.

jlk

jlk
PostSun Jan 25, 2004 9:40 am 
I read the book a couple months ago, attended the book signing at REI on Tuesday, and then saw the movie last night. I was very impressed by the movie. I thought the narration and dramatization format worked well. The shots of Siula Grande are really impressive. This is one to see in the theater! up.gif up.gif up.gif BTW, Tuesday's event at REI was well worth the 100 mile RT drive, if just to see Joe's intense reaction to a question from a member of the audience. The person asked how long it took for Simon to accept Joe's forgiveness. Based on the intensity of Joe's response, it was obvious that the question had really touched a nerve. He replied that Simon had done nothing wrong that would require forgiveness. I think it was a really memorable moment for everyone in the audience and was an amazing ending to the Q&A session. -- jlk

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jan 25, 2004 7:56 pm 
I saw the movie today. Wow! This is the first climbing movie I've seen that got the climbing part right, first off. And the way the movie portrays the whole gastly experience was really well done. I winced every time Joe fell over trying to get through the moraine. up.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic