Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Goat Lake Circa 1923
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostWed Dec 31, 2003 4:41 pm 
Found this postcard while searching through a stamp collection I inherited for info on the "Mining in King Co." thread. The caption reads "Goat Lake near Big Four Inn". However the lake is at least 12 miles from the Inn. The card was sent on Sept. 12th, 1925 from Everett to his future wife who was in Cashmere at the time. Dear Alice, Am sending you a picture of the place where we have planned to go camping. Remember? We are taking the 5:00 PM car from Hartford today for Monte Cristo from where we will hike to Index. Better join us. Floyd From the pictures I've seen, they liked to ride the Everett to Monte Cristo train and explore the area. Not sure how they hooked up for this outing!
GoatLake1923
GoatLake1923

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostWed Dec 31, 2003 6:27 pm 
Very nice. Interesting perspective from high above the current trail. Are there perhaps other postcards you can show us?

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Jan 26, 2004 4:33 pm 
I couldn't find any similar postcards in my collection but I found photos from the same studio (Juleen Studio in Everett) in the UW archives. UW Archives - Juleen Collection Great pictures of Big Four Inn, Monte Cristo, and some of the surrounding lakes, etc.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Jan 26, 2004 4:53 pm 
Neat stuff, thanks for sharing. up.gif UW Collections has some great stuff- even if you have to undergo a cavity search and leave pens at the desk! biggrin.gif I like the photo of "Crater Lake" from atop Del Campo. How did that Reformatory pic get in there- stunning! biggrin.gif The Everett Public Library Northwest room is also a good depository of interesting pics and reads, and has its own friendly librarians to help with research. You can buy copies of many of their NW photos- I have some good ones of the Big Four Inn, Mukilteo lighthouse early 1900s, Dungeness LH before they shortened it, etc.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jan 26, 2004 6:26 pm 
Cool find. What's it got for a stamp? What you gonna do with the collection? hmmmm? uh? N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 26, 2004 6:31 pm 
Awesome shots, thanks for the link. I already had a similar link in my favorites, the one for King County snapshots. I just changed it to the library's homepage, so I can browse all the collections easily. biggrin.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jan 26, 2004 11:13 pm 
I like this one.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostTue May 11, 2004 1:00 pm 
It always suprises me how little the water level fluctuates at these mountain lakes even after almost a hundred years

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent
touron

touron
PostTue May 11, 2004 7:35 pm 
Nice link Dayhike Mike

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 11, 2004 11:16 pm 
Yep. Fond memories of my trip to Twin Lakes last year...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostThu May 13, 2004 10:26 pm 
Has anyone tried to go from Twin Lakes down Red gulch into Index

Echo
not a voice

Echo
not a voice
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:45 pm 
Cameron wrote:
Has anyone tried to go from Twin Lakes down Red gulch into Index
confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif If they did, they probably didn't make it. shakehead.gif

Sweetest Echo, sweetest nymph, that liv'st unseen Within thy airy shell, by slow Meander's margent green, And in the violet-embroidered vale.
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostSun May 16, 2004 4:08 pm 
What do you mean they probably didnt make it, I have heard it is hard but I know people have done it.

Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostSun May 16, 2004 4:11 pm 
I guess it is more from Silver Lake but if you follow Red Gulch down you hit Silver creek which intersects the Skykomish right at Skyco 3

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon May 17, 2004 7:57 am 
Cameron - The problem seems to be your inclusion of Red Gulch in the equation. Red Gulch does come down the north wall of the Silver Creek drainage, but it starts on the west side of Silvertip Peak. Getting there from Silver Lake would be difficult ...... and useless. There's a trail that runs from Poodledog Pass down Silver Creek all the way to the Skykomish. It's not maintained between Mineral City and the pass, but it's used fairly frequently and it's been reported on by several members of this forum. Those may well be the successes you've heard about. Getting down from Twin Lakes is something else again. Twin Lakes is not connected to Silver Creek. It's the source of the West Fork of Troublesome Creek. A number of us have been exploring the possibilities of that route for quite a while (Lopper and Newt have been probing it for 30 or 35 years!) but so far we don't know anyone who has made it. You might try running a search on "Troublesome Creek" here on the forum. It's an intriguing area and it's gotten quite a lot of attention. But it needs more agree.gif because we still haven't made the connection. shakehead.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!