Forum Index > Trail Talk > Some lowland backpacking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
janders

janders
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 1:00 pm 
OK, the bug hit me and I'm itching to get out and do some backpacking. I doubt I can convince the folks I'm going with to partake in snow camping, though. Anyone have some good recommendations on a decent early season non-snow backpacking trip? Preferably along Hwy 2 or I-90 somewhere. Thanks!

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 3:19 pm 
I'm far from knowledgable about it, but the only thing that comes to mind is Boulder River, but it's only 4 miles out and pretty crowded this time of year. I only remember a few camping spots, and I'd imagine they fill up quickly. You might have better luck in the Olympics, around Hoh, Sol Duc, etc. I'm not up to date on snow levels either, but Thunder Creek Trail in the lower North Cascades should be thawing soon if it hasn't already. The same for the Baker River Trail. They both have intermittent campgrounds.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:02 pm 
Well sir, that's a good question. Normally this time of year you could go up the North Fork of the Snoqualmie and stop (no marked sign) at the Sunday lake parking area and snow free your way into the lake. You have to cross Sunday creek in the process but that's no big deal. I havent been up there this year but I bet its clear. Take a raft and raft to the southern most end of the lake. There you'll ususally find an eagles nest in an old maple tree this time of year. That or drive up the middle fork of the snoqualmie and stop after 11 miles or so at the LARGE parking lot. Cross the foot bridge, turn left and hike up the trail some miles to the dingford creek foot bridge. Cross that and take the road back for a round trip! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 5:42 pm 
BPJ, anybody who trys to cross Sunday Creek at this time of year is either crazy or dead. - Choose one. moon.gif Janders, try the ocean beaches. It's a darned long drive and you've got to pay attention to the tides, but it's a good place to go this time of year. Some of the other folks can probably suggest specific beaches/camps. I think you're probably kidding yourself about Route 2 and I-90.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 1:30 am 
Yo Ebineezer, I've crossed her in the spring a few times! I guess I'm crazy cause I'm NOT dead! Crossed her to go up to Loch Katrine too. Ca-mon, where's your sense of adventure. Doing stuff like that is the closest thing we can get to around here of being DEEP in the outback of B.C. or Alaska!!!! From the moment you step out of your car at the trailhead it's a risk!!! backPacker-joe-bob!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 7:01 am 
Janders- If you 're interested in the hanging out in the transitional area, i.e. dry forest/arid lands-try the Umptanum-south of Ellensburg--there's a number of ways to get into it-the swinging bridge across the Yakima R. where Umptanum Creek comes into the R. You could start from the Selah-Ellensburg Road and get up on the west of the ridge--a fairly strenuos walk until on top. You could drop over the Skyline Rim Trail into the Payatoo. Some neat country if you're into a little drier clime.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 7:19 am 
I don't like wading, BPJ. To get to Loch Katrine I take the same road as for Lake Phillipa, only I turn left after crossing the bridge over Phillipa Creek. The road goes all the way to the lake (meets the one coming up from Sunday Creek about half way up). The Weyerhaeuser people are saying the snows still down pretty far, but if it doesn't rain I'm going up to the tree farm, Saturday, and I'll get back here with a reading.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 7:34 am 
I await your report my good man! TB

Dante

Dante
PostSat Apr 27, 2002 4:18 pm 
I saw an article a while back (Backpacker Magazine's site maybe) about off-season hikes for various parts of the US. For around here they suggested the Olympic Coast and the Yakima Rim trail. I tried to get Backpacker Joe to try the Yakima Rim trail last fall but he had to work. I'm still interested.