Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB 2009-05-14 - Putrid Pete's Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TNAB

TNAB
PostFri May 15, 2009 1:59 am 
Watching the weather turn my yard into a mud bog all week did not make me too excited for this week's TNAB on Putrid Pete's Peak. Oh well. At least Zeus and Athena will get out and get some exercise... Too bad Zeus ended up with a kidney infection this week (ouch) so he had to sit on the sidelines with his injured mom. Athena was happy to leave her brother (and mom) at home, as long as she got to enjoy her TLAB adventure. Driving up to exit 42 made me a little more optimistic. It was barely raining, and it looked like we might not get soaked this evening. The crew assembled at the end of the short road off the freeway and we got an early start around 5:45pm. We, of course, weren't "cheating" by leaving early.... we had to climb up to the Ira Spring Trailhead from exit 42 since the road to the usual parking lot was washed out. Once up on the road (NFD 9031), we could see the damage for ourselves. A massive land/rock/sand slide on what appeared to be a small outlet of Mason Creek, plus Mason Creek itself was pouring across the road, completely ignoring the fact that automobiles are supposed to drive along there. Heading up the Ira Spring Trail, we launched off to the west into the woods as the main trail makes it's first u-turn back to the east. Not a maintained trail, but a decent boot path that turns into a series of switchbacks as it climbs up and up. I was rather surprised that this boot path was in decent shape, I was expecting much worse. But what really surprised me more was how many of the switchbacks had "bonus" trails running off into the woods. It was good to have others nearby who had done this before. At around 4000 feet we popped out onto the ridge line and found ourselves more or less heading straight up. There was some fresh, wet snow, enough to make the footing difficult when mixed with the dirt, vegetation, and rocks. A couple sections of solid snow towards the top provided some nice boot steps, but I spent most of that time calling Athena back away from the ridge line edge so that she didn't fall off into the abyss. Most of the group summited before 8:00pm and we scrapped the usual group photo since we couldn't safely cram everyone on the peak. It was slick and cold up there, but at least it wasn't raining. Everyone seemed anxious to get heading in the downhill direction. The descent was fairly uneventful. No major mishaps coming down the difficult upper 1000 feet, even with everyone gawking at the sunset which decided to give us a show. A few rocks were dislodged and tumbled down, but everyone was very good about letting their downhill companions know what was coming. Lower down, a large part of the group tried to take one of those switchback "detours" and headed off towards Dirty Harry's... it didn't take long before the trail became very unfamiliar and we spun around and backtracked to the main trail. Wait, did I just admit to being part of that? Oops. It took a little longer than expected on the descent, we managed to reach the cars around 11:00pm. Not too bad. Everyone was accounted for. Damn. That means it's not an official TNAB. There was some talk about making the last one down stay out there a little while longer... Of course the Pour House was ready for us. I didn't get any good pictures of the hike, but I got a great one of the devastation I brought on to my post-hike beef nachos.
beefnachos
beefnachos

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostFri May 15, 2009 5:39 am 
Sounds like you still had a pretty good time even if there was some extra hiking on the way in and out. Sorry I couldn't make it. They scheduled training at 4pm but I should be there next time. Can't wait for the pictures.

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostFri May 15, 2009 6:10 am 
I kept telling dad it was TNAB night, but he said that he had some gardening to do, and that we had just been up Putrid Pete's ~three weeks ago. That's like forever in doggy time though, and Athena was going to be there! Maybe next week. hmmm.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri May 15, 2009 8:31 am 
Very fun hike - the extra 600' from Exit 42 was pleasant hiking along Mason Creek. Informal bootpath but the forest was open enough to allow easy travel. Still plenty of snow near the summit with 24" postholes. Clouds didn't part as early as hoped but we did catch a 2 minute burst of sunset color after we had left the summit.
Moosefish relieved his helmet wasn't tested tonight!
Moosefish relieved his helmet wasn't tested tonight!
slippery descent where fresh snow made it tricky
slippery descent where fresh snow made it tricky
pause on the steep slopes for no reason  ;-)
pause on the steep slopes for no reason ;-)
follow the light...
follow the light...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 15, 2009 8:59 am 
As Spock would say "fascinating" eek.gif Exit 42N is a typical I-90 seldom used off ramp complete with shooting gallery and tank traps. An amazing larg log to cross Mason Creek but the subsequent braid fords were nothing to write home about. There were some major slides and washouts on the road last winter.
Junction with Road
Junction with Road
Washout 1
Washout 1
Washout 2
Washout 2
But the side trail was quick and far less of a pain than the road. The parking lot gave the first views of PPP and to the south.
Trail Pass?
Trail Pass?
Parking Lot View
Parking Lot View
The trail was as usual surprisingly good until it reached the open. The new snow made the scramble up the steep dirt treacherous with the only relief being deep snow on the cornice portion. Not much time for summit pix and it was down in fading light.
First Light
First Light
Sunset
Sunset
Waning Light
Waning Light
By now it was time to get out headlamps, do a head check and retie two bootlaces. GPS Track of route.
Party catch up
Party catch up
PPP
PPP
Way down was uneventful but slow with an unexpected opportunity to check out the trail to Dirty Harry's Balcony banghead.gif . It took a half hour longer to get down than up. Good time had by all.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gone

gone
PostFri May 15, 2009 9:47 am 
Way to go TNAB, a very strong effort! up.gif Man, the pics really capture the steepness! eek.gif

whitebark

whitebark
PostFri May 15, 2009 9:52 am 
Wow, what an accomplishment to climb Putrid Petes Peak after work! That is one long climb even when you can park at the Mason Lake TH. It would be interesting to find out the history of the abandoned trail that partially ascends Putrid Petes Peak. A lot of effort went into building that trail, which has a wide, well-constructed tread. Was the Forest Service thinking of putting a lookout up there?

Kirbinator

Kirbinator
PostFri May 15, 2009 10:34 am 
Darn! My friend and I got to the parking “lot” 5 min late and missed you guys frown.gif we followed your trail through the woods and up up up to the ridge. We climbed part way up the rocks/snow and saw someone climbing above us, but we turned around before making it to the top to meet you guys because my buddy got scared. LAME! Coming down through the woods was much more eventful for us! We lost the trail a couple times in the dark and stumbled down the river until we found it again. Coming down from the Ira Springs TH to our cars we ran into some guy who said he ran into you all at the top! I’m so bummed I didn’t make it to the peak. I work nights for the rest of summer so no more TNAB adventures for a while shakehead.gif

fwb

fwb
PostFri May 15, 2009 12:09 pm 
Glad to join you guys on the trip. There were two of us (Reggie WAS in the pack...). Glad to catch you two gals on the bottom part and hike the last part out with you. Some eye candy:
Heading up from exit 42 to the Mason Lake TH Road
The creek over the road
Are we there yet? At the TH

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat May 16, 2009 12:04 am 
fwb2 wrote:
This looks pretty challenging to me, glad everyone came back in one piece.
yukon222 wrote:
follow the light...
follow the light...
The eerie lighting and low clouds make an interesting sunset photo. Great capture!

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSat May 16, 2009 8:39 am 
This could become one of my favorites...without the slippery clumps of grass...Let's hope they decide not to fix the forest road.

Z&A
leading the lykkens

Z&A
leading the lykkens
PostSat May 16, 2009 7:24 pm 
Jasper wrote:
and Athena was going to be there!
Digger had all the ladies to himself, you missed out!

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat May 16, 2009 7:58 pm 
TNAB on a Friday? Isn't that more like FNAB?

zeusdaddy

zeusdaddy
PostSun May 17, 2009 4:36 pm 
Layback wrote:
TNAB on a Friday? Isn't that more like FNAB?
Ooops! I corrected the title... it was late, I was tired... redface.gif

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostSun May 17, 2009 5:50 pm 
Great effort and nice pics.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!