Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Pilchuck Ascent - Above the Clouds - Jan. 21, 2004
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 11:05 pm 
Mt. Pilchuck Ascent - Above The Clouds - Jan. 21, 2004 With the weather being cold lately, I kept hearing the mountain (Pilchuck) calling may way for me to climb it again, so I packed my gear in the truck the night before for an early start. In the early fogbound morn I headed for the mountain. Upon arriving, I found it to be a crisp-clear blue-sky type day brewing. As I climbed attaining elevation (the North Face Route) all the major peaks and mountains were bathed in the morning sunlight sticking out like sore thumbs cloaked in winter-white snow: the Twin Sisters Range, Mt. Baker, Shuksan, Glacier Peak, and Mt. Rainier, as well as the sub peaks like Three Fingers, Liberty, Big Four, Vesper, Morning Star, Del Campo, Forgotten, Sloan, Pugh, and all the rest. And about as far as the eye could see, the snowcapped pinnacles dotted the horizon inland to the Northeast. Westerly, a magnificent blanket of clouds resembling that of a giant's pillow, covered the entire Puget sound area and its cities. The Olympic Mountains rose above it all. At hand, beneath my feet, the mountain Pilchuck was froze solid! Only a skiff of about a 1/2 inch of snow was soft, the rest was hardpack and mostly ice. There would be no post-holing today, I thought. With ice ax in hand and crampons attached to the boots, I continued up the mountain absorbed in the beauty of the day. Eventually I attained the saddle, and then the summit peak, signing the registry around noon. Nearby, two fellows who had come up the Trail Route using snowshoes with claws, sat enjoying the view. We chatted for a bit about how "glorious" the weather was. Soon, after taking some pictures, they departed leaving me alone atop the mountain. We wished each other well. A few hours passed soaking in the view just loafing about the top (5,324') before I bid farewell to the summit and commenced back down the route I came up. Below the saddle, I ran into a fellow named Steve, who was attempting to gain the summit -- wishing he had crampons, so he told me. He seemed in good shape, had an ice ax strapped to his pack, and sported ski poles for grip. He ask how it was and I told him he should be able to make it. But cautioned, telling him about a fellow I had seen fall about 40 feet, hitting a tree, and then falling into a hole just above the saddle about a year ago. When I got to the guy, he had no broken bones but was pretty shook up, even had lost his ice ax which I found. At any rate, I was thankful for the crampons I always carry during any climbs on snow or ice, to use where they are needed. Having had good the exercise, got the 360 degree "superb" view I had sought, plus breathing in the crisp-clean mountain air of the day, I felt content, fulfilled! I retreated therefrom the mountain and left it to the creatures of the night shift . . . McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostThu Jan 22, 2004 2:49 pm 
Where you able to drive all the way to the trailhead. Last time I tried heading up there it was snowed in.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jan 22, 2004 10:42 pm 
I drove all the way, tho snow and ice on road about a mile from trailhead parking, 4x4 with high clearance required. Snow level coming down to 500 or 1,000 feet in the inland hills over the weekend so they report...could be quite a drive for a while if that happens as the road is about 7 miles up from the Hwy. Recommend wait for better weather opportunities and conditions. McPil

Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 1:47 am 
Thanks for the info I wont try it untill later this spring

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 11:44 pm 
Photographs From The Wild: A Pilchuck Gallery Page can be found at my site under Intimate Alpine Exposures...on the main page. (note, the links aren't attached) McPil