Forum Index > Trip Reports > Patterson Mountain Meadow Tour
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm 
Last June Peg and I went up Patterson Mountain and although the views were great we were too late for the wildflower show. I won't repeat directions and trip info which is covered in this 2008 TR. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967613&highlight=Patterson+Mountain Today we timed it well for the flowers but picked the only cloudy day in 2 weeks. It was pleasant, 67 degrees at 10:00 AM as we started up. Last year we saw cattle but today it was horses in the low pastures.
Horses 1.JPG
Horses 1.JPG
Horses 2.JPG
Horses 2.JPG
Horses 3.JPG
Horses 3.JPG
Horses 4.JPG
Horses 4.JPG
As we left the lower pastures you cross the fence on this stile.
Peg on stile.JPG
Peg on stile.JPG
The lower level flowers were past peak but soon we reached the moist draws with fragrant lupines, endless balsam root, bitterroot larkspur and others.
Balsam root.JPG
Balsam root.JPG
Larkspur.JPG
Larkspur.JPG
Early meadow.JPG
Early meadow.JPG
Fragrant lupine.JPG
Fragrant lupine.JPG
More Meadow.JPG
More Meadow.JPG
It was nearly impossible to shoot meadows without capturing the mountain ranges around the Methow. At the summit Peg preferred to enjoy the views, collect some seeds and sunshine
Summit cairn.JPG
Summit cairn.JPG
Summit meadow with Story Peak and Gardners.JPG
Summit meadow with Story Peak and Gardners.JPG
Upper Meadow.JPG
Upper Meadow.JPG
Isabella over Peg.JPG
Isabella over Peg.JPG
while I walked to the south end of Patterson for views of the Sawtooth Range, into Elbow Coulee and over Moccasin Lake.
Moccasin Lake 1.JPG
Moccasin Lake 1.JPG
Moccasin Lake 2.JPG
Moccasin Lake 2.JPG
Moccasin Lake 3.JPG
Moccasin Lake 3.JPG
South to Sawtooths.JPG
South to Sawtooths.JPG
Birds were plentiful and we saw one Western bluebird which was too quick for me so I did not get a photo. This final shot is of Robinson Moutain looming over the upper Methow and our home in the Lost river canyon.
Robinson over the Upper Methow Valley.JPG
Robinson over the Upper Methow Valley.JPG
Which is where we headed after lunch in town and a bit of shopping.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 27, 2009 8:27 am 
The Elbow Coulee pic sure is nice. Hazy day? We saw fire smoke toward Loup Loup on Monday - I called the RS in Winthrop yesterday to ask about the dead-looking shrubbery in the area (freeze damage, it's not dead). I mentioned the smoke and she said it was a prescribed fire. Unfortunately, the conditions on Memorial Day were perfect for the fire. I'll bet that ruined a picnic or two. BL, have you ever been to Pipestone Canyon?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 27, 2009 10:32 am 
Don't think Patterson has escaped my eye winksmile.gif , nice wildflower pics, I kept stopping on the way back from Burgett and Sweetgrass and taking pics. up.gif It's always Spring somewhere. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostWed May 27, 2009 2:05 pm 
Quark wrote:
The Elbow Coulee pic sure is nice. Hazy day? We saw fire smoke toward Loup Loup on Monday - I called the RS in Winthrop yesterday to ask about the dead-looking shrubbery in the area (freeze damage, it's not dead). I mentioned the smoke and she said it was a prescribed fire. Unfortunately, the conditions on Memorial Day were perfect for the fire. I'll bet that ruined a picnic or two. BL, have you ever been to Pipestone Canyon?
Have I ever been to Pipestone? clown.gif Posted this last June. The earlier the better if planning to go there as the rattlin snakes eek.gif love that area and come out to play in the hot weather. It is well worht the trip! up.gif https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967835&highlight=Pipestone