Forum Index > Trail Talk > Eagle Creek - Seeking more info
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Apr 27, 2002 2:23 pm 
I've been a wondering if there is tent camping allowed along the trail or at the end. If so, are there specific dates? How about any camping near the trailhead. Am thinking a Fri night drive down and camp, hike to end Sat and camp then return on Sun. Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSat Apr 27, 2002 9:27 pm 
Hey Newt, The Eagle Creek trail is superb -- best creek I've ever hiked. I've camped at the 6 mile (?? not sure of mileage -- loaned out my maps last week??) camp 4 years ago. There are several other camps along the creek. The trail is quite popular. Many years ago I camped at Wahtum Lake (13 miles). Unfortunately, it was possible to drive there in those days. Not sure if that is still possible? I prefer the creek camps. Since they made the area a Nat'l Rec Area the rules may have changed. Suggest checking with the authorities.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 8:00 am 
There is a regular car camping campground not far from the trail head. You make a left that goes up the hill instead of going right that goes to the trail head. I DO NOT recommend this campground unless you like to listen to trains rumble through all night. As rubberlegs mentioned, there are several places to camp along the trail, with some decent ones after you pass High Bridge(3.3 mi) on the right side of the trail (about 3.5 miles/about room for 2-3 tents)and then a little bit further on is another obvious camping spot. When you get to a place where you see an outhouse (a camp at close to the 4 mile mark) there are multiple camp spots right on Eagle creek (do you like company?) After you cross the bridge there, in a short distance you'll see some more camp spots on the right and there are more camp sites beyond but I don't remember how far they are. However, if you are a Hennessy Hammock user, you could camp alot of places that aren't flat enough for a tent. Great hike.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 9:29 am 
Whoa! Camping in a hammock? The thought never even crossed my mind. That would be so cool! Forget a tent. Do they make "portable" hammocks that are easy to put up? Seems like the ultralight folks would be all over this, unless a hammock weighs more than I'm thinking.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 5:15 pm 
mcaver, you can indeed camp in a hammock. I've been doing so now for a year, after forty years of sleeping in tents with pads. Check out this website of a Sgt. Rock agree.gif as he has done a lot of work on the subject. I got interested via his input and I bought the ultralight Hennessy Hammock model that weighs under two pounds. I've got some pics at my Yahoo briefcase. It has changed the way I've been camping. Worth looking into. BTW, there was a thread here at NW Hikers not long ago.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 5:27 pm 
Thinkin this will be my next overnighter. Yup!! Looks like a lot of trails in the lake area plus some of the PCT. Neat-o http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.a....=10&W=2 Thanks for the input NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 7:57 pm 
Those hammocks look cool. I may check those out when I start doing some backcountry camping. Let the bears get in a good game of tetherball. tongue.gif I'm not much of a gear guy so I usually pass on the gear talk forum, so I miss these things. Thanks for pointing it out. So would you be able to camp anywhere with this thing, even on the trail outside of normal campgrounds? No fire of course, but someone in the other thread mentioned hiking until you got tired, throw up the hammock, sleep, start again the next morning. Does the NPS/NFS actually allow that for hammocks? Seems there would be a lot more doing it.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 9:45 pm 
Actually Hammock camping is low impact so you just need two good trees (no widow makers around) and set up. I did that last year just off the Stuart Lake trail. It was late, I found a place that was somewhat level underneath (for gear) and set it up. Special straps protect the tree trunks so there shouldn't be a problem from NPS/NFS people. Really a stealth camping concept. A guy last year did the whole PCT with a Hennessy Hammock and a couple of guys are doing the AT this year. BTW, when I camped out last year, I only used the Hammock in three regular camping areas, the other 7 times were not in regular camping sites. Lots of potential with this method.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 10:25 pm 
This is so sweet. The potential with hammocks is amazing. There are several places I want to try to catch sunset photos, but they are several miles from the nearest campground or trailhead. I've hiked in the dark a few times already and I don't particularly care for it. As long as there's trees around, I could hike out and throw up a hammock beforehand and sleep at the spot! No more night hikes! So I take it there are 2 versions of this thing -- an ultralight for those fortunate to be under 200 lbs, and one for the rest of us. tongue.gif Actually, I'm just under 200 lbs, but I'd rather not risk a mishap. I take it I'd need the "normal" version? Hopefully it's not called anything like "ultraheavy"! tongue.gif With all the camera gear I lug around, what's an extra few ounces, eh? I'm am so Rayway! rolleyes.gif