Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Monte Cristo Area--A Complete Outdoor Guide
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSat Feb 28, 2009 4:56 pm 
That's each. Jimbo - Ya know I'll lend you mine. Of cource the NW room of the Everett library probally has a copy as well, not to mention the Monte Cristo and Everett rail book.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 1:31 am 
I remember visiting the lodge (?) when I was a kid. A friend of ours owned the Sheridan Mine. We would hike in and do work on the mine, stay the weekend. I remember hiking into twin lakes and fishing. You could catch trout with a bare hook! I need to get back up there some day.

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 7:54 am 
whitebark wrote:
The routes marked by a line of x's are "proposed trails" and don't mean anything.
Yes, some of Major's routes were pure fantasy. The lodge was originally the mess hall for the Boston-American mining company & after everything shut down it became a lodge, restaurant & museum. It was a great place to stop for a beer after a climb. It was the last intact building left standing. A reliable rumor has it that a group of teenagers from my neighborhood walked in there from Barlow Pass in the winter of 1983 & broke into the lodge to get out of the weather & get warm. They built a fire in the fireplace but the chimney was blocked/closed up for the winter. The fire got out of control and burned the lodge & it's contents to the ground.

Maarten
Silly

Maarten
Silly
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 11:29 pm 
That .45 Mines history is a fun quick read. Instructive to see how they struggled to get it going for years, at least one man actively involved for more than 40 years. The property is still privately owned as a mining property.

drakonis

drakonis
PostWed May 27, 2009 5:23 pm 
Schroder wrote:
whitebark wrote:
The routes marked by a line of x's are "proposed trails" and don't mean anything.
Yes, some of Major's routes were pure fantasy. The lodge was originally the mess hall for the Boston-American mining company & after everything shut down it became a lodge, restaurant & museum. It was a great place to stop for a beer after a climb. It was the last intact building left standing. A reliable rumor has it that a group of teenagers from my neighborhood walked in there from Barlow Pass in the winter of 1983 & broke into the lodge to get out of the weather & get warm. They built a fire in the fireplace but the chimney was blocked/closed up for the winter. The fire got out of control and burned the lodge & it's contents to the ground.
wow, thats crazy i camped the previous summer up in glacier basin and remember the lodge being there. hoping this summer to get back up there with the fam.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu May 28, 2009 10:58 pm 
I've been up Foggy through Ida Pass. I believe the trail shown on the map to the left of Cadet is near the approximate line of our ascent. Nothing but thick brush bashing to be found there for 2,500 feet. Such a bummer that's gone... Amazing country up there. What I would give to have spent a night in that town when it was swinging. What an outstanding location. It's a shame that we've lost the road access. You're all familiar with this I presume: http://mcpa.us/

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club
PostSat May 30, 2009 6:33 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
Amazon has a pair of the Harry Majors books for $50 (really not a bad price), if you' all want your own copy. Jimbo - Download the Gov't books, and look through them. You will like the 45 mine book. It's a written account of the history of that mine. RARE II is the one with cool maps in the back.
A snippet of a map out of RARE II 
Mineral Investigation of the Glacier Peak Wilderness an Adjacent Areas 
Chelan, Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Washington
A snippet of a map out of RARE II Mineral Investigation of the Glacier Peak Wilderness an Adjacent Areas Chelan, Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Washington
Holy cow! Thanks for posting that link, H. Hound. I followed it, not expecting to find anything at this late date, and lo! I was able to snag a copy of Monte Cristo Area - a Complete Outdoor Guide for less than $10, including shipping! I'm giddy! (And the 45 Mine history and the other pdfs are pretty cool, too.)

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat May 30, 2009 8:15 pm 
Schroder wrote:
whitebark wrote:
Yes, some of Major's routes were pure fantasy.
Ya. But I sure had a good time map-hiking them till I found that out. Harry had a great imagination. agree.gif Peltoms, I xeroxed half the book about 10 years ago. I'll see if I can't pick out a few of the "better" maps and send you copies. (They'll be a little rough, copies of old copies of an old book). edit - Whitebark, you left "Area" out of your subject. Key word. I was guessing that it sounded just like Majors' book, till somebody confirmed that it was.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat May 30, 2009 11:05 pm 
Dogpatch wrote:
A while back, someone here (maybe Sorefeet?) offered to make a PDF file of the book and post it online. I imagine he'd have to talk to Harry Majors first, but it sounded like a great idea. Anyone know what became of the idea?
Offer still stands. Legal issues would probably preclude it from being posted online short of a complete release by Majors, but maybe someone wants to make a donation to the NWHikers traveling library? suuure.gif

cloud9alpine

cloud9alpine
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 8:28 pm 
I have a copy for sale. $50

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 2:38 pm 
I actually purchased that book in the late 70's and it is autographed by the author. It was for sale in a grocery store that has long since closed that was up just past Verlot.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 3:05 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
a grocery store that has long since closed that was up just past Verlot
up.gif Lil's Grocery

trestle

trestle
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 11:24 am 
I found some pics from the old Foggy Mine on flickr one day, taken when the USBM was there for a survey. What an amazing setting and what it must have been like to spend a winter there.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 12:29 pm 
Interesting photo set, Trestle. Thanks for sharing them. Great helo shots. Too bad there's no narrative to go with them. Looks like they took a "few" samples with them! up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
trestle

trestle
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 12:49 pm 
There's a short caption with each photo that helps explain a tiny bit but it would great to have a full narrative. Somewhere I had read a memoir of that trip from the photographer but I don't recall where I saw it or if I bookmarked it. I'll keep looking.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode