Forum Index > Trail Talk > It's the getting there - the destination ain't all that counts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
IBEX

IBEX
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 10:30 pm 
P-bear... I’m not sure why they were called Astro eggs. But, I suspect that it had to do with your cholesterol level after consuming the product. But, the truth is...Astro Eggs are: Dried or dehydrated egg products. Known also as egg solids, these have been produced in the united States since 1930, but demand was minimal until World War II when production reached peak levels to meet military and lend-lease requirements. While quality of the early product was poor, it has now been greatly improved. Dried egg products are used in a wide number of convenience foods and in the foodservice industry. With the exception of some camping supply store, dried eggs are not available at present on the retail market.... ref AMERICAN EGG BOARD Eggcyclopedia biggrin.gif Excuse the drift. But, freeze-dried eggs don't deserve their own thread.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
janders

janders
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 11:06 pm 
With the notable exception of astro eggs, this thread is fast becoming a to-do list for me. Thanks for all the good info, folks... wink.gif

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 11:10 am 
It's the getting there. You are right on that one...it makes me recall my first solo trip. I was 19 and decided to see if Tuck and Robin were as beautiful as the trip reports in Signpost Magazine said they were. (This being soooo long ago, there were no restrictions or permit requirements, so I took my faithful canine companion Opie). On the drive there, an early morning heading west from my home in Moses Lake on I-90, a car pulled alongside me with two similarly aged occupants. They started to pass, then slowed and rolled down their window. They had apparently been on a road trip to Idaho. The passenger offered me a COORS, the mysterious brew available at that time only in the Rocky Mountain states. I graciously accepted with a hearty "Thanks, man!", and stashed it in a trailside stream for the return trip. Opie and I found our way to Tuck, then up and over the granite slabs to Robin Lakes where we spent a couple days exploring and long nights under the stars. I don't recall seeing anyone else except on the trail down in the valley near Hyas Lake. biggrin.gif What a fun memory. Another fun time was the first overnighter I took my son on. We visited MRNP, camped at a site near Frozen Lake and dayhiked up Burroughs Mountain well above the treeline on a perfect day. Hiking along the ridge with the mountain lying out in front of us was sublime. The only bad part of the whole trip was when he lost the pocketknife my dad had given me when I was my son's age... ah well.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 1:29 pm 
The trail on the Baltoro Glacier is a favorite. Peaks literally rise 6-12 thousand feet directly up from where you are standing. Fricken ass impressive. The drive to there is a pain in the ass though, but adventuresome. Probably one my most local memorable was walking back on the trail from a one day summit of Mt. Shucksan. We decided to split up and walk separately under the full moon enjoying the quietness and full moon brightness. No headtorch required…….

Art is an adventure.
Lurk

Lurk
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 1:36 pm 
Has to be in the Olympics on the Bailey Range Traverse beyond the Catwalk...impressive views of Mt. Olympus and lots of wildlife to see...all on a way route thread on open high ground.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Hunk

Hunk
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 3:48 pm 
hey Lurk, when's a good time of year for tripping along the Bailey?

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 3:57 pm 
One of the best aspects of hiking to me is finding the above-treeline alpine landscapes, observing and photographing the perfect rock/bonsai gardens of nature. Some typical areas that come to mind are upper Rampart Ridge, Spray Park, Surprise Lake (west end), Hidden Lakes Lookout trail, and Mt. Pilchuck (away from the trail). I'd be interested in hearing about other similar places.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Apr 26, 2002 8:14 pm 
I've been on the Bailey Range Traverse, here's a read. As far as going, July is good, but this year I suspect Aug might be better due to snow conditions, though it's different than the Cascades as you probably know. One thing about the Olympics, especially the Bailey, count on being fogged/clouded in much of the time below 4,000 feet, as the marine pressure rolls thru the river valleys and up the shoulders of the range, making it tough to navigate when you can't see 50 feet. http://www.alpinequest.com/bailey.htm

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Apr 27, 2002 10:03 am 
The Ingalls Lake trail has a great garden area after you cross the ridge.

Lurk

Lurk
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 10:21 am 
I couldn't agree more about the Bailey, you stole my thunder, but Ok and a good read.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 10:42 am 
Any time I'm above treeline, particularly in the interior of the ALW.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods