Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. San Antonio (Baldy) 5-16-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nixs

nixs
PostFri May 22, 2009 8:44 pm 
Well...I'm back down in California again! Chose the Bear Canyon route...it just seemed like the fun way up! smile.gif This route is ~13 mi round trip, with ~5800 ft of elevation gain and loss. On the advice of the nice lady at the visitors center I parked right in front, with pass in window. Trail starts behind the church parking lot just down the street from the visitors center. I started out at around 10am...for the first half mile or so the trail just winds along the creek by peoples houses. After making a wrong turn, I took a detour up the West side of the creek...lots of uninhabited cabins and massive swarms of bugs! Nice tour of the neighborhood...turned back and managed to get on the trail again. Bugs got better as I climbed away from the creek...thank god!
Everything is green and in bloom...great smells!
Also, lots of rock lizards...
Got to bear flats (~1.8 mi up) cute sign, lots of bracken ferns and butterflies.
Shaperell gave way to long needle pines and sparse vegetation...
As I get higher I start to see patches of snow and great views!
Arrived at the summit at about 2:30pm...
There was a welcoming committee there waiting for me...plenty of folks that came up the other shorter routs. Got a nice guy to take my summit photo!
Lunch was raisins, bagels, sunflower seeds and candied ginger...started back down at about 3:30pm.
Ran about a third of the way...then blisters started from poor shoe/sock combo.
Walked the rest of the way...great views of the valley below and the hills with the sun getting low!
Back to the car at 6pm...real dirty from the dust sticking to the tons of sun screen I applied. Nice hike...I feel happy! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri May 22, 2009 8:48 pm 
Very pretty. Is this near LA?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri May 22, 2009 8:57 pm 
welcome back! to california biggrin.gif i chuckled at what you wrote: Bugs got better as I climbed away from the creek... lol.gif great TR and photos! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri May 22, 2009 9:08 pm 
nixs - thanks for the TR! If you haven't already, you should check out the peaks across the valley (Cucamonga, Ontario, etc.)... oh, and across the other valley (Baden-Powell, Throop, etc.). Magellan - yes, it is near LA. Nice mountain, and that route is the least crowded (possibly because, if I recall correctly, it gains over 6000'). Did it with my dad years ago. Our views were obscured by a nearby wildfire that started after we left the trailhead and we almost got stuck in Baldy village because they closed the road.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Yana's Dad

Yana's Dad
PostFri May 22, 2009 9:54 pm 
Great pictures, thanks. I remember having really hard time going up 6000 ft, fortunately going down was so much easier :-).

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri May 22, 2009 10:08 pm 
No snow. No Fair.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri May 22, 2009 10:14 pm 
That's definitely the long, hot way up. My old stomping grounds, summited many times, skinned up and skied down in winter.

Let me stand next to your fire
nixs

nixs
PostThu May 28, 2009 10:07 pm 
Thanks for your comments folks!
You know...your comments make the whole TR thing fun! I feel like I have company in my travels... smile.gif Haven't figured out what I will do this weekend...yet. Still need to post TRs for Joshua Tree, San Jacinto, and Deep Creek hot springs. Will get these up ASAP.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostThu May 28, 2009 10:16 pm 
May I suggest Cucamonga Peak via Icehouse Canyon. Pretty hike the whole way. For max elevation gain, try Iron Mountain starting from the East Fork. More of a challenging thrash through chaparral but also remote and you're likely to spot bighorn sheep.

ree

ree
PostFri May 29, 2009 11:01 am 
Kleetster and I were up that way a week ago.... We did Icehouse Canyon to the saddle. Loved the smells of the sage and chaparral. We saw a little rattlesnake and drank from Columbine Springs along the trail. That whole area has many great hikes. Yana mentioned Baden-Powell... done that a few times, and went to Buckhorn Mine up that way too. We thought about doing Mt. Baldy, but it was looking to be a bit too much for our schedule.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri May 29, 2009 11:08 am 
Looking forward to your report Ree. up.gif Columbine Spring, the water is so tasty and refreshingly cold after hiking up the canyon.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostFri May 29, 2009 11:37 am 
Mount Baldy, err I mean San Antonio, I remember that mountain hiding all the time not because of clouds, but smog. It was great to see it after snow had fallen on it and the college I went to for a year and a half was call Mount San Antonio College and was right below it's shadow. I never hiked it and I wished I did. A really cool place near by is Echo Mountain and you can see the remains of the old famous hotel on top and all the waterfalls that made it famous in the adjacent canyon.

ree

ree
PostFri May 29, 2009 1:03 pm 
I know this sounds lame, but I've done that hike a bunch of times, yet never drank from the springs, mostly because I never saw it. That is unbelievable, because it's practically ON the trail! I didn't bother looking too hard for them either, mostly because I didn't feel too safe drinking from it. We heard the park ranger telling some other guy at the vztrz cntr she drank from the springs all the time, so we figured we'd give it a try. It was great!

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri May 29, 2009 7:18 pm 
I forgot that I had done a trip report of Icehouse Canyon almost four years ago. Icehouse Canyon

Sam Hobbs

Sam Hobbs
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Very pretty. Is this near LA?
Actually the Los Angeles County border crosses over the top; the east side. So half the mountain is LA county and the other half is the other county; I think San Bernardino County but Riverside County is close.