Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heather Lake 05/31/09 (Mtn Loop Highway)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun May 31, 2009 10:51 pm 
After enjoying a hike to Lake Twenty-Two with the rest of Puget Sound I decided to trot on up to Heather Lake since they are neighbors after all. Upon arrival, the Ranger was just getting ready to leave and a few vehicles had tickets for not having a parking pass. Lots of people, as one would expect, on a sunny weekend. Last quarter mile or so is completely on snow, with some thinning bridges, but the route is easy to follow. The last quarter mile before the snow was really muddy. Amazingly muddy. This was the first time I've been to Heather Lake and been able to see across the lake. Some pics (as is, out of the camera, because I'm tired).
TH
TH
A Quark Stump
A Quark Stump
Hikers and Heather Lake
Hikers and Heather Lake
Dual Waterfalls
Dual Waterfalls
Lake Boardwalk
Lake Boardwalk
Snow Curves
Snow Curves
Blue Jay -- Stellar Jay?
Blue Jay -- Stellar Jay?
Boardwalk
Boardwalk

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostSun May 31, 2009 10:55 pm 
Hey Elvis! I was there with my mom and one of her friends today. Glad you had a good time.

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostSun May 31, 2009 11:22 pm 
LOL, there's a boardwalk up there??? Last time I visited it was only snow lol.gif

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Jun 01, 2009 4:49 pm 
No way! I saw you because I thought: "Hey! That looks like Jasper!". Seriously. I was THIS close to saying something but then thought the chances were low... and didn't think I'd understand Jasper's reply anyway. doh.gif My apologies... it would have been great to chat. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostTue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 am 
Heather lk
Heya You should have said hello! I was there with my friend and her big oaf of a dog, Spiro. It was insanely crowded but my friend is just getting back into hiking and so I didn't want to kill her on her first time out. biggrin.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 pm 
Heather Lake attracts crowds
Perhaps there are far too few trails available due to washouts, closures, etc. I have avoided Heather, referring to old memories of rough and boring trail and a second class lake. Well, I indulged in a late afternoon-evening hike and the pay-off was huge! Huge! Er...pardon me, Paris Hilton, since you have claimed ownership to the word....
happy isle, Heather Lake, 6.28.09
happy isle, Heather Lake, 6.28.09
abstract reflection, nice
abstract reflection, nice
HeatherLk.reflections, nice
HeatherLk.reflections, nice
A stop at Verlot R.S. found disclosure that snow and mud would be met near the top and at the lake. We went and did, indeed, meet snow and mud. Nothing that we had not encountered at neighboring Lake 22 near a month ago. The surprise? I forgot the spectacular thrust of wall and peaks, the incredible beauty of the lake, the multitude of waterfalls and the kinetic energy of the place, sans crowds, of course. I am ashamed and must rely on memories: I now think I used Heather as a sort of "back stop" hike and visited it in miserable weather, becoming unaware of the grandness of the place. I have even written of this old observation in these threads.
perfection shot, 06.28.09 good
perfection shot, 06.28.09 good
sublime falls, 6.28.09 nice
sublime falls, 6.28.09 nice
soaring summit, 6.28.09 nice
soaring summit, 6.28.09 nice
Ergo, we will visit Heather again and soon! The horrid upper trail conditions not withstanding, it is worth the price to pay. And, from the crowds, many are willing to buckle up and trudge the 2 miles to the lake and enjoy splendor that few lakes can deliver. Humble Pilchuck is almost Eiger, here, worthy of notes and photos, perhaps a hymn!
flawed reflection, 6.28.09, nice
flawed reflection, 6.28.09, nice
HeatherLakeIsle, 6.28.09 good
HeatherLakeIsle, 6.28.09 good
outlet & reflections, nice
outlet & reflections, nice
Heather Lk.outlet mirror 06.28.09
Heather Lk.outlet mirror 06.28.09
almost good shot
almost good shot
stoned reflection, 6.28.09 nice
stoned reflection, 6.28.09 nice
many falls 06.28.09 nice
many falls 06.28.09 nice
perfection lake, 6.28.09
perfection lake, 6.28.09
sublime Heather Lake 06.28.09
sublime Heather Lake 06.28.09
Aksam listens to flapping ducks
Aksam listens to flapping ducks

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 9:21 pm 
Thanks for the beta Elbis. Nice work.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 pm 
Re: Heather Lake attracts crowds
Sabahsboy wrote:
Perhaps there are far too few trails available due to washouts, closures, etc. I have avoided Heather, referring to old memories of rough and boring trail and a second class lake. Well, I indulged in a late afternoon-evening hike and the pay-off was huge! Huge! Er...pardon me, Paris Hilton, since you have claimed ownership to the word.... A stop at Verlot R.S. found disclosure that snow and mud would be met near the top and at the lake. We went and did, indeed, meet snow and mud. Nothing that we had not encountered at neighboring Lake 22 near a month ago. The surprise? I forgot the spectacular thrust of wall and peaks, the incredible beauty of the lake, the multitude of waterfalls and the kinetic energy of the place, sans crowds, of course. I am ashamed and must rely on memories: I now think I used Heather as a sort of "back stop" hike and visited it in miserable weather, becoming unaware of the grandness of the place. I have even written of this old observation in these threads. Ergo, we will visit Heather again and soon! The horrid upper trail conditions not withstanding, it is worth the price to pay. And, from the crowds, many are willing to buckle up and trudge the 2 miles to the lake and enjoy splendor that few lakes can deliver. Humble Pilchuck is almost Eiger, here, worthy of notes and photos, perhaps a hymn! Photos to follow in a few minutes, I pray!
I've avoided Heather also, partially because I grew more fond of its crowded rival Lake 22, and then I think I stopped going even there. Perhaps a re-visit is in order. Sometime.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 pm 
Heather's better weather
Caltha leptosepala, marsh marigold
Caltha leptosepala, marsh marigold
Heather Lake beauty shot
Heather Lake beauty shot
AncientForest 103, nice
AncientForest 103, nice
All in an evening's enjoyment!