Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB-Grandeur on Granite 6/4/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 11:14 pm 
Since a report was already put up last night before TNABers returned, I'll avoid repetition, add a personal touch, and just give it a name: TNAB-Grandeur on Granite We started at 6p, except for the Pre-NABers that enabled us to heed all ranger requests and wilderness regulations regarding group size and four-legged friends. Many thanks to those who braved another scorcher of a day to ascend early so that our group size was within the limit. We did not take the gully route like Ragman and a few other pre-NABers, but opted instead for the main trail, and then took the ridge straight to the summit. The second or third gully still sends a finger of snow down across the trail at about 3850 ft. Other than that, it's snow-free until the open meadow. There is a nice stream crossing at about 4100 ft after passing the gullies. The trail heads mainly east from there, traversing the south face of the mountain. At the far eastern reaches of the trail, you begin to encounter snow once you enter the open meadow at around 4750 ft. There is some flagging to mark the true route in that area. Above this point, you can stay on snow the entire way as you turn and head west from about 4800 ft to the lookout at 5630. Once all the TNABers arrived, we were treated to some of Larry's cornice jumping acrobatics. The summit was just incredible. The clouds were painted with bands of red, orange, yellow, and pink as the sun retreated, leaving behind an evening glow that seemed to dance along every mountain top. It reminded me of why I never get tired of trudging up here. I tried to just stay silent and immerse myself in the spectacle that was unfolding, but the power of my surroundings overwhelmed me, and I felt compelled to cry out. There were none of life's decisions to be made up there, no errands to run, no bills to pay. Just the simplicity of enjoying every step, and letting everything else melt into the late-spring snow. Note that the summer route around the north-east side is buried under 5 feet of snow and the ridge route is melting quickly. List of Pre-NABers,TNABers, and 4-legged wonders: Larry, Don, Lynda, gq hikerboy, Victoria, Mike, Elisha, GeoTom, Dani, Ragman, Rodman, another Larry, BarbE, Zeusdaddy, Schmidt Alti-Babe, Yukon222, Moosefish, seattlehikertoo, ewb, Nature Man, Dan S, Drew, mntsun, onetwolaughs Digger, Jasper, Tokul, Zeus & Athena, Kiefer & Rowena
GraniteMtLookout-090604 020
GraniteMtLookout-090604 020
GraniteMtLookout-090604 013
GraniteMtLookout-090604 013
TNAB labs guarding their owner.
TNAB labs guarding their owner.
Kaleetan and Chair "peaking" above the cornice
Kaleetan and Chair "peaking" above the cornice
Convective thunderstorm brewing over the enchantments near Stuart
Convective thunderstorm brewing over the enchantments near Stuart
Whippets racing down the ridge in time to make the photo-op.
Whippets racing down the ridge in time to make the photo-op.
Lookout begging me one last time to stay
Lookout begging me one last time to stay
GraniteMtLookout-090604 017
GraniteMtLookout-090604 017
GraniteMtLookout-090604 026
GraniteMtLookout-090604 026
Sky awash in pre-dusk glow
Sky awash in pre-dusk glow
Kaleetan and Chair under a blanket
Kaleetan and Chair under a blanket
GraniteMtLookout-090604 004
GraniteMtLookout-090604 004
More moon and clouds
More moon and clouds

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 8:26 am 
A great write up for what looks to be a beautiful evening, thanks seattlehikertoo. up.gif up.gif I don't envy you all the heat though, my porch thermometer read 86 in the NB as you hit the trail @ 6pm.

gone

gone
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 10:55 am 
Great trip report, seattlehikertoo! Your words captured many of my same feelings, and your iPhone pics continue to rock! up.gif This hike had a number of firsts for me, including first-hand exposure to some very cool glissading, and a walk up a thin snow ridge with large drop-offs on both sides (well, thin and large to me, anyway). The former may be something I try, if faced with the opportunity again this year. The latter nearly turned me around a few times, but watching fellow TNABers pass by and proceed bravely and competently through these areas gave me enough confidence to proceed, albeit very carefully (and, as always, very slowly). Nothing much to add to that fine report except to point out a couple of things from the Pour House postNAB. First, I learned that bringing multiple wardrobes and trying them all on in the middle of the trail on the descent in order to find the one that makes me feel most pretty is frowned upon, and is a potential cougar attack vector. Who knew? And second, my Ping Pong Fu remains strong, as I continue to vanquish all who would challenge me. Bwahahaha!!
Meadow to Lookout
Meadow to Lookout
Topping
Topping
Descent
Descent
Sunset Colors
Sunset Colors
Here's the whole set of pics. Good times, TNAB! See you next week!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 11:19 am 
Lynda and I left Izzy at the hot time of the day, it was over 90 spotted Larrys car in the car park and mosiesd up the trail, trail was in good shape with less snow than anticipated, did I mention it was hot? by berry fields hit solid snow and headed strait up with spikes fast moving shapes buzzed bye us ridge provided the easiest path. Lookout in sight! Summit shots.
View East
View East
Hot Hikers
Hot Hikers
Kaleetan Chair
Kaleetan Chair
Rainier in shadows so here is a substitute from last weak.
Cliche'
Cliche'
Snow too slow for good gliss but enough to soak pants call from home power out flickered raindrops now feels good down walk w/seattlehikertoo, have to miss Pourhouse to check out damage everything fine, it's not Pizza it's Dejourno soreness hit at night dawn came too soon. smile.gif Moved post 3rd time the charm dizzy.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mgd

mgd
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 1:09 pm 
Beautiful pictures! drink.gif Love this lookout shot!

Nordic

Nordic
PostSun Jun 07, 2009 1:05 pm 
Go Jo wrote:
I don't envy you all the heat though, my porch thermometer read 86 in the NB as you hit the trail @ 6pm.
Yep, that's the reason I skipped it (and the one prior to that as well...) I opted for some swimming in the Rattlesnake Lake instead (it felt good!) Damn heat, damn sun, damn summer curse.gif I can't believe that the weather that shouldn't happen until AFTER the 4th of July started in the middle of May!!! I was hoping for at least another month of hiking before the summer hiatus... but this week looks much better - finally some clouds, showers and temps that are more in line with what they should be around here... BTW - I admire you guys - Bandera and Granite in this heat... I'd probably have a heat stroke before I'd leave the trees.

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Jun 08, 2009 6:04 am 
Thanks for the fine report, Erik! The heat felt good on the way up; finally seemed more like Summer conditions than just a fluky warm Spring day. A few more pics...
DSD_1589 Rampart Ridge's west face
DSD_1589 Rampart Ridge's west face
DSD_1596  Kaleetan, Chair, Big Snow and the 'Babe
DSD_1596 Kaleetan, Chair, Big Snow and the 'Babe
DSD_1598 Small group of TNAB'ers on the summit
DSD_1598 Small group of TNAB'ers on the summit

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 pm 
Thanks for the additional photos and identifying some of the peaks that I was not sure of. On a nice day, this hike rarely disappoints.

Jennifer S.

Jennifer S.
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 am 
Wow!! Gorgeous photos everyone, what a perfect night to be up there!!! Very inspiring.

Sennin

Sennin
PostWed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 pm 
Great pics!!