Forum Index > Trip Reports > Not Hinkhouse Peak (not Hinkhouse Peak); June 13, 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 12:03 pm 
Trip overview: Crew: GeoTom and Scott Maps: Green Trails #209 Mt. Stuart. Access: Interstate 90 > Highway 970 > Teanaway Road/North Fork Teanaway Road Trails: Longs Pass > Off-trail ridge run (boot path visible in places) > Ingalls Way Trail Mileage: ~8 total Elevation Gain: ~3,000 with the ups and downs. Summits: Not Hinkhouse Peak (6,878') Trip Details: My original weekend plans of camping in the upper Enchantments got scuttled due to the folks at the National Weather Service and their thunderstorm prediction. Since Jasper was safely at the cabin with Dani, I still wanted to take advantage of the situation and go on a hike where the 4-leggers aren't allowed. Sitting at Longs Pass last year after climbing Mt. Stuart, I noticed a high bump along the ridge to the northwest towards Ingalls Pass. Intrigued, I discovered that it was unofficially called Not Hinkhouse Peak (not to be confused with the actual Hinkhouse Peak). I suppose every peak but the actual Hinkhouse Peak could be called Not Hinkhouse Peak, but that would be silly. After a vigorous exchange of emails Thursday and Friday with a few people who don't mind hiking with me, no consensus was reached. Some wanted to go here, some there, some not at all. Soapy and I decided to head to Not Hinkhouse Peak by ourselves. With my driving skills and his routefinding expertise, what could go wrong? My friend Scott called late Friday night and invited himself along. At worst he would provide beer and better conversation than Soapy. After some vehicle troubles (Scott's, not mine) we arrived at the trailhead around 10:00 am to mostly sunny skies and a few other vehicles. We started up the Esmerelda Basin Trail, then quickly turned right on the Ingalls Way Trail. The clouds increased, and soon some raindrops began to fall. After a few minutes I decided to put my rain cover on the pack. As soon as the rain cover was on and the pack returned to my back, the rain stopped. I decided to keep the cover on for now.
Snags and Fortune Peak
Snags and Fortune Peak
Near the junction with the Longs Pass Trail there was a little snow cover. I turned uphill a little too soon, but shortly we were back on the trail (well, actually I found the old roadbed first, then the trail). We arrived at Longs Pass to mostly cloudy skies, but a full frontal view of Mt. Stuart. I was hungry so I decided to eat a little.
Mt. Stuart from Longs Pass
Mt. Stuart from Longs Pass
Enchantment area peaks
Enchantment area peaks
Follow the ridge
Follow the ridge
Ridge to Not Hinkhouse
Ridge to Not Hinkhouse
Fortified by our snacks we continued along the ridge towards our objective. The route was easy to follow, and in places a definite bootpath was evident. We got to what I had thought was ther highpoint, only to see another slightly higher one maybe 50 feet away. Undaunted, we continued to the highest point and stopped for a leisurely lunch break and a glimpse of Fortune, South Ingalls and Ingalls Peaks. We could also get a little glimpse of a still snow covered Ingalls Lake.
Mt. Stuart and Sherpa Peak
Mt. Stuart and Sherpa Peak
Scott looks at Stuart
Scott looks at Stuart
Final slopes
Final slopes
Pointing snags
Pointing snags
Not Hinkhouse summit
Not Hinkhouse summit
Fortune, South Ingalls and Ingalls Peaks
Fortune, South Ingalls and Ingalls Peaks
Glacier Peak in the distance
Glacier Peak in the distance
Soapy and his prize from last year, Mt. Stuart
Soapy and his prize from last year, Mt. Stuart
Fist bump
Fist bump
After eating and resting for entirely too long on Not Hinkhouse Peak, we followed the ridge towards Ingalls Pass. Travel was easier along the southern side of the ridge (left as we headed towards Ingalls Pass), so we took the easier route. Shortly we were at Ingalls Pass and saw a group of 6 practicing ice axe arrest on the snow. Originally we had thought about continuing to Ingalls Lake as neither one of us had been there before, but a general malaise took over and we ended up lounging on some bare rock and admiring Mt. Stuart while keeping an eye to the darkening skies to the southwest.
Scott descends Not Hinkhouse
Scott descends Not Hinkhouse
Old snag
Old snag
Snags and sky
Snags and sky
Headlight Basin from Ingalls Pass
Headlight Basin from Ingalls Pass
Stuart and some green larch
Stuart and some green larch
Not Hinkhouse Peak from Ingalls Pass
Not Hinkhouse Peak from Ingalls Pass
Storm clouds a 'brewin to the southwest
Storm clouds a 'brewin to the southwest
Rain on Stuart
Rain on Stuart
Shortly after starting our return to the trailhead, the thunder started. We also saw occasional flashes of lightning, but no rain was falling on us at this point. We arrived back at the trailhead to find my truck intact, but unlocked. doh.gif Nothing was gone, most significantly the post hike beers in the little cooler. drink.gif
Scott jumps the moat
Scott jumps the moat
Lone snag
Lone snag
Goodbye Not Hinkhouse Peak
Goodbye Not Hinkhouse Peak
Esmerelda and Hawkins
Esmerelda and Hawkins
The rain started falling as I turned the key to start the truck, and did not stop until we were past Easton. Pizza and beer at Scott's house were most welcome. hungry.gif cheers.gif Kristine was happy to report that they had weathered the DTV transition smoothly, and so we sat down to watch The Fugitive. I thought this time the movie might end differently, but it was the same as before.

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 12:10 pm 
up.gif I've watched that movie about 10 times, and the ending is always the same, go figure.

Living in the Anthropocene
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 10:00 pm 
Nice Not Hink to Not Hinkhouse, but I think it's about time for a snag photography intervention. huh.gif *fist bump*

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 10:07 pm 
Nice, I'll have to add that one to my quick & dirty list. Knuckles.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm 
What, no chest bump? rolleyes.gif Oh well, at least you not-Hinked.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 10:58 pm 
Hard to find a place that provides a better view of the south side of Mt. Stuart.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am 
Magellan wrote:
What, no chest bump? rolleyes.gif
I didn't think that photo was appropriate for this forum. Maybe I'll post it on CC. hmmm.gif R&R- I had never even been to Longs Pass until last September and I was blown away by the close up view of Stuart. I figured this would be basically the same (since I was going to Longs Pass anyway) with a somewhat obscure (but easy to reach) summit as well.

Knows literally nothing
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 11:12 pm 
Glad you made it. Have you really not ever been to Ingalls Lake?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 11:57 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
I suppose every peak but the actual Hinkhouse Peak could be called Not Hinkhouse Peak, but that would be silly.
Good observation smile.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 am 
Great pics! Cool place. One can continue past Ingalls Pass on benches on the south side of the ridge to Fortune, and then either down to the pass above Lake Ann or to S Peak of Ingalls and then down the County Line Trail. See our TR of Not Hinkhouse to Fortune Traversette

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 am 
GeoTom wrote:
I suppose every peak but the actual Hinkhouse Peak could be called Not Hinkhouse Peak.
So... if I understand correctly, every peak but the actual Not Hinkhouse Peak could be referred to as Not Not Hinkhouse Peak... which would make trip reports a lot easier to write.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 9:35 am 
Applying an extension of that logic, Not Hinkhouse Peak could be called Not Not Not Hinkhouse Peak.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 9:52 am 
huh.gif I should have just titled the report Point 6,878. hockeygrin.gif Like the looks of that traverse BigSteve. I had already been up Fortune before, and while Scott was interested, the dark clouds coming in made our decision to head back much easier, especially after the thunder started.

Knows literally nothing