Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: Showing Defiance 6/18/2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gone

gone
PostFri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 am 
A cadre of TNAB rebels defied washouts, wipeouts, and gravity itself to put Mt Defiance to bed last night. The body count was high, but scattered in time and space, with lots of preNABs, alternate route finders, and multiple summit shifts. The defiant bunch included ewb, moosefish, seattlehikertoo, nature man, zeusdaddy, dicey, omega, barbe, dan s, 11th essential, malachai constant, larry, jason and friend (whose name was lost amidst the post-defiance jubilee), yukon222, schmidt alti-babe, and Int’l Joe. The rather less defiant four legged gang included digger, zeus, athena, tokul, rowena and kiefer. And, in a show of like-minded, but unplanned, contumacy, gabrielx and lindsay happened by the summit on their way to, um, someplace. Rebels unite! The hike began from varying points along troubled road 9031, or with a bushwhack up from Tinkham (er, me), and then proceeded up the Ira Spring trail. Soon after passing over the now unplugged whistle directing Mason Creek once again under the trail, the way turned left on to the old Mason Lake trail, which switchbacked a bit, then bifurcated, providing high and low routes to the lake. Though some went high, most went low, keeping close to the moderately full Mason Creek and its many beautiful falls, and all soon left the sounds of I-90 behind. Word was that the high route offered some challenging talus crossings, especially for the rebel dogs, but the low route proved equally tricky at times, presenting only a faint path, or multiple paths, or no paths at all, and dodging over and under ancient blowdowns. Luckily, as I discovered, the lost need only continue in a northeasterly direction with the creek on their left and eventually all becomes clear. Or you run into BarbE and simply follow her back to the trail. Rebels tag along! After an obligatory look at the pretty and mostly thawed Mason Lake, the woodsy trail continues around the west side and onto very packed snow, which mostly covers the way until back onto the ridge proper at about 4,900'. Soon the trees are behind, meadows ahead, and the eyes filled with long views of the valley in both directions and fields upon fields of emerging flowers. After an easy traverse across the steep meadow, the way turns steeply up the west ridge, requiring one to defy gravity for about 300' more before finally attaining the summit. Rebels sit down! It was here, on the summit of Mt Defiance, while wrapping my freezing battered torso in layers of clothing and contemplating my 4.5 hours of hiking and 4,300' of gain, that my mind turned to Gloria Gaynor and her glorious 70's tribute to defiance, in which she sang "Did I crumble? Did you think I'd lay down and die? Oh no, not I. I will survive." And I realized, I might not. So I ate a cookie (mmm, rebel snickerdoodles - thanks Jo!), aimed for the highway, and put gravity to work for me. Unfortunately, gravity proved an unequal partner at times, leading to some extemporaneous dirt glissades, but the end result was still a loss of elevation, so it was all good. Special thanks to Yukon and Alti-Babe for the brief, but worthy, lesson in snow glissading. Not sure I'm prepared for anything much larger, but it was good to break the ice in the company of experts. Alti-Babe, sorry you had to witness me trip over my own feet and face-plant after the second run. If I'd been thinking straight I would have popped up and said "Meant to do that!" Rebels save face! Back at Mason Lake, I made my obligatory wardrobe change and listened to the voices of TNABers large and small fade into the valley below the lake as most descenders opted for the lower old Mason Lake trail. Not wanting to experience lost and dark at the same time, I opted to continue along the main Mason Lake trail back to the Ira Spring trail. Except for forgetting that this would cost me another 300' of gain, which proved a bit hard to conjure, the trail was wonderful: wide, having an easy grade, and entirely snow-free. As a result, I was able to make good time down. In fact, unless my leg has been thoroughly pulled, I succeeded in intercepting the last of the defiant TNABers as they emerged from the old trail. Well, actually, Yukon and Alti-Babe intercepted me, unleashing banshee whippets on me from out of the dark recesses beside the trail. Rebels pee their pants! Then it was down the trail, back to the road, a brief meeting of minds about how best to dispose of Dan's vehicle, before he emerged from his defiant rebel off-trail talus trek to spoil our plans, then off to the Pour House for drinks and more unruliness. One more special thanks to Yukon for saving me a dark bushwhack back to Tinkham! Rebels to bed!
Mason Creek
Mason Creek
Mason Lake
Mason Lake
Summit Push
Summit Push
Summit Flowers
Summit Flowers
Summit Flowers
Summit Flowers
Good times, TNAB! See you all next week!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Jun 19, 2009 10:50 am 
Ha. I was defiant by not even showing up. hockeygrin.gif

Knows literally nothing
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am 
You may take our lives but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm 
Did you guys find your ammo box full of bottle caps and barbie heads?

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Jun 19, 2009 5:45 pm 
If you keep writing such fantastically creative and detailed trip reports you may find yourself conscripted into the TNAB Torch Team Administrative Staff TR Department. No pay, but the glory is good winksmile.gif Well done ewb! TLABs haven't moved or even 'requested' dinner yet so I know it must have been a challenging hike last night. Good to see everyone made it out in one piece. Have a great hike next week ~Jo

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 pm 
Fantastic trip report! One of the better ones I've read this year. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jun 19, 2009 8:40 pm 
Awesome writing Eric. I am really sorry to have missed this one. Defiance is perhaps my favorite on I-90. Will Magellan even make one TNAB this year?!? waah.gif

gone

gone
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 8:42 am 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. smile.gif Except for you, TAH, 'cause I don't know what you're talking about.
Magellan wrote:
Will Magellan even make one TNAB this year?!? waah.gif
You better, that $5 I owe you isn't getting any younger. Wait, what? dizzy.gif

Couvehiker86

Couvehiker86
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 am 
Ok, I'll bite, what is TNAB?

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 5:25 pm 
Couvehiker86 wrote:
Ok, I'll bite, what is TNAB?
TNAB is just a group of people who love to hike. Normally we meet Thursday afternoon between 5pm-6pm depending on skill level and "cruise" up a mountain on the I-90 corridor. Upon summitting, there's usually some drinking, socializing, obligatory summit/Ranier pictures, and then everyone heads down shortly after. It's not a "club" and anyone is welcome to show up. First timers must pay for nachos at the Pour House. Kidding. biggrin.gif

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 6:35 pm 
Sorry about the delay, but here are my pics... http://farm4.static.flickr.com
Tall Hemlocks on this route
Tall Hemlocks on this route
TNABers pounding out some steep trail through a grove of huge Hemlocks
TNABers pounding out some steep trail through a grove of huge Hemlocks
TNAB tree-scrambling near Mason creek drainage
TNAB tree-scrambling near Mason creek drainage
TNABers near Mason creek
TNABers near Mason creek
TNAB bouldering on talus field just below Mason Lake
TNAB bouldering on talus field just below Mason Lake
Defiance summit from the talus field just below Mason Lake. The trail begins traversing the summit near the notch in the trees just below and to the right of the summit
Defiance summit from the talus field just below Mason Lake. The trail begins traversing the summit near the notch in the trees just below and to the right of the summit
Mason Lake nearly melted out
Mason Lake nearly melted out
Mason Lake with little remaining ice
Mason Lake with little remaining ice
These TNABers waste little time marching up from Mason Lake to Defiance
These TNABers waste little time marching up from Mason Lake to Defiance
TNABers adjusting their camera at the beginning of the meadow traverse
TNABers adjusting their camera at the beginning of the meadow traverse
Bands of wildflowers blanket the steep meadow below the summit
Bands of wildflowers blanket the steep meadow below the summit
Wildflowers blooming on the final ridge to the summit
Wildflowers blooming on the final ridge to the summit
TNABers immersed in their usual array of summit activities of deep thought, drinking and eating, doggy appreciation, and of course enjoying the views
TNABers immersed in their usual array of summit activities of deep thought, drinking and eating, doggy appreciation, and of course enjoying the views
Summit view
Summit view
Fields of yellow glacier lilies
Fields of yellow glacier lilies

yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:01 pm 
Another fun read, Ewb!! Here are a few more pics from that night's adventure.

gone

gone
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:24 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
Ewb glissading thru the boulders at dusk!!
Hey, that almost makes it seem dangerous! My daughter was very impressed! cool.gif Thanks! Also love those cloud shots - that's just what it looked like, and the look down the slope with all the wonderful colors! up.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 10:28 pm 
After all the talk about being defiant I feel awfully foolish Scott and I were delayed by my need to fill out a wilderness permit...
Closer than they appear... at least a mile between our parties
Closer than they appear... at least a mile between our parties

BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 12:34 pm 
Great TR Ewb! Never having been on the Old Mason trail and not knowing for sure if I was actually on it, I was glad to run into you and confirm I was on the right track. And what a wonderful trail it is -my new favorite in the 1-90 corridor. Starting by myself an hour early to spend extra time on the summit made route finding around the mostly snow covered Mason Lake trail a bit more challenging, but fun. doh.gif Eventually I discovered one lonely set of prints in the snow and followed them until they disappeared. After some straight up bushwhacking I caught up with Bob and his trusty GPS. The ridge walk amongst the fields of glacier lilies was a delight. Having a TNAB summit to myself even for a short time was a new experience for me. Another trail and summit I am adding to my favorite list. up.gif
Ewb on old Mason trail
Ewb on old Mason trail
Mason Lake reflections
Mason Lake reflections
Flower show
Flower show
Bob enjoying the scenery
Bob enjoying the scenery
Almost there
Almost there
Kool Kula Kula
Kool Kula Kula