Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colchuck 8705' - Dragontail 8840' glacier route 6/20/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 10:06 pm 
After seeing many nice TR's this past month for this area, I had to check it out for myself. I was solo today but met several people along the way including 3 nwhikers at the Dragontail summit. I left my house at 3:30 this morning and arrived at the TH at 6. The hike to Colchuck Lake went pretty quick and I saw the 2 peaks I was going after today. I took a few pics and went to the end of the lake to climb to the old moraine of the Colchuck glacier. The moraine of the glacier was huge compared to the size the glacier is now.
Dragontail and Colchuck
Dragontail and Colchuck
reflection
reflection
Colchuck glacier area
Colchuck glacier area
Colchuck glacier
Colchuck glacier
I put my crampons on and headed straight up to the Colchuck col. Until this time, the sky was blue with not a cloud in sight. At the col, the clouds were moving in quickly. I saw Rainier for just a bit before it disappeared. I went to climb Colchuck peak first. The route was pretty easy big very little snow to the summit. I reached the summit at 10. At the top the clouds became thicker and Stuart was not very visible.
Colchuck Lake
Colchuck Lake
Rainier
Rainier
Dragontail from Colchuck
Dragontail from Colchuck
I went back down to the Colchuck col and went up the Dragontail side. I followed a steep snow finger all the way to the bottom of Pandora's Box. I promised my boys I wouldn't climb up the box because one of them saw a picture of it and said it looked too dangerous. So I headed to the summit past many rocky spires along the ridge. I reached Dragontail's summit at 11:30 and took a hour and a half long break there. While there, 3 other climbers came up through Aasgard Pass. I saw a frog named Soapy and asked if they were nwhikers. They were and I met GeoTom, Alti-Babe and Yukon. It was nice to talk with them for a bit and I look forward to their TR.
Pandora's Box
Pandora's Box
the many peaks of Dragontail
the many peaks of Dragontail
the Enchantment basin
the Enchantment basin
Dragontail summit
Dragontail summit
I took off and went back the way I came. At the Colchuck glacier, I took some extra time to see the exposed ice a little more closely. It still had a few crevasses but they were very small. The terminus was very thin but it gets a lot of avy snow build up at the base of the rock wall heading up to the peak. I glissaded many of the snow slopes back down to the lake. I hurried back to the truck and was done by 4. 15 miles-6400' elev. gain in 10 hours
Stuart Range
Stuart Range
Colchuck and Stuart
Colchuck and Stuart
Colchuck glacier
Colchuck glacier

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 10:15 pm 
you wrote: I promised my boys I wouldn't climb up the box because one of them saw a picture of it and said it looked too dangerous. wonderful! parents keeping a promise. up.gif what a day for you! love your reflection and dragontail summit photos!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 10:33 pm 
Ten hours?!? You were busting it! Nice score on the double dip. I want it bad...

silence

silence
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 6:49 am 
YOU ARE AN ANIMAL!!!! SERIOUSLY agree.gif amazing stats ... great pix and story ... way to go up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 7:33 am 
up.gif Nice running into you on Dragontail. That Soapy is easy to recognize, huh?

Knows literally nothing
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 7:44 am 
up.gif Good going, I can't believe I didn't get out and do something yesterday.

Living in the Anthropocene
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 1:05 pm 
I love your reports! Fantastic photos. Love the reflection shot.