Forum Index > Trip Reports > Excelsior Mountain, A Shuksan hike, and Nooksack Falls.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Feb 12, 2004 10:33 pm 
I can't express in words how grateful I am to have had three straight sunny days, and to have had the opportunity to hike for the third consecutive day. After doing semi-low-land hikes the last two days, I was prepared to challenge myself on this immaculate thursday. The thought of vast shuksan and Mt. Baker views arbitrarily came to mind. I knew of a hike off the Mt. Baker highway, and that was the Excelsior Mountain trail. Upon ariving at the trailhead one can deduce that this is not going to be a simple hike, which was my justification for hiking it to begin with. I diligently trekked upward with resonating breaths emanating from me, and this was before I was superimposed by snow. It instantaneously got extremely grueling . I was either sliding or trudging down in knee-deep accumulations,but my psyche was not going to let me give up the struggle. There was a period where I was crawling on my knees to avoid plummeting down to the bottom of a seven-foot-snowy depth. After 3 miles I forgot that this was a hike. A slow climb for the remaining mile and a half became my reality. The opening blue sky at the top of the tree line was my only motivation,but at the time it seemed so far away.I kept going. The tripod that I brought became my only stability. I was hoping a sherpa would appear and drag my listless body the rest of the way,but to no avail. Suddenly all worries faded. the mountains were visible. There was a blanket of unscathed snow with a brilliant distribution of trees,and of course solemn mountains from every view. These were shots I have dreamt of. This easily compensated for the vigor endured. When I reached the summit there were no fears and no distractions. I had the ability to let that which previously happened, truly side. As expected the descension was much easier. When I arrived at my car I had forgotten what walking on pavement felt like. Was I done? No. I traveled further towards the ski area in search of more. I made it all the way up there and relished the stately views of the encompassing giants. I took the view point even further by doing another hike in the vicinity of 4 miles, that incorporated an in-your-face Shuksan View. I did a nooksack falls' stop just for kicks. Was I done? I was so done. Tomorrow I will be getting my film from these trips developed to manifest for all. No trip reports tomorrow. It will be a day of recuperation.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Feb 13, 2004 12:20 am 
eek.gif Dude! You hiked the Excelsior Mtn trail and then went on ANOTHER hike? And you did it in the SNOW! I have trouble with that lung (and knee) buster in the middle of summer. Holy cow! That is truly an awesome view, tho. The Damfino lakes trail is an alternate approach in the summer. Of course, you have to go by the Damfino Lakes - where all the biting insects in the North Cascades meet to learn ever more ways to torment humans.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Feb 13, 2004 8:28 am 
LOL! The skeeters there are a special breed Tht's why you run real fast past the lakes.....wink.gif I have always wondered what the hike from Hwy 542 would be like in winter....Think I'll pass for now wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.