Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Lake Samish (towers & view with a bike) 6/28/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 pm 
Sunday I ventured out to the Lake Samish County Park, armed with a backpack, camera and mountain bike with hopes of exploring the logging roads to locate the two communication towers that alluded me in May and to find some nice views of Lake Samish. Since I don't think Mountain bikes are allowed on the trail in the park I just pushed that thing all the way to the top where the trail popped out onto the logging road.
Topo!
Topo!
The push wasn't too bad, until after the Eagles Outlook. After this point the trail becomes a mere boot-path and is very steep in parts. Since I had studied the maps (and been here a few times before) I was able to reach the communication towers after about an hour of mostly hiking with some biking on the flat/downhill portions.
Tall Tower
Tall Tower
Tall Tower 2
Tall Tower 2
Top of the hill
Top of the hill
After the towers (eastern part of the route on the map) then I proceeded westward to a dead end and a slightly better view of the Lake.
First view of W. Lake Samish
First view of W. Lake Samish
E. Lk Samish (zoom)
E. Lk Samish (zoom)
E&W Lk Samish
E&W Lk Samish
Don't know why I loaded both these pics
Don't know why I loaded both these pics
Full Zoom
Full Zoom
At this viewpoint there were these clumps in the middle of the road which were roo-shaped (you know what I mean) clumps of animal fur and broken bones. Cool... and a bit creepy.
Turded Fur & Bones
Turded Fur & Bones
Nearby there was also a roadside cairn. That was not creepy.
Cairn on a logging road.  ;-)
Cairn on a logging road. ;-)
I was hoping for another, higher viewpoint but the family phoned to say they were home so I began my return trip. Instead of returning along the boot-path trail, I attempted to follow the power lines straight toward the parking lot. The first downhill was survivable, but the second proved just too steep to ride. After a few minutes of careful maneuvering down this obscenely steep slope on foot I was able to connect back up to the trail and descend without trouble. I'm glad I found the viewpoint and may head back some time for more exploring, but probably not until this winter. Happy Trails!

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
vintageradio
Distinguished member

vintageradio
Distinguished member
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 pm 
Quote:
The first downhill was survivable, but the second proved just too steep to ride
I grew up on Lake Samish, and spent a lot of time hiking around the hills there. After the HV power lines were installed on that hill, in the summer the grass would get very long and dry. My friends and I used to go down there with big pieces of cardboard and "glissade" down the hill (in a sitting position). We'd get going really fast, and the toughest part was trying to land on your feet when you shot off the bank onto one of the logging roads that cris-crossed the route. Of course, there was also the occasional rock that would send one of us home with a big bruise on our butt. Ah, to be young again!

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostWed Jul 01, 2009 12:08 am 
Any trip report that uses the word 'turded' gets a up.gif from me!