Forum Index > Trail Talk > Canoeing on Ross Lake (and maybe some hiking)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 9:56 pm 
After reading some canoeing threads and being a native Minnesotan (canoeing in my blood), I have a major itch to go canoe camping at Ross Lake. I want to spend about two nights on Ross Lake with perhaps some hiking thrown in. I actually have canoed there once before - me and three friends went canoeing there while car camping. I've been on about 40 hikes in Washington since moving here, but canoeing on Ross Lake was probably the most memorable thing I've done. I'm posting here instead of searching the internet because I think you guys would be more informative. Anyway, this is what I'm wondering: What's the best time of year? We went after labor day last year and the weather was awesome. From what I remember NCNP can get pretty hot in July/August. How bad are the winds? Someone told me that by noon it's too hard to paddle anywhere. I'll probably be with my girlfriend so we won't have that much power. wink.gif Are there any good campsites with trailheads that we can reach in one day? I'd prefer a good trail (one with a view or lake would be nice). That way we could canoe out on the first day, hike the trail the second day, then canoe back on the third. Otherwise we could just canoe for three days. I think that should cover it... hopefully you guys are more familiar with the lake than I am (though I have canoed on it once).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 12:00 am 
This map may help you (pdf from NPS). Big Beaver is popular... as is Lightning Creek, but I'm not experienced in canoeing so not sure how likely it is that you would get that far. Lightning Creek is awesome in a boat... really cool. Another unique possibility is to camp on one of the islands (like Cougar Island) and then boat elsewhere to hike. A number of years ago I was with a group and we tried to paddle to Desolation Peak trail but I think we only made it to about Devil's Creek before we ditched the canoes and just made multiple trips with the motorboat to shuttle the canoers to the trailhead. The wind really did pick up in the afternoon on the return trip making it difficult. If we didn't have the motor boat we could have been stranded until the next morning, IMO. Where is that TR... ah, here it is. Good Luck and have a good time! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 7:31 am 
We started from Hozomeen on the North end as we usually canoe in B.C. You have to drive to Hope then down a good logging road for 20 mi. but it is the easiest way to launch your own boat. Otherwise you either need to arrange a shuttle from the resort or portage down a steep trail from 20. The lake is best in the Summer when the reservoir is full otherwise (like now) there are ugly shores and some of the Islands are not. Large Lakes in the NW often have high winds in the afternoon.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Traildad

Traildad
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 8:07 am 
We did a weeklong canoe trip with my son's Scout troop on Ross last summer. A great trip but I am a big fan of Ross Lake anyway. With a three day window your canoeing/hiking combo options are limited. You don't have time to get far enough north to overnight close to the Desolation Peak trailhead. My suggestion would be to do your first day to Big Beaver camp. You can then hike the next day up the Big Beaver trail. Not much for views but there are some awesome big cedars. You could spend your second night there or canoe back south after hiking and spend your second night on Cougar Island which you would have passed heading north. From there a relatively easy last day out. You can pick up a canoe at the Ross Lake Resort near the dam or bring your own in from Diablo Lake and then a truck portage from Diablo up to Ross (arrange with the Resort). The canoe trip up Diablo from Colonial Creek campground is nice. Ross is a mountain lake and the weather can change quickly. Typically, the wind will pick up a bit in the afternoon so traveling on the lake early is always the best plan. Up to Big Beaver and back you will be hugging the west shore and that will give you some sheltering effect with no need to go cross lake. Shoot me a PM if you want any more details and/or thoughts. If useful to you somewhere around I have GPS coordinates for all the lakeside camps on Ross Lake.

Life is short so live it well.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 8:18 am 
Truck portage from diablo lake at Ross dam, to top of Ross dam, is $25 for one craft, but $15 each if you have more than one kayak or canoe. We met some folks at Ross lake who had used this option last weekend. This option means canoe all the way on diablo lake to Ross dam ( gorgeous canyon by the way ) and then get the truck to carry the craft about 500 feet up the dam on a nice gravel road. It's a flat bed truck. If you are transporting from diablo dam to Ross dam, by ferry and then by truck, then the cost is much higher ( last price I heard was 60 or 70 ). Call Ross lake resort for details.

mike

mike
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 8:42 am 
With three days why not just stick to Diablo Lk? Easy access at Colonial Ck and some nice looking camp sites on the lake. That one you can see from the overlook looks inviting. I've thought about doing Ross Lk by putting in at Colonial and then making the portage up to Ross using the wheels I have for that purpose. No logistics or $$ required and it is a very short distance. It would require more than three days though to do it right.

rickandpat
Rick and Pat

rickandpat
Rick and Pat
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 pm 
This sounds really intriguing, we're coming for a week the first week of Aug., and my back is already strained without carrying a heavy pack for 4 or 5 days. If we started out at Colonial Campground and kept it to Diablo Lake, where would we rent a kayak or canoe (we're experienced with both)? Would 4 days on Diablo be too much? Thanks!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 2:06 pm 
Rent at Ross Lake Resorts. They have a dock on Diablo Lake. Maybe you can convince them to bring a boat down from Ross Lake for you.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 3:05 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Rent at Ross Lake Resorts. They have a dock on Diablo Lake. Maybe you can convince them to bring a boat down from Ross Lake for you.
I've already done this before and this is what I plan to do again. You only have to walk about a mile down to the water then they ferry you over to the resort. Canoe rental rates are reasonable . I'd really prefer Ross lake over Diablo. It just seems more isolated to me. If the trails are nothing special then maybe we'll just spend three days on the water.

erik the red

erik the red
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 3:52 pm 
I just got back from a 3 day trip to Ross. We parked the rigs at Colonial Creek and put in. We paddled up to the dam, then had the resort portage us across (as someone had mentioned earlier, it's 15 bucks per canoe). Then we paddled to McMillan and set up camp. The next morning we day paddled up to Lightening Creek (Be sure to check out an AWESOME 200 ft. waterfall on the west side of the lake, almost diagonal from Devil's Creek). We lunched at Devil's Creek Junction campsite, and started back to Mcmillan. By about 1:30pm, the wind had picked up quite a bit, and our progress was slowed to a measly 1.5 mph or so. The water was quite choppy. But we made it, and camped at McMillan one more night, before waking up the next morning and paddling on the glassy lake back to Colonial. A great trip, and around 31 or so miles for the 3 days. biggrin.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 5:17 pm 
Just a suggestion. Rent a kayak. Kayaks handle better in the wind--or so says my former canoer friend. We've been out at times, not by choice, when he's said a canoe would be pretty worthless.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 6:08 pm 
KillerCharlie wrote:
After reading some canoeing threads and being a native Minnesotan (canoeing in my blood), I have a major itch to go canoe camping at Ross Lake. I want to spend about two nights on Ross Lake with perhaps some hiking thrown in. I actually have canoed there once before - me and three friends went canoeing there while car camping. I've been on about 40 hikes in Washington since moving here, but canoeing on Ross Lake was probably the most memorable thing I've done. I'm posting here instead of searching the internet because I think you guys would be more informative. Anyway, this is what I'm wondering: What's the best time of year? We went after labor day last year and the weather was awesome. From what I remember NCNP can get pretty hot in July/August.
Both are hot, but who cares your on the water and you can jump in and swim any time. smile.gif We went in July and September, both were awesome.
KillerCharlie wrote:
How bad are the winds? Someone told me that by noon it's too hard to paddle anywhere. I'll probably be with my girlfriend so we won't have that much power. wink.gif
They can get pretty bad, I paddled through 3-4 foot waves. Just stay near the shore. The wind is in the afternoon so paddle early in the AM.
KillerCharlie wrote:
Are there any good campsites with trailheads that we can reach in one day? I'd prefer a good trail (one with a view or lake would be nice). That way we could canoe out on the first day, hike the trail the second day, then canoe back on the third. Otherwise we could just canoe for three days.
Not sure where your putting in at. I would assume at the south end. Big Beaver is the closest, you can hike up the amazing valley and marvel at the big trees. Here is our camp :
Big Beaver Campground sits in a cove at the inlet of Big Beaver Creek and Big Beaver trail.  Its a large campground with two bathrooms and a dock. You can get a water taxi ride from the Ross Lake Resort to this to save you hiking 12 miles.
Big Beaver Campground sits in a cove at the inlet of Big Beaver Creek and Big Beaver trail. Its a large campground with two bathrooms and a dock. You can get a water taxi ride from the Ross Lake Resort to this to save you hiking 12 miles.
If you paddle up the east finger there are some awesome cliffs to jump off : http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=1&ct=6&w=10969685%40N00&q=ross+lake+cliff+jump&m=text And I agree that Lightening Creek is a great camp, when we were they had the dock there (I think they may move it though) and it has nice views.
View of the Lightening Creek Stock camp with its double docks and fish cleaning station. As seen from the bridge over Lightening Creek.
View of the Lightening Creek Stock camp with its double docks and fish cleaning station. As seen from the bridge over Lightening Creek.
Have a great trip, its one of the best ways to see the back country and get to pack some great food. wink.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Jul 04, 2009 9:29 am 
mike wrote:
With three days why not just stick to Diablo Lk? Easy access at Colonial Ck and some nice looking camp sites on the lake. That one you can see from the overlook looks inviting. I've thought about doing Ross Lk by putting in at Colonial and then making the portage up to Ross using the wheels I have for that purpose. No logistics or $$ required and it is a very short distance. It would require more than three days though to do it right.
The campsite that Mike suggests is Buster Brown. It's a nice campsite and it's hardly ever full from what I see. You can walk in to Buster Brown as well, from the Environmental Learning Centre trails. There's another campsite - for one party only - right below the Diablo Lake lookout, it's called hidden cove. It's inside of a little cove, has its own little dock, little outhouse and campsite, and has some shallow water for wading and deep water for swimming. Special place. If you do go on Diablo, then I highly highly recommend paddling into the canyon all the way to the suspension bridge beneath Ross Dam. It's beautiful in there. Diablo of course is more compact than Ross. Ross is a long lake, and is well over a mile in width in some places. Elvis' trip report has a little note from me at the end, and there I link to a photo set from my 6 day canoe trip on Ross Lake in 2005. Ross Lake is temperamental. You are almost guaranteed glass-like conditions in the mornings, but at the sound of noon the gong show may begin. Outflow winds, waves (up to high waves) may occur. During my trip, we didn't have much wind in the afternoons, and we were told that we were so lucky. Until the very last day - we basically *flew* down from MacMillan to Ruby Arm (where the waters were not very choppy) thanks to the morning breeze, and by afternoon the short paddle back from Ruby Arm (the east arm that Mark mentions) to Ross Lake Resort was an arm-busting endurathon. Recommendation: when you paddle { Diablo | Ross } bring bungee cords to tie down your dry bags. Because you will need the dry bags, from day one in most cases, or on day six as in my case - but you will be happy you have brought them.

Hikes With Kids

Hikes With Kids
PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:49 pm 
a trip review
It's not the review i was looking for (lost my faves when I got new computer banghead.gif ) but here you go: http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1796

Life is like eating a jar of jalapenos - what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow...