Forum Index > Trip Reports > st helens conditions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mshclimbing

mshclimbing
PostThu Jun 25, 2009 8:37 am 
From climbers bivouac: ptarmigan trail is 75% snow free and the climbing route is exposed to summit. There were folks still skiing down to timberline.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman

Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman
PostThu Jun 25, 2009 12:03 pm 
There are some super cool glissade tubes too. The rim is still snowy so there is no dust. Did not use my crampons but used my ice axe because the snow travel was much easier than the rocks in some areas on the upclimb. The axe was necessary for some of the glissades. saw a guy at the rim in jeans, a cotton dress shirt and a champion cotton hoody. No sunglasses and no pack. come on people!

crwdog

crwdog
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 8:08 am 
Only two things to add to this - don't forget sunscreen, and it's melting out fast! With this heatwave approaching you may want to leave the planks at home.

mshclimbing

mshclimbing
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 am 
monitor ridge
Ptarmigan trail is essentially snow free (some muddy bits) and the route is exposed. No crampons or ice axe are necessary unless snow travel is preferred. Snow has melted extremely fast this summer! Yes, people do come unprepared. Several members of the Mountain Rescue Association were up a couple of weeks ago and were shocked at how unprepared so many people were... Bring lots of water and leave your dog at home especially on hot days--it is hell for the pups up there.

crwdog

crwdog
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 11:40 am 
I'd just like to add to mshclimbing's post that please, please, second-guess taking your pooch. I've seen numerous dogs up there with bloody paws, dehydration, exhaustion, etc.. MSH is not a hospitable place for canines, no matter how "rugged" you think they are. I'll never forget the a-hole with the pointer who had severely lacerated paws and was refusing to get up. He was yanking on its collar and slapping it trying to get it moving. I offered first aid and he told me to "f off". mad.gif

Couvehiker86

Couvehiker86
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 am 
Re: monitor ridge
mshclimbing wrote:
Ptarmigan trail is essentially snow free (some muddy bits) and the route is exposed. No crampons or ice axe are necessary unless snow travel is preferred. Snow has melted extremely fast this summer! Yes, people do come unprepared. Several members of the Mountain Rescue Association were up a couple of weeks ago and were shocked at how unprepared so many people were... Bring lots of water and leave your dog at home especially on hot days--it is hell for the pups up there.
Funny, I have been hiking for about ten years, and most places I frequent in early July seem to still have more snow than usual.