Forum Index > Trail Talk > Teepee Falls - Suiattle River Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat May 04, 2002 11:09 pm 
I'm putting this out to everyone, but I'm hoping Mr Waterfall -- Sore Feet -- knows. The Green Trails for the Suiattle River Road has a label for Teepee Falls and a road that branches from the main road at FS-2640 and reconnecting at FS-2660, passing right in front of the falls, but I can't find this branch road. There are no roads on that side anywhere near there. The Suiattle River Road itself passes right above the falls, but I can't find a way down to it at all. Has anyone seen this fall, or possibly taken a photo? I noticed Sore Feet doesn't have it listed on his website. There's also a very nice fall at milepost 4 of the Suiattle River Road. A creek crosses the road there, and upstream it plummets down a tall cliff, making a very nice fall this time of year. I tried bushwacking a way closer to get a decent photo, but it was very thick and I gave up. Neither the fall or creek has a name labeled on the Green Trails. It's actually on DNR land instead of FS. There's a road that goes above the falls, but not anywhere with a view. waah.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun May 05, 2002 12:46 pm 
Yep. Teepee Falls is a pain in the ass to get a good picture of, if it can even be done at all. I've looked for the supposed road passing in front of the falls, but I suspect that there was never a bridge over the creek below the Suiattle R. Road. It may be possible to just bushwhack along the canyon rim to where you can look back into parts of the falls, but I recall the terrain being steep, crumbly and brushy. I also have an inkling that the actual falls is a little further down the stream, the topo maps seem to make it look like there is a 80'+ vertical drop, but all I've been able to see is what's visible from the bridge, which is why I don't have it on my site (and my pictures suck). The other one you mention, I have on the site as '[link=http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/falls/huckleberry.htm]Huckleberry Falls[/link]. A friend of mine 'found' it first and named it such because he thought it was coming off Huckleberry Ridge (which it doesn't). I shot my pic from the road, but apparently, if you get into the fir trees away from the creek for a bit, you can get back towards the base (at least it looked that way when I was there last...I imagine the brush has gown up severely since then). I guess I'm gonna have to try to get back up the Suiattle this year... smile.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun May 05, 2002 11:30 pm 
Huckleberry is indeed the one. It's right at milepost 4 of the Suiattle River Road. I couldn't get a good picture of it at all. The road is too far away for my lens, and only gluttons for punishment would bushwack up that creek any farther than I did. wink.gif I stumbled on Davis Mountain Falls today while exploring FS roads off US-12. Wow, what a fall! I didn't even know it was there before driving by it. I almost flipped my Rav4 I hit the brakes so hard! It was cold and wet, but I still spent 45 min up in that bowl taking photos. It even started snowing while I was up there. I couldn't get the whole fall in view without a wide angle, but I think I got some good photos nonetheless. You're description is right about that tree being in the way. I'm usually against altering the landscape just to get a photo, but I wouldn't lose much sleep if that tree disappeared. wink.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon May 06, 2002 11:37 am 
I think you and I are gonna have to get together and waste some film... smile.gif