Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Baldy via Tyler Peak and Maynard Burn Loop 2009-07-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 4:27 pm 
Got a late start and hit what I thought was the Maynard Burn Trail but turns out I was on the newer Tyler Peak Trail. I got to the ridge and some Marines that were camped on the ridge (who also boasted several times about their 80 pound packs full of beer) told me I was actually on the Tyler Peak Trail. No matter, both trails lead to the same ridge and soon I was on my way to Baldy. My original goal was to hike to the top of Grey Wolf but due to my late start this would have to wait for another day. Excellent views this trip of the interior Olympics including Grey Wolf, Tyler, Buckhorn, Royal Creek drainage, Mount Olympus, Sequim, San Juans and Canada. Tyler Peak trail and the Maynard Burn Trail are both very steep. If you want a water source on the way up or down I would suggest the Tyler Peak Trail. I think The Maynard Burn Trail is better maintained as I saw no blow downs when Tyler had several. All in all a good trip but very tiring with what my GPS says is 4250 feet of Elevation gain in 7 miles RT. Whichever route you take, it is a good idea to either be very proficient at route finding or take a GPS. When you come out of the trees near the top, the trails just peter out and if you are not paying attention to where they are they can be hard to find on the way out, especially if the weather turns bad. I started at 12:00 and was back to my car at 6:15. When you park at the trailhead which is really just the end of a washed out road, walk to the end of the road which is a turn around and look directly to your right and you should see the Tyler Peak Trail. To take the Maynard Burn Trail, go to the end of the road and instead of going right up the Tyler Peak Trail walk straight onto the trail which is just the abandoned section of road, you will see the trail when it branches off to the right and heads straight up hill. Its un-marked but obvious. To get to the trailhead, follow directions to the Dungeness River trail that starts near the Dungeness River bridge on forest road 2870. About a mile or so before you get to the bridge and parking area there is a turn off on the right. Follow this for a mile or 2 to the parking area. If this road is too rough for your car, you can park at the Dungeness trailhead parking mentioned above and hike the Dungeness River trail to the Royal Basin Trail and then to the Lower Maynard Burn Trail but this adds about 500 feet of elevation gain to the hike plus about 3 miles. The road isn't really that bad.
Creek on Tyler peak trail
Creek on Tyler peak trail
Royal Creek drainage and The Needles
7 labels
Mount Buckhorn
Mount Buckhorn
Grey Wolf Ridge
Grey Wolf Ridge
Tyler Peak
Tyler Peak
Sequim
Sequim
Mount Baldy
Mount Baldy
The Needles
The Needles
Grey Wolf Ridge
Grey Wolf Ridge
Baldy Summit
Baldy Summit
Mounts Mystery and Deception
2 labels
Mounts Mystery and Deception
Buckhorn
Buckhorn
Sequim
Sequim
Mount Olympus
Mount Olympus
Baldy Summit Chipmunk
Baldy Summit Chipmunk
Tight switchbacks on Maynard Burn Trail
Tight switchbacks on Maynard Burn Trail
Panorama Grey Wolf Mountain
Panorama Grey Wolf Mountain
Panorama Point 6537 and Baldy
Panorama Point 6537 and Baldy
Panorama looking west from below Tyler Peak
Panorama looking west from below Tyler Peak
Panorama Grey Wolf and Baldy
Panorama Grey Wolf and Baldy
Baldy Loop Map
Baldy Loop Map
Baldy Loop Elevation Profile
Baldy Loop Elevation Profile
Hopefully I will have some video up pretty soon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 8:57 pm 
Nice trip -- I added some labels to your pics of the mountains at the head of Royal Creek. We were up there for 5 days last week climbing everything in sight.

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 9:16 pm 
Thanks for the Labels Puzzlr. I renamed those pictures accordingly.