Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sunrise Ridge ONP, 7/11/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David K

David K
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 2:17 pm 
I decided to take advantage of the nice weather on Saturday and send the day exploring the trails near the Hurricane Ridge Visitors center at ONP. I arrived at the trail head at 9AM having caught the 6AM ferry departing Seattle for Winslow. The parking lot at the visitors center was nearly empty when I arrived, I was on the trail by 9:30AM. The weather at the end of the day was very dramatic, I saw the first of several lightening flashes at 8PM, I was poised 2 miles from the tail head on Sunrise Ridge anticipating a nice sunset. Moments later I felt the first raindrop on my head....dam it mad.gif I turn to look & see where the weather is coming from, when I see a very a rainbow just east of me. The rain cloud didn't look to bad...I quickly rationalize that this is a gift from the weather god, a gift to be enjoyed not cursed...after all one must have rain to have a rainbow agree.gif Fortunately I brought my rain gear, I quickly put on my coat in order to protect my photo gear! While taking photos of the rainbow the rain intensifies so I beat feet...after a few minuets it stops, just long enough to snap a few more photos. Lightening flashes and a fairly steady rain accompanied me back to the trail head. While I was unable to take as many sunset photos I had planned the lightening & rainbows more than made up for it! What an awesome day to be in the forest.....I was on the trail 12 hours, took 16 gigs of photos, walked 10.6 miles & 3,100 ft of elevation gain.
Avalanche Lilly
Avalanche Lilly
Klahanne Ridge
Klahanne Ridge
Sunset Ridge
Sunset Ridge
Venison
Venison
Venison
Venison
Rainbow at Sunset
Rainbow at Sunset
Rainbow at Sunset
Rainbow at Sunset
Sunset on Sunrise Ridge
Sunset on Sunrise Ridge

If you watch Jaws backwards its the touching story of a giant shark who pukes up so many people the town is forced to build a beach.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 6:43 pm 
Amazing photos! Very nice!

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 pm 
Nice photos! up.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 7:02 pm 
David K wrote:
The rain cloud didn't look to bad...I quickly rationalize that this is a gift from the weather god, a gift to be enjoyed not cursed...after all one must have rain to have a rainbow agree.gif
Rainbow at Sunset
Rainbow at Sunset
I enjoyed your rainy photo ops and the greens framing on the deer. You don't always get what you're looking for, in this case it seems you got some good surprises.