Forum Index > Food & Grub > Hazelnuts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostMon Jul 06, 2009 8:42 pm 
Anyone worked with our local hazelnuts? I just learned about them this summer, turns out we have one out our back window and there are many in Carkeek. It's a really common lowland shrub, and I was just wondering if anyone has tried roasting or cooking with them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 12:13 am 
If you can get them before the squirrels and chipmunks...they are quite tasty hungry.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 8:13 am 
They sure sound yummy. Do you roast them or eat them raw? I'd like to try roasting them. Do you wait to harvest until they are tan/brown, or do you go when they're green?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 10:45 am 
Roast them. They are kind of nasty unroasted. Yes you wait until they are turning tan, or brown...after they have fallen off the tree, or when they are close to falling off the tree. Unfortunately squirrels often get greedy, chewing through the unripe nuts finding no nut inside to eat yet...ruining any chance of nut forming rant.gif It's possible for one squirrel to ruin one whole trees crop.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 pm 
I know of a couple abandoned hazelnut orchards where man and squirrel fight to the death for the coveted kernels. They're just fine raw, although I have never tried them roasted.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 11:52 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
I know of a couple abandoned hazelnut orchards
Damn, that would be the best thing you'd have ever done here -- reveal those hazelnut orchard locations. hockeygrin.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 12:01 am 
Lots in the Willamette Valley, being riped out for vinyards shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 12:09 am 
Thanks. Learn something every day:
Quote:
Aside from wine and truffles, the Willamette Valley is ripe with hazelnuts. In fact, Oregon supplies the U.S. with 99% of its hazelnuts (also known as filberts). Oregon is ranked fourth in world hazelnut production, after Turkey, Italy and Spain. These buttery nuts show up in desserts, salads and main courses at restaurants all over the state and beyond. A hidden gem worth visiting in this region is the Oregon Garden. Although relatively new, it’s worth a look, especially when spring daffodils are in bloom.
http://www.foodtrekker.com/destinations/usa/oregon/willamette_valley/

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
cweston

cweston
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 5:15 pm 
One thing about nuts and backpacking: You don;t want to carry nuts in their shells--extra bulk and weight. But raw, shelled nuts can spoil quite quickly. We threw out much of a big bag of shelled pistachios after a recent trip, because we hadn't started into them until about day 4, and they were already tasting stale and headed south form that point. So, if you take raw nuts, eat them in the first few days.