Forum Index > Trail Talk > Difference? Fishing License/Demo fee?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 07, 2002 9:57 am 
I know this is a topic hashed/rehashed and hashieshed again. The horse is dead and I am going to kick it again. Slightly different angle. Many of you are fisherman and you pay for fishing licenses. Many of the SAME people use the trails to access the lakes where you fish. However, many of these SAME people who have fishing licenses do not want to pay for a trail parking pass. I don't understand the difference between these two issues. Why do these SAME people are willing to pay for a fishing license (a recreation) but do not want to pay for trail fees (also a recreation)? I do not understand. Please help me understand. Thanks!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 07, 2002 10:42 am 
I'm guessing it's because it's a lilttle easier to fish without a license in the backcountry than it is to park without a trail pass (and not get a ticket) biggrin.gif.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 07, 2002 7:59 pm 
Well, I've never seen a ranger where I go in the 25 years I've been out there. Besides, I carry a gun. I doubt the guy wants to give me a ticket, while he's all by his lonesone outhere! Now my truck, there all alone is quite another thing. I'm sure there all brave enough to ticket him all day long! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed May 08, 2002 8:08 am 
BPJ, So you'd shoot someone if they gave you a ticket for poaching? Just trying to understand your last post. biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 08, 2002 8:15 am 
Rough attempt at humor. My appologies. No ofcourse I wouldnt do anything of the kind. Few people are as friendly in the outdoors as I am. I've cut my trips short more than once to help people out. Besides I dont fish without a license! One time I didnt even make it to the trailhead. As I rounded a corner there was a truck in the ditch, and my jeep wouldnt even pull him out (with or without my winch) so I had to take him back into town and get a very large tow truck to help him. By the time we got back there and the deed was done it was late afternoon! Killed my trip, but helped two guys out who were very appreciative! Although the damn tow truck cost them BIG bucks! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed May 08, 2002 8:33 am 
Good question....I think I more readily accept the fishing 'tax' because it is regulated by a state agency that is very dependant on that money to do what it does and I'm fairly certain that the money I spend on that tax is going to have a direct effect on what I'm being taxed for. My sense of the Demo Fee is not the same, plus I'm just highly suspicious of what its ultimate purpose given its history.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostWed May 08, 2002 8:45 am 
These pass & licience don't bother me, the thing that bothers me is where actually does our money go when we pay for this? Seems like we are losing more trains as time goes by and they don't seem to care or take care of the ones we have. For what ever reason, or the roads going up to them. Which in turn makes us have to road hike, (which really makes me, I hate road hiking). I don't mean old over grown roads, i mean rd. that have wash outs or problems they could fix. Either that or they make improvements on trails that are ok, and leave the ones that need work to get worse. Ice Girl

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed May 08, 2002 8:50 am 
Oh Gad, don't get me going on this one...come to think about it, we just finished a thread on another Loop all about this, so at this time I retain the right not to enter into the fray here further. But I buy my fishing license because the WDFW produces hatchery salmonids that cost money to raise in their propagating system for the public to fish for, same can be said for hunting upland birds that are and were planted for decades. In my humble opinion, the fee demo isn't the same, but then I don't expect even my close friends to agree with me there, cause I have several who don't.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com

PostWed May 08, 2002 9:28 am 
BPJ, biggrin.gif To me this issue always come back to paying (extra) for access. I see it vastly different than paying to extract fish or fowl. But it is probably the wave of the future around here. My gut tells me pay roads are an eventual reality in Western Wash.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 09, 2002 3:02 pm 
I don't have a problem with a fishing liscense because they are directly managing a resource that takes extensive additional expense to manage with hatcheries, field agents, all kinds of issues over and above the most basic of issues, land. I expect maintainance and access to federal lands to be paid for when I am done shelling out $25-30K per year in income taxes. I do not support any additional fees because paying my taxes to maintain federal lands is precisely what my income tax *should* be used for, not social engineering, or subsidies of industry *or* individuals. Each of us works 2-4 hours every *day* before we earn a dime for ourselves and this darned well ought to pay for basic access to public land, *including* trails. Don't get me started on the implications of partial servitude.... wink.gif Anyway, basically I do not expect anyone to subsidize my fishing because it is essentially a specialty resource use. Walking on a trail available to used by all, on land owned by all, is not. As for pay roads, keep the social engineers in their place. We have no need for anyone to be deciding how much it "should" cost use a road beyond actual maintaince of the road. All road maintaince should be paid for via gas tax, which should be specifically dedicated to road maintaince with *NO* general fund money involved. Gas taxes should be based on prospective maintainance costs over a set period, say 3 years, calculated and amortized so that the projected gas usage over that period precisely covers costs. Gas usage *exactly* mirrors road use by motor vehicles, automatically factors in miles driven and mileage of vehicles, needs no other adjustements because of this, and *eliminates* the opportunity for third parties to decide what driving "should" cost, using their arbitrary feelings about who "should" be driving when and where.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostFri May 10, 2002 6:18 pm 
Paying for resource extraction seems more reasonable than paying to walk on the dirt. I would expect to pay a fee if I am going to remove fish, game, plants, etc. from the public forest.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?