Forum Index > Trail Talk > Granite Mountain - Pictures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostFri Dec 28, 2001 10:19 am 
scot'teryx, those are some great pictures you took on Granite Mountain. It sounded like a wild trip. Pictures are here smile.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostFri Dec 28, 2001 10:23 am 
I forgot to ask what kind of camera you are using.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostFri Dec 28, 2001 6:03 pm 
Thanks for the kudos! It was one hellish time up there and we got thrashed by the wind and snow. I have never been in the situation where I had to pack up camp on a summit in a complete whiteout and then head down in the abyss of the icy avalanche gulch. Real got the "butt-pucker" factor up there. Anyway, my camera really stinks, as it is about a 2 year old HP Photosmart C200 or something like that. Only 1.2 MP. I really want an Olympus digital that I have been scoping, but too expensive for me right now, so until then! BTW - It gets soaking wet every trip I go on and still works like a charm, so i give it credit there!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 29, 2001 3:30 am 
I enjoyed the pics too. Just wondering which Olympus you're considering? Oly makes great lenses, but I haven't seen an Oly digicam that can match up against Canon's offerings. Canon digicams are the best IMO. RAW format, ISO 50, accurate colors, minimal chromatic abberations (still a problem with the Oly's), compact flash (smartmedia is history), microdrive capable, great battery life, hotshoe, flip out LCD, remote control, etc. There were some great deals on digicams at Christmas. I got my Canon G2 for under $400. Check out http://www.dpreview.com for a wealth of info, including the forums.

Jonathan

Jonathan
PostMon Dec 31, 2001 2:38 am 
G2 for under $400, that's one 'hot' price. You must have bought it from a guy selling them out the back of a van. Oh please do tell........ BTW great shots of Granite no matter what camera!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 31, 2001 3:04 am 
Jonathan wrote:
G2 for under $400, that's one 'hot' price. You must have bought it from a guy selling them out the back of a van. Oh please do tell........
Nah, it was legit. The deal is gone now but here were the components... photoalley.com: G2 for $800, plus they were running a $100 holiday gift check promotion ebates.com: get a 3% ebate on photoalley purchases MSN Holiday Reward: use MSN Passport Express at checkout and get $20 back for each $100 you spend (up to $100 back) AMEX Blue Card: find anything you purchase with this card selling for a lower price within 60 days and AMEX refunds you the difference up to $250 G2 = $326 = $800 - $250 (AMEX Blue pricematch) - $100 (photoalley gift check) - $100 (msn reward) - $24 (ebate) BTW, although the two $100 deals are gone you can still get the G2 for $526 via AMEX Blue and ebates.com.