Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB hauls up Silver Peak and more.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 12:43 pm 
Last night TNAB set its sights on Silver Peak (elev 5,605 ft) south, southeast of Snoqualmie Pass. The hike and scrambles were a success with splendid views all around the nearby Cascades through the cloud layers. This trip report is a joint effort and others will add on photos and maybe a more accurate role call. I had participated in an earlier Bryant Peak TNAB three weeks ago and knew the pace these folks keep--basically a dead run. So I did a Pre-NAB and headed up the trail around 4 pm. FS road 9070 is very rough and washed out in several places. I had made this trip in early June before much other traffic this season. Then I had to park alongside the road about a mile and a half from the TH due to deep ruts and 2-3 feet of snow in the road bed. But yesterday the snow was melted and the ruts somewhat worn down by use. It does take skillful driving and sturdy tires if you're in a sedan. Be warned. The PCT was well-marked and clear all the way to the Peak turn off. I had met some hikers coming down who verified the existence of rock cairns marking the boot path up. HOWEVER, be aware that there is a mystery rock cairn earlier than the turn. About mile 1.4 going south you descend in a series of switchbacks and go around a major obstacle above (looked liked rock outcroppings from below and an avalanched zone from above). Another quarter of a mile or so is a small cairn and a boot bath up. Supposedly there is a small tarn along the trail beyond. That tells you that you've gone too far. (Turns out that the main party did just that. I've leave it up to them to explain their bushwhack up.) I followed the steep boot path up for quite aways but it kept taking me well south of the peak which I could see through the trees. I was running into No Trespassing signs for the Cedar River Watershed. I ended up on top of a beautiful knob but far from my goal. 'Tried bushwhacking toward the peak, but ran into some fierce resistance and gained some scratches. So then I decided to retrace my steps and search for another path. That worked and soon I was back on track headed for the scree slopes up Silver. Along the way the bugs which had been present all along suddenly intensified. There was a snow-filled saddle that made me wonder if the summit would be any fun at all. But as luck would have it, the breezes intensified and I kept up my pace outrunning the mosquitoes, gnats and flies. The last bit of the climb up was quite nice, just enough exposure to keep it thrilling and views all around. No one in sight. I waved at three ravens in the distance above Lake Annette and they flew over to check me out. Very cool. I arrived on top by 6 pm. The sun was still warm, but it was very windy now. I had plenty of time to eat, rehydrate, take photos and find comfortable perches. The clouds were filling the valleys below and overflowing up through Windy Pass. I could see the road I had driven up and Twin Lakes. Mt. Catherine was also above the clouds, Hyak would be covered, then peek out. The Pass was socked in, but beyond Keechelus Lake and the ridges beyond were open and sunny. About an hour or so later, I saw my first visitor approaching from below. It was a guy and with a little dog leading the way. Soon I was joined by Larry and Digger. Larry was friendly and I was immediately taken with Digger. He had such presence. Despite his short stature he moved about the rocks with an ease and confidence that was impressive. He was friendly, courteous, not distant or standoffish---just right. He was attentive to Larry, but his own person as well. He saw me from below, paused, summitted, then checked out the top like a pro. We introduced ourselves and Digger went about his business of seeing what Silver Peak had to offer. We all watched the trail from above to see who would show up next. Larry and I observed a small aircraft gaining altitude to clear the clouds and fly over the Pass. By 8 pm, the main party had arrived. Magnum and maybe seven or eight others swarmed the summit looking for places to drop their poles, packs and catch their breath. Cameras, water bottles and food were in hand. No other dogs appeared that night. A few other peeps arrived including Mntsun and ewb. Mntsun had started shortly after I did and gone on to summit both West and East Tinkham, then West again and on to Abiel. Astounding job since he arrived pretty much on the heels of the main party. ewb had started from the Cold Creek/Twin Lakes trailhead as did WxMan so they had additional altitude to gain. The sun was setting and the group photo was taken from rather a precarious rocky slope by Magnum. Heading down the peak we encountered Malachai who had also summitted West Tinkham and Abiel enroute. Quite an achievement doing those extra peaks in such a short window. Maybe we'll hear some stories from them as well. The trip down was relatively painless and quick. Everyone in the main party was pretty much together in the growing darkness. We didn't need headlamps and by the time we reached the TH the fog had rolled in. Everyone loaded up and many headed for the watering hole down in North Bend. I had a terrific time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WxMan

WxMan
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 1:57 pm 
(Brush*Bugs / Brews)^TNAB = Silver(Tinkham/Abiel) Peak(s)
Nice report. Well documented Zephyr, and thanks for the ride back down to my car! Much like ewb, took the Twin Lakes TH start to the trip in hopes of exploring a route up the E ridge of Tinkham from the Twin Lakes trail junction with the PCT. To my disdain there was not much more than wicked steep brush and cliff bands to greet me. I ended up traversing across the N base of Tinkham, somewhere above the tarn and below the cliffs. I knew there was a climbers route up the W side of the mountain and the PCT below me, so I tried... unsuccessfully... to split the difference and meet the climbers path on the way up. More steep vegetated slopes and unpleasant loose talus let me back down toward the PCT eventually where I encountered the rest of the lost hmmm.gif ...er misdirected hmmm.gif ...err exploratory biggrin.gif group bushwhacking up a creek bed. We ended up grouping up accordion-style up to the top of Silver. The view up top was quite nice with the sea of marine layer choking up most the valleys and sound with peaks above. Fog and clouds pouring over the gaps and passes was fun to watch while a crisp breeze kept the bugs at bay on the summit (too bad that wasn't the case down below bug.gif| Skeeters were pretty gnarly on the lower slopes. Hike out was swift, and the company was first class. Thanks again to Zephyr for the ride from Windy Pass back down to my truck. And a BIG up.gif up.gif to the multi-summit folks, pretty cool stuff. Oh, and the Pour House drink.gif burger.gif up.gif biggrin.gif
Twin Lakes from the creek
Twin Lakes from the creek
Silver from the base of Tinkham
Silver from the base of Tinkham
TNAB up top
TNAB up top
Sunset over a sea of clouds down I-90
Sunset over a sea of clouds down I-90
Fog rolling into the pass
Fog rolling into the pass
TNAB heading down Silver
TNAB heading down Silver

"Nature is orderly. That which appears to be chaotic in nature is only a more complex kind of order." -- Snyder WxMan= 'Weatherman' for those unaware
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 2:31 pm 
Thanks, WxMan for your kind words and the added photos. I enjoyed our conversation and getting to meet you.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 3:19 pm 
Still in recovery mode wink.gif Decieded to leave early and try for the Trifecta. Uneventful ride to pass. The road to Windy Pass was bumpy but I have seen worse on way I saw EWB parking and offered him a ride to top but he wanted more exercise. As I parked saw Mountainsun leaving and he said he was trying for the 3 peaks also. The trail was in good shape with out too many bugs. The sun began shining. I quickly made my way to the turnoff. At the top of the rdge I set off for Tinkham. If you are indefinite about the route it is easy to follow, just keep the watershed signs to your right and ascend the ridge. The route becomes class 3 dirt in places. A few side trails lead to cliff views which are impressive. At the top I ran into Mountainsun again and signed the register. I did not take pix so I hope he did. Next stop Abiel. I went the same route down as I went up with onleslightly sketchy drop in the trees. At the junction I headed for the Silver route and at the saddle headed SSW tothe top of a slight rise where I picked up the path to Abiel. You have to avid dropping into the steep gully. I ascended the East Ridge of Abiel Class 2-low3. Looked for a register but could not see it on the wooded summits. Took a couple pix and saw the first arrivals on Silver.
Silver from Abiel
Silver from Abiel
Silver from Abiel
Silver from Abiel
Kaleetan and Chair
Kaleetan and Chair
Put on he headlight near the bottom of the trail when fog was coming in. Ran into a few diehards at the Pourhouse and went back to deck repair this morning. I then headed back to Silver but ended up too high and had to bushwack down the trees. Started up Silver and saw TNAB coming down at the top of the talus switchbacks and highfived most of the party. I was just planning to turn aroud at the snow. Ran into EWB who asked if I wanted company said yes and headed back up dropping my pack. I headed directly up foregoing the chossy path. Once on top took a few pix.
North from Silver Summit
North from Silver Summit
Abiel from Silver
Abiel from Silver
Tinkham from Silver
Tinkham from Silver
On the way down notice the sun stetting so took a few more.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gone

gone
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 3:43 pm 
Very nice report, Zephyr! You really captured the varied times, routes, and activities that eventually led everyone to the summit! up.gif Like WxMan, I reached the PCT above Mirror Lake from Twin Lakes via the Cold Creek trail. It proved to be a nice, but long climb up on a trail that could use a little more traffic, or a chainsaw. Devil's Club and other pointy nasties preyed on my sensitive gams for most of the way, while mozzies and horseflies whispered not so sweet things in my ears. At the PCT I made a right and found the way much easier, and even a little breezier, reducing the bug count a bit.
Silver Peak Emerges
Silver Peak Emerges
Devil's Club
Devil's Club
I soon ran into Recon and friend Susan, who'd missed the Silver Peak cairn and joined me to return to it. Before reaching it, though, we ran into Magnum and Craig, who had, but weren't yet ready to believe, that they'd also missed the Silver cairn. Some quick map analysis and smooth talk got us turned around and headed back the way we'd come and nearly up an un-cairned boot path near a creek crossing before my GPS-fu proved too strong and led me on down the PCT in my original direction to the official turn. There I grabbed a snack, more DEET, and started up. I was quickly overtaken by Joe and Ryan, and shortly thereafter by Magnum, Craig, Susan, and Recon, who bushwhacked their way up from, well, somewhere. dizzy.gif
PCT Tarn
PCT Tarn
The gang soon spread out by gait, reached the ridge, and spread out again by missed turns and returns. At one point, while traversing round the ridge bump separating me from Abiel, I witnessed something come crashing out of the brush and small trees above me, growling viciously and making a terrible racket, and as it rose to its hind legs to stampede down the hill toward me, and my heart-rate monitor began beeping wildly, and I prepared to shout "Bear!" and run for my life, I noticed it was wearing a backpack and it answered to Mtnsun. Phew! embarassedlaugh.gif After reaching the rocks and starting up the switchbacks, I was caught and passed again by, well, everyone who'd already passed me, plus WxMan. The open ridge was beautiful, lots of flowers, plenty of wind to abate the bugs, and an easy trail to follow.
TNAB Ascending
TNAB Ascending
WxMan Ascending
WxMan Ascending
TNAB on Silver
TNAB on Silver
Peak Life
Peak Life
There was some very light scrambling on the last pitch to the Silver Peak summit, and then views, views, and more views of roiling clouds, endless peaks, and a gorgeous setting sun. I am most grateful to the whole gang for waiting that last few minutes so that I could make the summit shot, and a special "Thanks!" to Magnum for risking his life to get the shot a second time!
Windy Pass Clouds
Windy Pass Clouds
Rampart Clouds
Rampart Clouds
Sunset Clouds
Sunset Clouds
After running into MC during the descent, I turned and joined him back to the last pitch, where I hung at the bottom taking pictures, including one of him tagging his fourth peak of the day. (He and Mtnsun separately cranked all of the local peaks before ending on Silver - amazing!)
MC's 4th Peak
1 label
MC's 4th Peak
This worked out well as the sunset kept getting better and better as the evening wore on.
Sunset Colors
Sunset Colors
Sunset
Sunset
Last Colors
Last Colors
After lots of picture taking, we made our way back to the PCT, put on lights, descended into a really interesting fog, and eventually popped out into the parking lot. There I met a group of tryNABers, Jeff (on his second TNAB) and friends Nicole and Rowan, who'd missed the group and PCT turn and wound up on the north ridges of Silver where they watched the sunset and returned, apparently still satisfied with their TNAB-less evening. They did promise to come back and try TNAB again, though. smile.gif From there I continued on down the road to the intersection with the Mt Catherine trail, which I followed back down to the Twin Lakes, and then out to the car via Cold Creek. All told, the loop with Silver Peak thrown in (and missing the Mt Catherine trail turn off - doh!) amounted to about 10 miles and 3,300' gain. Unfortunately, the longer loop left me late to the Pour House, where I found only Larry and Go Jo left in the parking lot heading out. Luckily for me they paused to chat a bit, which put a perfect cap on a fine evening. Well done, TNAB! See you next week!

Recon

Recon
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 7:22 pm 
Here is my Silver piece.
This was a TNAB hike up Silver Peak. A number of hikers also tagged Tinkham and Abiel. Some found the path straight forward, others including me found some cross country action back and forth and up and down necessary to finally re-join the climbers path up. Bugs were a bother, it was warm mostly, but as we know it can breeze and cool at any time! Nice hike all around.
Parking for Silver
Parking for Silver
Along the PCT
Along the PCT
The Tooth is in the center of the frame.
The Tooth is in the center of the frame.
Silver Peak
Silver Peak
Magnum
Magnum
I don't know which view this is, do you?
I don't know which view this is, do you?
Look off to Seattle under the clouds.
Look off to Seattle under the clouds.
Dueling Snaps
Dueling Snaps
Susan in Clouds
Susan in Clouds
Bob on Silver
Bob on Silver
Kaleetan to Kendall
Kaleetan to Kendall
Snoqualmie Red and Kendall on Left
Snoqualmie Red and Kendall on Left

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 9:53 pm 
Man! I had no idea there was so much chaos down there on the lower slopes last night. lol.gif

huron

huron
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 10:01 pm 
Not enough photos on here, so here's the summit shot.
Silver Mountain 5,605'
Silver Mountain 5,605'

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 10:05 pm 
Helluvan effort by all involved. up.gif I have only found the 'path' to Abiel lacking in definition. I'm glad all those having challenges quickly resolved them.

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 10:26 pm 
kick ass group this time!! good stuff and pics!! nice....

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 8:12 am 
Nice gone, dudes. And thanx for the description to Tinkham, MC. Although, class 3 anything and I'm not goin'.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 8:54 am 
Being on hiatus for a couple weeks, I tried to give myself a lot of extra time for the slam but logistics kept me from starting up the PCT until Malachi arrived (4:40). From past reports, I imagined a spirited game of tag the peaks with alpine calls to one another from the various summits. suuure.gif Leaving the PCT required route finding, double checking cairns and sometimes taking paths that went nowhere. I thought W Tinkham was the actual summit so was chagrined when I found a summit register on the return to E Tinkham, where I met up with Malachi. Tinkham and Abiel have more or less defined steep ugly climbers trails which I would occasionally lose (can't see your feet trail) that at least start off well defined off main sub-trail.
Tinkham E from Tinkham W
Tinkham E from Tinkham W
Tinham W from Tinkham E
Tinham W from Tinkham E
Silver from Tinham W
Silver from Tinham W
Abiel had a couple low class 3 areas but were welcomed over the steep krumhultz 'schacking and sliding. There were no hypothesized summit calls ("E Tinham", "W Tinkham", "E Tinham", Abiel", "Silver", "DrScott", "Rocky", "ugh"). My return to the Silver sub trail was a bit thrashy, where I apparently scared ewb.
Tinham E from Abiel
Tinham E from Abiel
Tinkham W E from Silver
Tinkham W E from Silver
The foggy darkness enhanced the road's charm on the way out, very mysterious. Then to Pourhouse where I was so wrapped up in getting to sleep I forgot to say goodnight to everyone. embarassedlaugh.gif Fun night! (scratch, scratch, scratch)

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 12:43 pm 
In the process of regaining the muscles & the confidence that are key to TNAB success a few of us headed out for a little TNAB Lite on Thursday night.
getting started
getting started
We even spotted other TNABers avoiding the heat higher up the pass. Glad to see both of your pooches back on trail Nordic.
Nordic carries the snow with him
Nordic carries the snow with him
While the low hanging clouds made for an interesting sky, they shielded our view from the Ledges of the peaks where TNAB was playing.
can't quite see Silver Mt
can't quite see Silver Mt
'summit shot'
'summit shot'
Looks like we had half the mosquitoes and a third of the peaks, but it was just as 'filling' winksmile.gif
finally out hiking on a Thursday
finally out hiking on a Thursday
Ladies of TNAB Lite
Ladies of TNAB Lite
this is as close to the edge as she gets
this is as close to the edge as she gets
Victoria's first trip to the Ledge
Victoria's first trip to the Ledge
It was a fantastic evening to hike and an even better one to socialize with friends at the pub. cheers.gif Rinsing the salt from my face in the Pourhouse washroom brought back memories of the 2008 season. It's a step back in the right direction, thanks for the great company ladies!

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm 
Very sorry to have missed this one. Jo, again, it's good to see you hiking again.

gone

gone
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 6:51 pm 
Nice work, Go Jo, but where's that new hat?! wink.gif biggrin.gif