Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 5:01 pm 
According to the Snoqualmie Valley Record, there was a trailhead break-in on Friday, Sept 12, at the Ira Springs trailhead aka Mason Lake trailhead. Thieves broke in a window to steal items from the car. Something to be aware of. Also reported was a car broken into on Sunday, Sept 7th of a vehicle parked at a trialhead on SE Tinkham Road (maybe McClellans Butte trailhead).

Bergschlawiner
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 5:57 pm 
Trailhead break-ins are common along this portion the I-90 corridor. The best thing we can do is have an ugly trailhead clunker and leave nothing of value in it.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 am 
The ideal hiking car is an old clunker with peeling paint, dented fenders and ragged upholstery. Leave nothing in it and leave it unlocked. However, using this type of vehicle requires that you be able to keep it in good repair and be able to fix it if it breaks down either going to or returning from the trailhead. Since I'm the type who lifts the hood, looks at the motor uncomprehendingly, and then closes the hood, this sort of vehicle wouldn't work for me!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Sep 18, 2008 7:00 am 
Yea I hear that. The last thing I wanna deal with at a trailhead (especially where cell phones don't work), is a car breakdown. Granted it can happen with any vehicle but..... While maybe taking a spanking new something might not be the smartest choice... I'm not gonna let a few trail head break in's stop me and just leaving nothing of value and figure any vehicle damage/broken windows is why I have insurance. For now my 2000 Maxima has served me well except for the fact that there are certain roads where I don't really want to take it for the condition of the roads.

TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 9:22 pm 
Lookd like MRNP's Carbon River entrance is not immune to break-ins, despite the ranger station there. Came across a fellow this afternoon who had just returned from an overniter to find his driver's side window bashed in. Ironically, he had been broken into before, so he had left his car empty and unlocked to help avoid his window being broken again. Unfortunately, these thieves didn't check to see if it was unlocked or not.

ejain

ejain
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 1:40 am 
TokyoTessie wrote:
Ironically, he had been broken into before, so he had left his car empty and unlocked to help avoid his window being broken again. Unfortunately, these thieves didn't check to see if it was unlocked or not.
Next time he might consider leaving the windows down as well :-)

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:36 am 
RichP wrote:
Trailhead break-ins are common along this portion the I-90 corridor. The best thing we can do is have an ugly trailhead clunker and leave nothing of value in it.
I'm not trading in my Land Rover with gold plated spinners. I'll let my C4 theft deterrence system do the talking. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 1:13 pm 
I've parked my car at hiking trailheads in WA on hundreds and hundreds of occasions, If you count a three-day backpacking trip as three separate days, then the number is definitely over 500, perhaps close to 1,000. Not once, not ever, has my car been molested in any way. Not so much as a door ding, or even anyone writing "wash me" in the dirt. Nothing. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe it's that I avoid the I-90 corridor shy of Snoqualmie pass (not completely, just generally. I have been to Talapus lake, Pratt lake, Mason lake, etc, but these hikes are so boring, so lacking in any real quality, so within sight and sound of a major interstate freeway, as to make them rather pointless to begin with), or perhaps that I hike Sun-Tues, so 2/3 of my hiking days are weekdays, I don't know. But I do know this: I'd rather have my car bashed than to let worrying about it ruin my good time. If your car is worth little or nothing (like mine), or if worth something but insured, then what's the big deal? If I ever get "bashed", I will just mentally average it out over a couple of decades of hiking, making the cost to repair or even replace my car a very small amount indeed. I always refer to parking my car at a TH as "abandoning" it, as in "I abandoned my car at the TH and headed in on my hike...." If it's there when I get back, and it starts, that's just a bonus. My real fear is that it will break down on the way in to the hike, which would be far worse IMO, as then I might miss out on the hike.

CRoberts

CRoberts
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 2:06 pm 
I don't hike often on the I-90, but if I would, I'd prolly take all valuables out and roll the winders down to avoid excess damage. I usually leave my truck unlocked anyways at trailheads...I have a bad habit of leaving my keys in my truck and locking the door.... lol.gif

ejain

ejain
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 2:29 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I'd rather have my car bashed than to let worrying about it ruin my good time.
+1. Once you get started, there is no end to what you can worry about... On the other hand, it's still good to have an idea of how big the risk is, and to know about simple precautions.
CRoberts wrote:
[...] roll the winders [and] leave my truck unlocked
Sounds like a good idea -- provided you don't expect your insurance to pay for damages that are incurred despite the open windows (and you're sure it wont rain :-)

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 7:43 pm 
You should roll the windows down then tape garbage bags to the the door to keep the rain out. clown.gif I wonder if a messy car is more likely to be broken into. My take is the thieves wouldn't want to sift through the mess and then find nothing. This is my current strategy. rolleyes.gif

touron

touron
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 7:50 pm 
We all need convertables. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Vern2332

Vern2332
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 pm 
seems like most people are just breaking windows and what not i dont know if i would rather have a nice car or a POS a POS they might shoot or break more stuff cause they figure no on cares about the car... Nice car they might think to steal stuff...i dont care if people break my windows last thing i want is slashed tires cant drive with that one...just hoping it never happens but the last mile i always get a little excited to see my car for many reasons...mmm doughnuts

This aint Burger King, you cant have it your way.
ejain

ejain
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 pm 
Here's an interesting experiment that was done: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/198203/broken-windows/2

MiKE.B

MiKE.B
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 am 
Justus S. wrote:
I wonder if a messy car is more likely to be broken into. My take is the thieves wouldn't want to sift through the mess and then find nothing. This is my current strategy. rolleyes.gif
up.gif