Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sauk Mountain - Chased up by flies and down by lightning
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:23 pm 
On Saturday our party of two was planning to head up the first 4 or 5 miles of the N. fork Sauk, but when we arrived and started down the trail, we were swarmed with flies as though the underworld had risen and unleashed its biting fury upon us. Running back to the car, we jumped in as fast as possible and headed out to find somewhere else to recreate. I was hoping that being a mixed use trail, the bugs were especially bad because of the horses. We decided to head up towards Darrington, and found ourselves continuing on with Sauk Mountain as the goal. We arrived at the TH at about 1:30, but we figured there was plenty of light and time left to be up and down by 5, even with lots of messing around time for picture taking and whatnot. It was quite warm when we started, and although the biting flies were bad, they were not quite as numerous as they had been at N.F. Sauk. As we headed up the trail, we did find that they were more ravenous then the previous pests, and their hungry advances dictated our pace up the mountain, foiling every attempt to stop and photograph what was truly one of the top five wildflower displays I've ever seen. Bountiful and amazing.
We rounded the east side of the mountain and noticed that the skies were looking dark.
As we continued on, the increasing breeze and light shower of rain we got was quite refreshing. The bugs all disappeared, save for the skeeters who made a strong appearance.
We headed up to sit and look down at the lake, when the clouds really started to roll and the thunder started. We quickly finished up our food, packed our gear, and made our way around the east side of the mountain again.
By the time we were back on the south side of the mountain, the storm was right on us. As we hurried down the hill in the torrential downpour, I seriously regretted my choice to leave my rain pants at home. I was glad to have a jacket, though.
The lightning soon seemed right on top of us - what seemed like dozens of strikes every moment, thunderclaps louder than I've ever heard them, mud spilling in front of us as the trail turned into a stream. Truly, truly terrifying and exhilarating first trip to Sauk Mountain. Hopefully the next time I go will be a little less exciting and I will be able to get a few nice pics. I have a couple that I shot on my crappy cam of the storm coming in that I will post later.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:27 pm 
Forgot to add, the trail WAS in great condition with the exceptions of some tricky slide holes. Who knows what it looks like now after the flash flooding.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:29 pm 
What is this lightening you speak of? Is it related to lightning? clown.gif

Knows literally nothing
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:32 pm 
Fixed. Are we happy now, Sunshine? ETA: I think one of the blackflies sucked out my funnybone. Sorry for being snappy.

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:42 pm 

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 pm 
Yes. hockeygrin.gif No need to apologize. It's tough to discern sarcasm on the interwebz, plus your response wasn't really that snappy. I'm just upset that you spilled the beans on my secret nickname. Sounds similar to our trip a little to the east, although we were chased down by the lightning on Saturday, then down again, but this time by the flies on Sunday. At least the flies and lightning weren't happening simultaneously. The only time I have been up Sauk Mountain it was pouring down rain. Seems like it would be a nice slope for flowers.

Knows literally nothing
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 7:37 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
I'm just upset that you spilled the beans on my secret nickname.
My sources tell me you have more than one....
GeoTom wrote:
At least the flies and lightning weren't happening simultaneously.
Ugh, perish the thought. That sounds horrendous. Can you imagine the size of the flies that would be able to stand weather like that? I shudder at the idea.