Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snowmobiles on St. Helens - let the users work it out?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon May 13, 2002 3:24 pm 
Did anyone catch the article in the Seattle Times yesterday about climbers on Mt. St. Helens seeing snowmobilers atop the mountain? Here's the article Has anyone run into one while there? I've heard stories of climbers seeing snowmobiles trying to climb Mt. Baker (which is illegal). I also saw a WTA trail report from this weekend with someone else discovering belatedly that it's perfectly legal...and snowmobilers DON'T NEED A $15 PERMIT like climbers do. I love the quote by the National Monument manager, that they don't intend to do anything about the complaints because he prefers to "let the users work it out". What does that mean? Ice axes at 20 yards? eek.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 13, 2002 3:39 pm 
So charge 'em a permit fee if they're using the mountain during a period when the climbing fees apply. biggrin.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Beave

Beave
PostMon May 13, 2002 4:53 pm 
I was also up on St Helens on Saturday.... We were "treated" to two groups of snowmobilers who drove right up to the craters edge.... After 6 miles and 5600' of gain, the last thing I want to hear, see or smell is one of those things... I still had a great time though, They can kiss my moon.gif cuz' I know I got alot more satisfaction working for the summit, as opposed to cranking the throttle.....

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon May 13, 2002 4:57 pm 
I am not anti-snowmobile, but I really wish they'd enforce the use of the cleaner & quieter snowmobiles in national parks, monuments, etc.

-lol-

-lol-
PostMon May 13, 2002 7:37 pm 

janders

janders
PostTue May 14, 2002 10:30 am 
I don't consider myself anti-snowmobile. They are a heck of a lot of fun, actually. I do not believe they belong in the same area with hikers, however. Too dangerous. The folks that gravitate towards motor sports (warning: overly broad generality to follow) tend to not be of a cautious or prudent bent. And, I just don't want the rim of St. Helens to sound like Talledaga and smell like I-5.

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing