Forum Index > Gear Talk > Drying platypus bottles/bags - tips?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SeaTacExpat

SeaTacExpat
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:10 am 
Does anyone have any advice/tips/tricks on the best way to dry a Platypus bottle/bag? On the counter, open (and expanded), they seem to take ~3+ days to dry for me - on the flip side, I also have some larger Nalgene Canteens (also the plastic-bag-as-water-bottle concept), and they seem to dry within a day in the same environment. I've searched online, and I can't find anything other than doing what I'm doing, or freezing them..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 am 
I just saw some fancy dryer for bladders, can't remember where. I just shake mine out as best as possible, and then stick in the freezer.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
caver

caver
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 am 
A small aquarium air pump with a piece of tubing stuck into the bottom of the bladder works well.

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:03 am 
Link to dryer: http://www.zerogoo.com/hydration-bladder-dryer--north-american.html

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
SeaTacExpat

SeaTacExpat
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:13 am 
Thanks for the link and the replies - I think I'll look for an aquarium air pump, but the hydration bladder dryer is nifty (if pricey).

Sennin

Sennin
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:19 am 
I've been stuffing a tea towel in to my camelback bags....but not sure what you can do with the platy bottles. Since it has only a single opening you can't get any airflow in to it, and the opening ts too small to stick anything it to it for drying. Will a platy bottle withstand a tumble dry cycle on low heat? tongue.gif Zerogoo is made for the 3" openings on a camelback bladder....and exhausts the air out via the tube/bitevlave. A platy bottle only has a single opening....correct?

ASBrauer
Nerd

ASBrauer
Nerd
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 am 
I bought a Camelbak cleaning kit awhile back that comes with a drying hook. The hook will holds the bladder expanded, which allows air to reach everywhere so it doesn't sit in little pockets with a collapsed bladder. Nice little bonus. REI image

SeaTacExpat

SeaTacExpat
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 am 
Sennin wrote:
Will a platy bottle withstand a tumble dry cycle on low heat? tongue.gif
I've been wondering how they'd hold up to a hairdryer..
Sennin wrote:
Zerogoo is made for the 3" openings on a camelback bladder....and exhausts the air out via the tube/bitevlave. A platy bottle only has a single opening....correct?
Yep. I think an airpump with a long, narrow tube inserted to the bottom of the platypus - with room for moisture to escape around the tube - should work, though, following caver's suggestion above.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 am 
I store bottles 100% filled, with a few drops of common bleach added. I flush bags and tubes with a similar solution (water with slightly boosted chlorine) and then store them empty in the freezer.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Backcountry

Backcountry
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 12:02 pm 
Platypus' (or is that platypi?) are thermoplastic- so you can get them hot without much risk of damaging them. This is why you can pour boiling water into them. I would think a hair dryer to heat the exterior with some vestige of device to hold the sides apart while heating would do rather well. If you can still hold into it with your hands, you arent getting it hot enough to risk damage.

rooinater
JAWS

rooinater
JAWS
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 1:08 pm 
I use the cheap aquarium pump with a couple splitters. Here's what I did. http://rooinater.blogspot.com/2009/05/drying-3-platypus-hydration-bladders-in.html If I'm just going to use them in a couple days and they aren't getting stored than I just let them semi-air dry and fill them back up and use them. Like right now I'm hiking too much to bother fully drying them. Another method is to make an elastic cord to hole the bladders in a rolled position and just throw them in the freezer till the next time you are going to use them. I used to do that till i assembled a dryer.

SeaTacExpat

SeaTacExpat
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 2:00 pm 
rooinater wrote:
I use the cheap aquarium pump with a couple splitters. Here's what I did. http://rooinater.blogspot.com/2009/05/drying-3-platypus-hydration-bladders-in.html If I'm just going to use them in a couple days and they aren't getting stored than I just let them semi-air dry and fill them back up and use them. Like right now I'm hiking too much to bother fully drying them. Another method is to make an elastic cord to hole the bladders in a rolled position and just throw them in the freezer till the next time you are going to use them. I used to do that till i assembled a dryer.
Nice link - I think I'll assemble something similar. smile.gif My schedule is kinda random - some weeks I use them 2-3 times a week, other times it's 2-3 weeks between use. Being able to dry them quickly and store them with all of the rest of my gear would be good..

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 2:37 pm 
BirdDog wrote:
I just shake mine out as best as possible, and then stick in the freezer.
This is my method as well.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
iHeartTheChallenge
Marnie and Justin

iHeartTheChallenge
Marnie and Justin
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 2:49 pm 
I shake mine out pretty well and then hang them spout-up on my pot rack. The little steel hooks fit perfectly into the spouts. I find they dry about twice as fast with the spouts up rather than down, since the water vapor can actually exit the bladder rather than get caught up top and re-condense.

Cheers, -->Justin
huron

huron
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 5:32 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
I store bottles 100% filled, with a few drops of common bleach added.
Ditto. Works great. Alcohol rinse also works for drying. Vodka?