Forum Index > Trail Talk > The balanced rock controversy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
huron

huron
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:02 pm 
There's a whole thread on hard to call high points here. What's the verdict on Sherpa balanced rock? I've got photos of that thing from roughly level positions on both Stuart and Argonaut (zoom in) and both seem to indicate that the balanced rock is the true summit. Is there any hard proof out there?
Sherpa Balanced Rock = High Point!
Sherpa Balanced Rock = High Point!
Stuart Tries to Hide Behind Sherpa
Stuart Tries to Hide Behind Sherpa

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:16 pm 
I've heard from a couple friends who have climbed Sherpa that the balanced rock is definitely higher, although the register is on the lower non-balanced summit. My solution: Push the balanced rock out of the way.

Knows literally nothing
touron

touron
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:41 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
My solution: Push the balanced rock out of the way.
That would not solve the question.
highest point determination
highest point determination
The Sherpa is marginally higher (0.250").

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 7:06 am 
Cool shot Touron. You can even see "The Flagpole" back there. Doesn't Beckey say the balanced rock is the summit? I guess I could look it up but that spoils all the fun. I love how that thing looks like an eagle about to spread its wings.

touron

touron
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 am 
Urp! That nice shot is Magnum's. A vote in this thread goes to the Balanced Rock as being the high point by just a few feet. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 am 
So, if the balanced rock is the true summit of Sherpa, does that mean that most or all of the WA top 100 listers are living a lie? I spent all of 30 seconds on the (non-balanced rock) summit of Sherpa, and noted that the balanced rock was about the same height. I was distracted by the exposure and the desire to get off the mountain and down to camp, to join our friends who were doing the trade route on Stuart and to get our tired butts over Longs Pass and out to the car by dark. (We were successful, getting to the TH just before we needed to fix headlamps). As a born again anti-peakbagger, whether the balanced rock is higher is no biggie to me. It was a fun route on a fun day with a good friend.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 am 
I have been on many a summit and this is my conclusion: When another summit point very close looks EXACTLY THE SAME....IT ISN'T. IT IS LOWER. I have found this visualization to be 100% correct in all the summits I have reached. I have not been to the top of the balanced rock....but I have been at the other summit and the balanced rock looked equal to my summit heighth.

Art is an adventure.
touron

touron
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 7:07 pm 
the controversy continues
Per Fred Beckey Vol I, Sherpa Peak is 8605 ft. It doesn't actually specify the height of the balanced rock, so I'm guessing the 8605 ft applies to the main rock. First ascent of the balanced rock was by Dave Mahre and Gene and Bill Prater in 1955 per the book. Eyeballing Magnum's picture, I think the balanced rock is higher. Looks kind of precarious though. I wonder how well balanced it actually is?

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 7:09 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
I've heard from a couple friends who have climbed Sherpa that the balanced rock is definitely higher, although the register is on the lower non-balanced summit. My solution: Push the balanced rock out of the way.
I say bolt it and make a Tyrolean Traverse. clown.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 7:26 pm 
Layback wrote:
I say bolt it and make a Tyrolean Traverse. clown.gif
Good idea. Those always work out well.

Knows literally nothing
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 8:16 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Good idea. Those always work out well.
Hah, knew what was coming before I clicked that... I'll stay out of this one tho.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:55 pm 
Actually the angle of the camera is relevant here. If you are looking downwards at even a little bit of angle, as appears to be the case here, then a more distant object will appear "above" a closer object even in some cases where the closer object is higher. This is essentially the reverse of the foreshortening effect seen where a closer object will look higher from below even when it is lower than a more distant object. It might be possible to make these calculations (roughly) from some of the background peaks but I'm far too lazy to do that.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 pm 
Doh, Klenke already beat me to this one. He is absolutely correct. Based on the background peak this image was taken from an elevation above 8605. You can't really tell anything about the two heights from that pic. Maybe a person could do an analysis of the angles and background peaks using known elevation and do some calculations from that. But chances are that if these summits are within a couple feet of each other as most folks say then an such calculations will have an error range greater than the stated difference in elevations. A picture centered on the non-balanced rock summit facing the balanced rock would be a better starting point for this sort of thing. A powerful sight level is probably the better option. Or some mad climbing skillz to just tag that boulder so you are covered either way.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 7:53 am 
I know the answer...but I ain't telling! tongue.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 3:37 am 
Here's a pic of the Balanced Rock from the south side (pic taken from the Teanaways). Seems to be a few feet higher.
DSD_4280 Is Sherpa's "Balanced Rock" the true summit?
DSD_4280 Is Sherpa's "Balanced Rock" the true summit?