Forum Index > Trip Reports > Volcanic Neck, Devils Head, Bean Peak - 6.19.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Jun 23, 2008 6:42 pm 
Our party of five (me, rodman, larman, Janet Stanek and Charlie Hickenbottom) started from the Bean/Beverly trailhead (3600') and stayed with the Beverly Creek trail that passes between Iron Peak on the west and Judy/Mary Peaks on the east... at the Fourth Creek divide (5500') we traveled on snow-covered terrain on the north side of Mary Peak and Bean Peak for about 1.5 miles to the saddle (6400') between Volcanic Neck and Bean Peak. From the Neck/Bean saddle a boot path showed us the way to stay beneath the cliffs on the south side of the Neck and make our way over to the east side... where an obvious dirt and rock gully shows the start of the most traveled route. The route is Class 3 from the get-go and doesn't ease up until you reach a false summit that is almost as high as the true summit... leaving only a 40 foot walk to get over to the summit (6600+)... the summit register was placed in 1985 by Bill Maxwell, a member of the Mountaineers, and we were the third party to sign the last page of the summit register this year. Getting back down the Neck probably took us more time than the climb up. Continuing from the east side of the Neck, we took the short trip over to Devils Head (6666')... easy terrain all the way... using the snow at times to make our travel easier. Leaving Devils Head we retraced our steps back to the east side of the Neck... then back to the Neck/Bean saddle... where we continued on the ridge to the Bean Peak summit (6743')... down into Bean Creek Basin and completed our loop trip with an easy crossing of Bean Creek and back to the car. Excellent views from all of our high points... 9.5 miles roundtrip, gaining 3668 feet of elevation. If we did this trip again, we would use Bean Creek Basin as both our entry and exit points. GPS route and photos of our Volcanic Neck, Devils Head, Bean Peak hike/climb. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 8:35 am 
ragman and rodman wrote:
If we did this trip again, we would use Bean Creek Basin as both our entry and exit points.
I've been up Bean Creek several times this year and was thinking about doing the circuit as you've described in the TR. Why would you do it differently? Thanks.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 10:02 am 
Spotly wrote:
ragman and rodman wrote:
If we did this trip again, we would use Bean Creek Basin as both our entry and exit points.
I've been up Bean Creek several times this year and was thinking about doing the circuit as you've described in the TR. Why would you do it differently? Thanks.
I probably should have qualified my statement a little better... the snow on the north side of Bean Peak slowed our progress and seemed to be a waste of time and effort... the loop would be fine without the snow.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 pm 
Is the volcanic neck that thumb like tower pinnacle thingy, or is that tower just a part of the volcanic neck? On summitpost there are several pictures of the volcanic neck, but only one shows that tower. Is this the volcanic neck, below Stuart in this shot from Earl? Is that pinnacle on the other (east) side of it?
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7293/earl809103.jpg

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 1:32 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Is the volcanic neck that thumb like tower pinnacle thingy, or is that tower just a part of the volcanic neck? On summitpost there are several pictures of the volcanic neck, but only one shows that tower. Is this the volcanic neck, below Stuart in this shot from Earl? Is that pinnacle on the other (east) side of it?
The Volcanic Neck is the thumb like tower pinnacle thingy... just left of the white stuff. I've always thought of the Volcanic Neck as just the thumb like tower pinnacle thingy... but that doesn't mean that I'm correct. Devils Head is the pinnacle just beyond and to the right of the white stuff.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 pm 
In my pic, to the left of that white stuff, I see a blocky redddish brown mass on the ridge. But I dont see that tower like pinnacle anywhere. I guess I need to do some more research. dizzy.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
In my pic, to the left of that white stuff, I see a blocky redddish brown mass on the ridge. But I dont see that tower like pinnacle anywhere.
From other angles (especially the west) it does look a bit more pinnacle-esque.

Knows literally nothing
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
In my pic, to the left of that white stuff, I see a blocky redddish brown mass on the ridge. But I dont see that tower like pinnacle anywhere.
The blocky reddish brown mass on the ridge is the Volcanic Neck... Bean Peak (not in your photo) is on one side of the VN and Devils Head is on the other side... also, if you view VN from the east or west, it looks more like a pinnacle than a mass.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 pm 
Thanks GeoTom, and ragman and rodman! It makes more sense now. In those pics at the link in the first post, the shot from the west side makes it look like a tower like pinnacle, but from the east it looks very different. So much rambling in that area; I will have to explore more. I was on Earl Sunday, and there was nobody else up there. I know its a spring destination for many, but nobody at all on a Sunday in August? Wow.