Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB roams Rampart Ridge 8-27-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 2:15 pm 
Traveling TNAB'ers: Malachai Constant, ZeusDaddy, Schmidt Alti-Babe, GeoTom, BarbE, Cmurph, Yukon222, Stefan, Magellan, NatureMan, Ewb, Magnum, Bustahip, Lori, Steve, GQHiker, Victoria Cavorting Canines: Zeus, Athena, Rowena, Kiefer, Jasper, Mazzy Ah, one of the favorite TNAB's of the year. Warm weather, beautiful lakes, trickling streams, few bugs, light breeze, blue skies. Hard to beat for after work entertainment! Several pre-NAB'ers had already left the backdoor lot by the time I arrived and 4 more headed up the rocky/dusty trail while I hung around the lot until just before 6pm with a few other TNAB'ers. Lower portion of the trail was in decent shape; a bit dusty but no washouts and only a couple of minor blowdowns. We made good time to Lake Lillian where oohs and aahs escaped from our mouths. Love the size of the lake and how the ridgeline wraps around it. Pushed up and over the ridgeline to briefly meet up with Ewb who is recovering from a prior foot injury. Ambled past several tarns although water is no longer flowing into/out of them. Still quite pleasant to visit though. Several TNAB'ers climbed the east ridge opposite the col to Rampart Lakes so they could gain a new perspective of the area. Plenty of time for all to gather at the summit, enjoy some excellent cupcake brownies (thanks Magellan! up.gif ) and gawk at the billowing smoke from Spectacle Lake area. Long, slow, delicious sunset followed by a quick return to the vehicles. Road isn't as narrow as last year; either someone trimmed back the side brush or it didn't grow as thick this year. I'll edit this post tonight and add in my pics; sorry, didn't get a chance to load them up to Flickr late last night.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 2:32 pm 
A few random pix
Smoke over water
Smoke over water
Stuart in Distance
Stuart in Distance
Way Down?
Way Down?
More on the Way
More on the Way
sunset
sunset
Hikes End
Hikes End

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm 
Quote:
Traveling TNAB'ers: Malachai Constant, ZeusDaddy, Schmidt Alti-Babe, GeoTom, BarbE, Cmurph, Yukon222, Stefan, Magellan, NatureMan, Ewb, Magnum, Bustahip, Lori, Steve, GQHiker, Victoria Cavorting Canines: Zeus, Athena, Rowena, Kiefer, Jasper, Mazzy
I'll say it again this year. Exceeding 12 in wilderness. Sorry TNAB - LAME! down.gif down.gif down.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 pm 
Tom wrote:
Quote:
Traveling TNAB'ers: Malachai Constant, ZeusDaddy, Schmidt Alti-Babe, GeoTom, BarbE, Cmurph, Yukon222, Stefan, Magellan, NatureMan, Ewb, Magnum, Bustahip, Lori, Steve, GQHiker, Victoria Cavorting Canines: Zeus, Athena, Rowena, Kiefer, Jasper, Mazzy
I'll say it again this year. Exceeding 12 in wilderness. Sorry TNAB - LAME! down.gif down.gif down.gif
There was NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, 12 of us within 1 mile of each other. We had 3 people go early 2hrs, 4 more left 30 minutes early, 4 left on time, 4 left 30 minutes late and 2 who arrived 45 minutes late hiked Mt Margaret/Lake Laura and turned back at Lake Lillian. 1 turned back at the ridge above Lake Lillian, 4 didn't make it to the lake due to a knee injury. I don't like to make negative comments without knowing the facts beforehand. I wish others would do the same.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 3:26 pm 
Um OK, I guess I misread this bit: dizzy.gif
Quote:
Plenty of time for all to gather at the summit

BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 3:42 pm 
This evening had it all. A legitimate group number and absolutely great conditions.
nice ponds
nice ponds
nice lakes
nice lakes
a cairn
a cairn
fire
fire
MC leaving
MC leaving
TNABers arriving
TNABers arriving
a shortcut up the cliff
a shortcut up the cliff
more fire
more fire
a mountain
a mountain
hungry dogs
hungry dogs
fun company
fun company
civlization
civlization
a golden pond
a golden pond
a sunset
a sunset
people taking pictures of people taking pictures
people taking pictures of people taking pictures
dogs
dogs
scrambling
scrambling
goofy guys w/TNAB tees
goofy guys w/TNAB tees

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 pm 
Some left the top before any others arrived and several did not make it to the summit, inspector Clouseau wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 4:08 pm 
Like I said, the TR indicates all gathered on the summit. If that didn't actually occur, my bad for taking it at face value.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm 
Sorry, Tom, for the imprecise wording. Quickly wrote the TR while multitasking at work. My use of the word all referred to the people I saw at the trailhead. Here's the summit pic. And at the time of this pic, these were the only TNAB'ers around for 1 mile. 1 left the summit area as the first couple of TNAB'ers approached it (took about 25 minutes for all 9 of these to gather at the summit). Another TNAB'er only climbed to the ridge above Lake Lillian before returning to the TH. The other six were just heading up from the TH (without the knowledge of these 11). 2 off to Mt Margaret and Lake Laura, 4 up towards Lake Lillian but they turned back before reaching that due to a knee injury.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 pm 
FWIW, I called the Snoqualmie Ranger District and asked about party size rules. They told me the limit is 12 heartbeats in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and that dogs count toward the limit. If so, you guys are 2 over in that picture. I apologize for the knee jerk reaction in my initial response. It seems you didn't intend to break the rules. Sincerely, Inspector Clouseau

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 4:33 pm 
The FS should update their website then, if they consider dogs as Stock. It certainly doesn't reflect that here. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-wilderness/regulations.html It only refers to the total number of people including Stock. So 6 people and 6 horses. Or goats, llamas or other farm animals. And the definition of Stock is "all the animals kept or raised on a farm, ie, livestock". http://www.answers.com/stock So I don't think much of the Forest Service to issue verbal opinions when their written statements contradict that statement. If dogs count towards the limit, then simply state that plainly and clearly on the website and trailheads.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 4:52 pm 
Yukon, I agree the website is unclear. However, I wouldn't go so far to say it contradicts what the person told me over the phone. Call them if you want. She was pretty adamant the rule was 12 heartbeats. In the NCNP it is referred to as 12 sets of eyes. Mabye the blind don't count.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 5:03 pm 
Tom wrote:
Maybe the blind don't count.
And the one-eyed are kings?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
touron

touron
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 5:06 pm 
"But your honor, the ranger did not check my pulse! Why, I'm just thankful to be alive once again!" suuure.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 5:08 pm 
is the 12 people limit for group camping or is that for day hiking? just wondering. hmmm.gif thanks

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss