Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Plantar fasciitis question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 6:47 am 
You guys are all active, obviously. Some of you are runners. You guys might have some decent advice. I have plantar fasciitis, have had it off & on for years. It comes back now & then, I ice, stretch, roll it on a tennis ball, wear orthotics, it goes away. It's typical pf - hurts in the morning, stretches out and feels decent during the day except after sitting at my desk for a long time. I have a frozen bottle of water at work to roll on my foot when it bothers me. It's been bugging me for the last week. Yesterday I put my orthotics in my running shoes and went running (this is not a new thing). I only went 2 miles. Foot was KILLING me. Limped home, iced, etc etc. Couldn't put any weight on it at all. As expected, this morning again, can't put weight on it at all. NONE. Shooting, stabbing pain. Pain when I just sit here, too, even though it's not even touching the ground. At this point, do I see a doctor? Or is it just really inflamed and I need to do MORE ice, ball rolling, etc.? Is it possible something else has gone wrong in there, did more damage to the fascia??? Hurts like an SOB. This is new. Thanks in advance. Sorry it is wordy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anna Mae
or may not

Anna Mae
or may not
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 7:32 am 
Sounds like something new, C. frown.gif Your past experience is typical of pf. This business of continuing, severe pain that doesn't respond to any of the standard treatments sounds different, certainly different enough to warrant seeing a doctor.

Against stupidity ...... the gods themselves ...... contend in vain.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 7:58 am 
My non medical but very experienced advice is to take more Ibuprofen than normal (up to 4 at a time), wear the stretching boot when sitting at the desk, stretch in bed before getting out and step right into your orthotics from your bed. Make an appt. with your podiatrist now if it takes more than a week to get in to see them in case things don't get better. I tried the cortisone shots when things were really bad, they helped me but they don't always help other folks. Jimk has lots to say on this subject too.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 am 
I don't have a stretching boot. I've read about them, and heard about some kind of special sock too, for those who think the boot is uncomfortable. Anyone ever tried it? I hate this. I hate that it will never go away. I need to find a way to control it so it never ever comes back. It's like it's a separate being who is trying to ruin stuff for me. Seems like it always hurts when I have big hiking plans, or like now, I have a 5k at the end of the month that I've been fundraising for. I'm frustrated and ticked off. mad.gif And a question about the stretching: when it hurts like an SOB to stretch, do you stretch through that?? Not sure when to back off.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 8:20 am 
Just my non medical opinion but it sounds pretty inflamed. I would just ice and pop pills for a day or two. Call the DP. I would loan you my boot to try if you don't want to pay for one but you live a ways south from me. They are also a real hassle to sleep with (especially in the heat). I bought a really good book that has a lot of advice Fixing your Feet and good descriptions of all of the different brands of products available to help.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 8:20 am 
Canuck wrote:
And a question about the stretching: when it hurts like an SOB to stretch, do you stretch through that?? Not sure when to back off.
THAT is the $1,000,000 question. My general response is that if stretching REALLY hurts (to the point of the pain being reflexive) wait for at least a day and try again (and this is coming from the most impatient person on the planet). Same rule seems to apply to many back issues, other types of tendinitis, muscle strains etc. And I feel your pain. These chronic things SUCK.

SeaTacExpat

SeaTacExpat
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 8:40 am 
I have PF - had it for ~4 years now. In my case, it seems to be well behaved with orthotics, although curiously, it hurts for me to actually exercise in them - going with a regular supportive insole is fine for exercise, but not for standing around all day at work. It sounds like you might have developed heel spurs - they are common with bad PF, and they do hurt like hell when they get inflamed. On the bright side, it's easy to identify them via x-rays, on the bad side, it's surgery to get rid of them..

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am 
Have you tried any taping strategies? Heel seats? Switching running shoes? I have suffered from PF off and on for years. For nearly an entire year, I taped one foot before every run. My last episode of PF resulted from a high volume running shoe. I felt the PF twinges within the first few miles, turned around and walked home. Good luck!

Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 10:07 am 
Steve, those heel seat things are almost exactly what my orthotics look like. they were custom made a long time ago for pf for me. I haven't ever needed to try taping - I've always had good luck with just stretching, icing, ibuprofen, orthotics and never going barefoot. At least until now! I think SeaTacExpat might be onto something... I have worn these running shoes for awhile. They're fairly new, but have never used my orthotics with them until last night. I only did so, because the pf was flaring and I thought it would be a good idea, cause that's what I do when it flares. But maybe the shoe itself offers enough support and I just made it worse with the orthotics. Hmmm.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 10:50 am 
Both my husband and I have had major issues with PF over the years. The only thing I have ever found that works is a night boot. Anytime I get issues coming on 1 to 2 nights of wearing cures it.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 12:41 pm 
Canuck, At least you are certain of your affliction. There seem to be several opinions about what PF really is. Mine was an intense, external, hot, pain in the ropy callused parts of my heel, arch bottom, and balls of my feet. Like standing on the lath boards of my deck was not possible. My friend has a pain running through her arch, internally...more what I call a strain or pulled ligament. Nope, her doc called that PF too. WTF???down.gif Tom

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 1:03 pm 
Another thing: if you have bad PF and it heals properly you need to toss all your shoes and insoles and start over with good new ones! This alone prevented it from coming back for years. It was last winter I gave myself another case after I pulled something in the bottom of my foot...while wearing worn out trail runners, trying to go to fast. Then I wore bad sandals for 2 weeks on concrete. By the time I got home, my foot was in full PF mode. Yet, a week with "the boot", tossed those crappy runners out and foot was good to go!

Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 1:06 pm 
Yeah, I've got all good shoes. I've had this for years, and always choose my shoes carefully, making sure they've got solid support & that my orthotics fit in them. Got a little careless this summer, since it wasn't bothering me and I wore flip flops a lot but I know better. The good to come from this... I went to Shoes-N-Feet today to see if they had a night boot (they didn't), but I finally bought a pair of Dansko clogs today. smile.gif I've always wanted a pair, and I felt justified today. up.gif Those suckers are expensive, but so comfortable!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 pm 
Flip flops are evil lol.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 1:11 pm 
Tom, the plantar fascia runs from the heel to the ball of the foot. Most, but not all, cases of plantar fasciitis involve pain near the heel. I had PF-itis in one foot that was forward of the heel, i.e., felt like was "in the arch." The doc diagonsed it as PF-itis, -- but it was easy to tape so I kept running. Later, the other foot had the more typical symptom of pain where the PF connects to the heel.