Forum Index > Trail Talk > Winter Yurt/Cabin Camping - recommendations please :)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 4:05 pm 
I am taking off December 23rd-Jan 3rd. I am looking for recommendations for a good spot to yurt/cabin camp in the winter. We are looking for something in either WA or OR. Snow is not a big deal as my Audi loves to plow through it. I do have 3 little ones..ages 2, 4, and 7, so something entertaining in the area would be nice as well. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tall Hiker Man

Tall Hiker Man
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 4:08 pm 
Great question - I got nothing, but I'm hoping others do.

mthyer

mthyer
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 pm 
We'd recommend the Rendezvous Huts in Methow Valley. Keep in mind that these are modest structures and that things can be "tight" and you'll have a great time. The trail system in this area is wonderful of you like to XC ski and there is back country opportunity as well with big powdery bowls. My wife and I were married in Mazama and have used this hut system on several occasions. Also, not in WA or OR, but if you're interested in travel you should look into Yellowstone Expeditions. We took our honeymoon here. Arden and Erica are awesome! If you like to ski get Kari to take you to Violet Hot Springs where you can soak away the trip in or The Washburn Range Ridge Run which is a personal favorite because its so cold and the views are so nice.

Luc

Luc
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 4:42 pm 
we used this site to find our fire lookout for last winter. they have lotsa options for other more kid-friendy stuff.. http://www.recreation.gov/

GNGSTR
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 5:59 pm 
Scottish Lakes High Camp! http://www.scottishlakes.com/Home.shtml

TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 pm 
Tumalo Campground near Bend, OR. It has heated yurts and is open year-round. That is where we stay when we go skiing at Mt Bachelor. If the mountain is socked in, then at least we can goof off around a campfire. Lots of good breweries in Bend, too, if you are into beer. And in OR, you can get beer to go, so you can take a jug of microbrew to drink back at the campfire. dizzy.gif

RodF

RodF
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 9:24 pm 
Kalaloch Lodge beachfront cabins with fireplaces, Olympic NP Interrorem Cabin/Ranger Station, Duckabush River, Olympic NF Hamma Hamma Cabin, Olympic NF Yurts (no, platform tents with electricity) at Dosewallips SP, cabin at Deception Pass SP are recommended. State Park yurts and cabins. Fort Worden SP has lots for kids, but is way up$cale. These are all at sea level, so won't be snowed in & are open year-round.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
PostFri Aug 28, 2009 8:30 am 
Awesome! Thanks for all the responses! We booked a yurt at grayland beach for 3 nights over new years...gonna try and call cama beach today and see if i can get a reservation for the other nights. Still open to more ideas/areas if anyone has them!

PostSun Aug 30, 2009 4:39 pm 
allroad wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for all the responses! We booked a yurt at grayland beach for 3 nights over new years...gonna try and call cama beach today and see if i can get a reservation for the other nights. Still open to more ideas/areas if anyone has them!
Place is kid friendly, but not cheap. Pretty location. www.camasmeadowslodge.com

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Henchbot

Henchbot
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm 
Scottish Lakes High Camp is KILLER if you can get in. We go every Spring and its always epic. Someone already linked up above....check it out.

Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm 
Scottish Lakes cabins are great for kids and no hiking required to get there. I love it but it is kinda expensive. There are family weekends that might be fun if you have kids to join up with others. There's also Mt Tahoma trails cabins and yurt at Rainier. Much cheaper!!! You have to hike/ski in with your gear and food unlike Scottish Lakes and the Rendevouz cabins in Methow, but the Copper Creek hut isn't far in. I went there last winter with two three year olds pulled in a ski sled. Downside is that it is really hard to get a spot on the weekend in winter (check spring though) and you may have to share with others you don't know if you don't have enough people to fill it up because I don't think they let you take the extra spaces. ? Good to know about the heated yurts at Tumalo. That is a great spot!

Buttercup
Buttercup

Buttercup
Buttercup
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 3:41 pm 
Northwest Cheaplseeps: http://www.nwcheapsleeps.org and search for "cabin" or "yurt." Winter is a great time to be considering this b/c yurts and cabins on public lands get so booked out in the summer.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Sep 03, 2009 8:23 am 
allroad wrote:
We booked a yurt at grayland beach for 3 nights over new years...
My folks camp at Grayland for every major holiday in the summer, so I've been there plenty of times. The yurts are nice, nothing fancy, but they get the job done and they have heaters. up.gif Not sure if you're familiar with Grayland, but the yurts are located out in the newer "sand dune" (you'll see what I mean) loop at the park, so you're even closer to the beach...the new loop also has the newer bathroom, which is much fancier (individual shower rooms) than the older loops bathroom. Have fun! I've thought about heading there when there's a nice storm moving in...

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
PostThu Sep 03, 2009 11:15 am 
wamtngal wrote:
allroad wrote:
We booked a yurt at grayland beach for 3 nights over new years...
Have fun! I've thought about heading there when there's a nice storm moving in...
Thats my plan..a nice adult beverage, a warm down coat, and a view of the storms coming in over the pacific!