Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Monte Cristo History and Surrounding Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bccruiser

bccruiser
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 9:36 pm 
I just finshed up a school project about Monte Cristo and the minerals mined. Forget the minerals I'm more interested in the history of the mines and the surrounding area. I read alot including Philip Woodhouse's book, but if anyone has any pictures or other stories please post them. When was the last time someone was up there? I have yet to go even though I lived in Granite Falls for a few years. I am planning on heading up there this summer or possibly this next week over spring break. Though I'm not sure if there is still snow because I dont' cherish snowshoeing in which someone suggested I might have to do. Anyway any and all input would be wonderful. Thanks! Kendal

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 11:32 pm 
I assume you read "Monte Cristo" by Woodhouse. Next, you should go buy "Discovering Washington's Historic Mines". I think Woodhouse authored that one as well. And since you're in Granite Falls you should check out the Granite Falls Museum. I haven't been there yet but I'm sure it has a lot of information. As for snow, I haven't been there since fall but my bet is on a snowfree or nearly snowfree townsite. BUT, the road is probably still closed at Deer Creek so either drive around the barricade (possible $5 fine) or bring a mountain bike.

TwinPeaks

TwinPeaks
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 8:17 am 
The fine for driving around the barricades is closer to $365, it's a five dollar fine if you don't pick up a pass and you park at a trailhead. So unless your rich, wait for the barricades to come down.

frankm3

frankm3
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 2:50 pm 
As of Sunday, the Mtn. Loop Highway is still closed at Deer Creek. It's 11 miles to M.C. townsite from there, in case you're still up for the trip! Frank M.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 4:48 pm 
In the meantime, get hold of a copy of "The Coffee Chased Us Up" by Elof Norman. Really great account of living in Monte Cristo--the author moved to Monte Cristo at the turn of the century, as a child, direct from Norway. Bet the Granite Falls Library has it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 4:51 pm 
The Granite Falls museum is only open Sunday afternoons in the summer months. Another good MC read is The Coffee Chased Us Up by Elof Norman, about his childhood years living there in the mining era.

touron

touron
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 9:37 pm 
check this out...
Check out the Monte Cristo Preservation Association's web page for some good history, photos, and books: http://www.whidbey.com/mcpa/ Hmmm...
Quote:
Donations are always appreciated. Anyone donating $25 or more will receive a black and white photo of the town site dating from the turn of century (circa 1900).
A google search also turns up this snidbit... doh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
bccruiser

bccruiser
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 pm 
Thanks so much for all the info. When I drove up the loop a couple weeks ago it was still closed at Deer Creek. I'll be heading back to Granite for spring break so my plans are to check out the new library they have up there. The preservation site I swung through during my research. 11 miles... hmm... Now if I were remotely in shape or had a horse to trailer up there I think I'd be up to it, but I think I might wait till summer by the sounds of it. There was absoluly no snow when I was at deer creek so snowmobiling in won't quite work either. Eh it can wait till summer. Thanks again!

bccruiser

bccruiser
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 11:30 pm 
Touron: Thanks for that link to previous posts. Most of that I had found in my research. I'll have to get a pic of the poster before I pass it on to Lake Stevens High School. My boyfriend's dad teaches there and said someone would probably be interested in it there and he would ask around. I found this site that I found absolulty fascinating. Wouldnt' it be fun to live up there now tongue.gif http://www2.whidbey.com/jerod/winter.htm

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Mar 19, 2004 4:41 pm 
I love the reference to the "purest waters" in the opening paragraph about Monte Cristo. huh.gif Yeah, if ya like a little arsenic and other mining remnants in your water. Interesting report, wish they had mentioned the dates they were there- I can only guess it was near 1980 from the Honda ORV in one picture and the fact that the MC Lodge was still standing and you could obviously still drive in there before storm damage permanently closed the road.

didydip

didydip
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 12:26 pm 
I'm big into Mines. Haven't been up to Monte Cristo yet but I cant wait to go this summer. Is there snow at deer creek road? And can you drive UP deer creek road? Before winter hit we drove up there 3 times in search of the "Bonanza Queen Mine". Found it on the 3rd time. Had only 5 minutes to explore it because it got too late. We ended up coming out in the dark anyway. If anyone is eager to find this mine, be prepared to spend 30m-1hr figuring out a way to cross the creek WITHOUT getting wet. Anyone been to the St. Louis mine further up deer creek road? I heard it's great. (there are a few mines up there).

Far Fig Newton

Far Fig Newton
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 7:29 pm 
There is a neato mine adit at Devils Lake area (or is it called Double Eagle Lakes?). Take the old road about a mile up Deer Creek road, on the right. Follow through several switchbacks and then find the old trail to the mine. Expect to get lost. It's near a waterfall coming from the lakes.

touron

touron
PostSat Apr 03, 2004 11:36 am 
"as rich as the Count of Monte Cristo"
Here is more historical stuff I found in the deep in the Google Mine shaft on the slopes above Monte Cristo: Rockefeller Stoked Northwest Smelters Rockefeller Family Archives (see bottom paragraph) History of the Robe Canyon Area The history of the Robe Canyon (check out the photos!) Check out this model of the Monte Cristo Railroad. Model railroad exhibited this July in Seattle.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
bccruiser

bccruiser
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 6:47 pm 
Enjoyed the pictures didydip. Where were most of those from? My boyfriend's mom has a friend that owns part of the Boston American. I'm looking forward to possibly being able to get the key to the gate and explore that one. It's pretty flooded last I heard. This summer I hope to really start exploring some. A couple of friends and I are planning a trip to the Bonanza Queen some nice weekend. Has anyone found that a GPS is helpful when finding the mines? I found a great site for coordinates of various mines... including the BQ.

didydip

didydip
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 8:24 pm 
Those are all from Blewett and liberty. I haven't found GPS to be very helpful at all. I have a garmin etrex legend and it always has some sort of interference. I think i'm gunna head over to blewett tomorrow, it's just about that time. Yeah, I haven't explored the BQ yet... But the opening on that sucker is huge. Could prolly drive a volvo into it. smile.gif ***** Edit ***** If you haven't found the BQ yet, it's pretty tricky. The book doesn't tell you exactly how to get there. The book is actually off by quite a bit.. I've talked to daryl about this and I THINK he said they wrote it by memory. The book says it's rated for b2-d5. The hike to the first mine is NUTS. very very steep, no trail, stickerbushesfromhell, and loooong. You pretty much scramble up the hillside going tree to tree. if you have any questions on exactly how to get there, I can tell you, because it's a PAIN.