Forum Index > Trip Reports > A True Russian Butte-y
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm 
Russian Butte has been in the crosshairs since early last year starting with the fabled trip by those crazy TNABers. Shortly fter Magnum, Mesachie, and Omega's trip last year I made a trip out there and got all the way to the summit block before being turned around. Not so this time! There are two main routes up Russian Butte: via Pratt and via Granite Lakes road. ZeusDaddy and I took the latter, which is easily the longest of all the routes. This time of year there is only about 12 hours separating sunrise and sunset. The hope was that if we started an hour before sunrise we could make it back with some light, which we did but just barely. We met on the Middle Fork Road just beyond the Mailbox Peak TH and were on our bikes, right on schedule. Mostly out of laziness we rode and pushed our bikes all the way to the base of Thompson Point (for the longest possible bike ride down). If we had to do it over again I'd say we would probably have left the bikes closer to the Thompson Lake trail turnoff. The big rocks and generally crappy road conditions made for rough riding after a long day out.
This is the "road" somewhere below the Thompson Lake trail turnoff.
This is the "road" somewhere below the Thompson Lake trail turnoff.
This surface does not really make for a great bike ride but it sure beats walking.
This surface does not really make for a great bike ride but it sure beats walking.
Scott in front of the Thompson Point hut.
Scott in front of the Thompson Point hut.
On the other hand, where we stashed the bikes turned out to swarming with large, perfectly ripe blueberries. It was a clear fall day with perfect temps and, although the valleys were starting to fog in we had great visibility higher up.
Our destination.
Our destination.
Little Comrade, Gifford Lakes, Russian Butte from the Thompson Point hut.
The route from Thompson Point to Revolution Peak to Russian Butte is pretty simple. Run the ridge to Revolution Peak, drop down the east side of RP then regain the ridge and stay there all the way to Bolshevik Bump (point 4932). From there drop off the ridge (it gets too craggy to make time) and generally stay in the 4600' to 4400' band all the way to the base of the Butte.
Traversing along between Revolution Peak and Russian Butte. This is one of the good sections.
Traversing along between Revolution Peak and Russian Butte. This is one of the good sections.
RussianButte 011
RussianButte 011
To the right of the lower clump of trees is the start of the scramble to the peak.
To the right of the lower clump of trees is the start of the scramble to the peak.
The north side of Revolution Peak.
The north side of Revolution Peak.
The gulley chute on the east side of Revolution Peak. It's the best way to get on and off if you're heading north.
The gulley chute on the east side of Revolution Peak. It's the best way to get on and off if you're heading north.
We did the standard route which is up the SE side and down the NE side. The SE route is definitely class 3/4 and it seemed like the lower parts were a little more challenging. You can also ascend via the NE route but it would be a steep veggie belay without the rock scramble. In my opinion, the rock scramble was the most challenging and fun part of the trip and I don't know why anyone would go all the way out there (and it's a long way...) and pass up on the best part. There is a large summit area to relax and take in the amazing 360 views. There is a disorganized summit register in a glass jar - I meant to bring a new one up but spaced it. From the summit, circle around to the right a bit then drop off the north side. We brought an 8mmx30m rope and only used it on the first section for an arm rapel off a bit of a drop. The rest of the way (tending left) we zig-zagged and veggie belayed our way down.
Scott on Russian Butte.
Scott on Russian Butte.
Nostrovia!
Nostrovia!
The ridge line back from Russian Butte.
The ridge line back from Russian Butte.
Middle Fork Valley.
Middle Fork Valley.
Magnum and Mesachie - you will guys will be interested to know that we only saw one other entry in the register after you guys. Someone named Jan Durham or something. According to the entry, she came up via Pratt with three dogs (really?) and enjoyed the Stoli. We took ours with us. wink.gif The way back is easy - just more or less go back the way you come in. We did just that. There were a couple of places along the way where we were feeling a little beat but it's safe to say that we were feeling high from what we had just accomplished and that helped drive us along. Once back at the bikes we took a short break and gorged on blueberries. Since the hard part was over we took a sip of the Stoli then stuffed blueberries in what remained for later. The upper section of the ride down was a real bitch. I was tired from the long day and was having a hard time keeping upright. Eventually the road smoothes out a bit and we made really good time. Then it was off to the Pour House for a well deserved toast. Here are some stats: Total Distance: 20.72 miles Elevation Gain: 7878' Total Time: Exactly 13.5 hours Road to Thompson Point: 3 Hours Thompson Point to Road: 1 hour 10 mins (for me, the slower descender wink.gif) Thompson Pt to Revolution Peak: 1.5 hours RP to Russian Butte: 1 hour 20 mins RB Climb and Descent: 2 hours 20 mins RB to TP: 2 hours 50 mins Water available between TP and RB this time of year: 0

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zeusdaddy

zeusdaddy
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 1:37 pm 
Awesome, challenging trip. I had a blast. Here are a few of my pics: Climbing up to the cabin:
Getting the bikes up the road wasn't easy
Getting the bikes up the road wasn't easy
Cabin
Cabin
Getting to the Butte-y:
Starting towards Revolution Peak from Thompson Point
Starting towards Revolution Peak from Thompson Point
Making our way down from Revolution
Making our way down from Revolution
Picking our way through the rock and brush
Picking our way through the rock and brush
Russian Butte:
Looking up at the gully to climb Russian Butte
Looking up at the gully to climb Russian Butte
Rich on Russian Butte
Rich on Russian Butte
But very tired, and a little spooked from the scramble
But very tired, and a little spooked from the scramble
Thanks to Chris, Mark and Chris. Their route descriptions were extremely helpful.
Thanks to Chris, Mark and Chris. Their route descriptions were extremely helpful.
Taking the NE way down:
Look for the green ramp just above Rich's head to get past the cliffs.
Look for the green ramp just above Rich's head to get past the cliffs.
Not easy, but at least a fall here is simply annoying, not deadly.
Not easy, but at least a fall here is simply annoying, not deadly.
Heading home:
One of the more pleasant areas
One of the more pleasant areas
Back to the cabin to pick up the bikes
Back to the cabin to pick up the bikes

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 2:07 pm 
Congratulations, guys! Great work and such a beautiful day. up.gif 20+ miles in one day. Fantastic!

Type E

Type E
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 2:52 pm 
Good work!

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 4:26 pm 
Nyet! Oh, nice work guys. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 4:34 pm 
Bleep!! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 7:25 pm 
I appreciate that you scheduled this crazy grueling adventure while I am out of town, whew!! Great pictures and remarkable accomplishment, maybe you can tempt me to the top of a summit with Stoli too?

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 7:33 pm 
Good work. Thanks for the report. Does anyone know the story behind the Thompson Point Hut/Cabin/Fortress???

meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 8:09 pm 
Go Jo wrote:
maybe you can tempt me to the top of a summit with Stoli too?
You bet! I had not had Stoli since getting a bottle in East Berlin back when there still was such a place. I forgot how good it is - might have to start carrying that on all the trips. wink.gif
chiwakum wrote:
Does anyone know the story behind the Thompson Point Hut/Cabin/Fortress???
Not sure but there is a No Trespassing sign on the road just before it. It's obviously a winter cabin because the door is so high off the ground. Not sure that it's been used in a while since there are some logs near the door that are quite bleached. Might be worth a ski trip up there in winter to see if anyone is using it. Otherwise, there might be someone in the NB Ranger Station who knows. Don't think I mentioned it in the TR but someone had obviously been trimming back the alder on the road up to Thompson Lake trail. After that Mother Nature is having Her way.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 8:11 pm 
Wow 20 miles!! Well done.

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 7:36 am 
Nice. When's the trip up from the Pratt?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 7:57 am 
I know a number of years ago the property was for sale for $30k or so. A number of us were interested but could not get it together at that time. It is on private property and is not DNR or FS land. Access is a major problem since they "decommissioned the road" huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 8:00 am 
Thank you for the most excellent trip report! I'm glad you managed to ride the section between the cabin and the Granite Lakes Road without incident. eek.gif When I was up near the cabin, there was a strong breeze and bits of the roof (which is damaged) were clanging in the breeze making for some alarming music.
meandmyaussies wrote:
Didn't realize Little Comrade had already gotten "famous." embarassedlaugh.gif
meandmyaussies wrote:
Bolshevik Bump (point 4932).
lol.gif up.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am 
Very nice! Thanks for the TR! up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 9:21 am 
Yana wrote:
When I was up near the cabin, there was a strong breeze and bits of the roof (which is damaged) were clanging in the breeze making for some alarming music.
I took a good look around and those pieces are now on the ground behind the hut. That thing is a rock otherwise.
Yana wrote:
Didn't realize Little Comrade had already gotten "famous." embarassedlaugh.gif
I found your TRs (on CC?) when looking around for beta for this trip. I'd like to talk to you about that one of these days - that one's on the list...
moosefish wrote:
When's the trip up from the Pratt?
Late August next year or whenever you decide to organize it...wink.gif