Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Hunting Partner Passing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Mar 19, 2004 1:18 pm 
Hunting Partner Passing Its been years now since we went afield together, but I still hear your voice in the October wind. I see the colors of your flannel shirt in the Autumn hardwoods. And in the crisp fall evening 'round the camp fire, I feel your presence through my stare into the glowing embers. It snowed last night around camp, and today while in hunt, I saw boot tracks in it that were in resemblance of yours. And on the ridge where you bagged your last buck, I found a lone spent shell . . . could have been yours? I remember your laughter in the jokes you told, the sound in the pump-action of your shotgun, the "quack" of your old duck call that had seen many decades of Northern flights, and your steadfast quiet stalk during the dawn hunts. I can see your readiness when the bird dog went on point, and the tear we shared when the old dog died. I can still sense your sportsmanship in the game -- always giving others the opportunity in the hunt, and never exceeding more than your share or limit. And in the sharing of drink at days end, successful with game or not. I am then reminded that we are tied together for all time in the hunts we did share in this realm, and in the ones hereafter: 'round the camp fire smoke, the coverts, wetlands, and woodlots in the great beyond..... Ken James McLeod (McPil)

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostFri Mar 19, 2004 9:43 pm 
That one killed me. Beautiful work Ken, as usual.

salish

salish
PostSat Mar 20, 2004 9:01 am 
Ken, this is really touching. As a hunter I can relate to your words very strongly. Thank you. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 20, 2004 9:30 am 
Wow, you've got a knack McPil. Sorry. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
foggy

foggy
PostWed Mar 24, 2004 2:35 pm 
That was sadly beautiful. bawl.gif

WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostWed Mar 24, 2004 9:32 pm 
mcpil, I don't hunt but I grew up in a hunting family and got my love for the outdoors while on hunting and fishing trips with my family. Anyway I just have to say that was touching and so beautifully written!! Keep them coming!! WB

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Mar 25, 2004 7:29 am 
I just attended a funeral yesterday, I wish I could have expressed myself even close to this. It was very touching. Sorry for your loss and thank you for your words.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 6:44 pm 
Thanks to all of you for the kind comments. It means a lot. When I write, I just do so from the heart. The story was inspired from sharing many trips (to include camping & fishing) with a great friend and relative, Uncle Don Sherr. It was he who drew my attention to the high country when we started hiking into places long ago, tho Dad and Grandpa instilled the love of the outdoors prior. Uncle Don was a man of "Make & Made." He made his own backpacks, canoes, fishing rods, loaded his own shells, manipulated firearms to suit himself...all with superb quality...which is sadly being tossed aside for the corporate buys of outdoor gear today. He also got me interested in Indian art, and carving - mainly hiking sticks, which today I can proudly attest mine are of fine quality like his were and sought after, too. At any rate, like many of you, it's tough to lose someone who is very close. He was a superb human being! Don fought cancer the last few years of his life and went to the great beyond with no regrets. We placed his ashes in the Elwah River from his canoe - an eagle soared overhead (I kid you not) while doing so...similar to a story Salish has told me about. ...got to go now as the lump in my throat and the eyes are a little watery. Below you will find a little of my Indian art inspired by Don and an early story of a backpack trip with him. "Enjoy." http://www.alpinequest.com/haidaeagle.htm http://www.alpinequest.com/mthiggins.htm McPil

WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostSat Mar 27, 2004 12:27 am 
Mcpill, We have something in common! I love your eagle. I have been living next to the quinault indian res. my whole life and was always captivated by indian art. I have been painting and drawing indian designs for about 12 years now but have never got the chance to sell or show my work. Everyone always tells me to get my work out there but I just never have the guts to do it. Do you have any advice for me? WB

salish

salish
PostSat Mar 27, 2004 8:28 am 
McPil, You were so lucky to have a relative like your Uncle Don. I would have liked to have met him. We are losing so many of our "Uncle Dons" in this life. I tend to think of these people as the Real McCoy's of this world. I never had the pleasure of knowing Norton, but I from what I've heard I would imagine that he was like this. Like you, I've been lucky to have had relatives who made impressions on me similar to your Uncle Don. We are blessed by this. You are also blessed by your Eagle..... Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 10:48 pm 
WrongBridge, thanks again for kind words. As far as getting exposure for your artwork: One way is to have prints/lazer copies made of your originals. You can do this either by taking a photo of them, then producing then as in a photo copy at a printing company. With a good camera you can create almost an exact replica of your orignal for sale. Or photo copy the orginals themselves and sell those copies at say perhaps events or fairs (requires usually booth space) which is not too expensive. On original paintings, they are hard to sell, as with photos that are framed. And it is far better IMO to sell copies unframed, tho titled and signed by yourself rather than the originals. but of course the originals will sell for a much high price once one has established places to market or outlets. My advise is to expose your work, copy it, and seek exposure by landing an outlet to sell it...small shops, events, fairs, ect. Also consider a web site, too. Send JPEGS out of your work, too. Send photos of your work to magazines. Then go for a much broader exposure like entering originals in the Arts For The Parks...such as the Jackson Hole Wyoming National Park Arts Contest. At any rate, don't be afraid to bring your work forward and don't just sit on it. A good friend of mine told me, "get all that stuff off your den desk, let people of the world read and see it, put a lot of it on a web site, and grow with it." Most of all, put your heart into your work, go for it, get the "eye of the tiger" feeling and be confident of your creations. If you do this, your work can't be anything but good, and people will react positive. Most artists starv for years as far as cash goes, but I have a friend now who gets thousands for each painting, wins all kinds of awards too, only because he devots countless hours from his heart at it. Same goes for writing, when you pour your heart into it, it will sell evetually and your work will be sought after. Lastly, remember the artist and writer has more to express than the profit from sales, but I suspect you already know that from the individual that I think you are...fulfill your dream my man and succeed.....go for it! McPil

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 11:02 pm 
Salish wrote: "We are blessed by this. You are also blessed by your Eagle....." Roger on that brother, roger on that. McPil

WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 10:34 pm 
Mcpil, Thank you so much for all the advice. I will take it to heart and get the ball rolling. WB