Forum Index > Photography Talk > Canon's latest mini marvel, the S-500
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Mar 20, 2004 8:42 pm 
Another marvel in the Canon Elph line has made the limelight. The Canon S-500 is now tempting the heck out of me. What is your view on this one Tom?

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 21, 2004 12:00 am 
It's basically a S400 with an extra megapixel. More marketing than sense IMO. The extra megapixel is crammed into the same size sensor so you get more noise & purple fringing in exchange for minimal resolution gain. Deja vu of the G5 vs. G3 - a step backward for more money. Best thing about the S500 is the S400 price is down to around $315.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Mar 21, 2004 2:34 am 
$315 for an S-400 makes this a good time to consider picking it up as that "special" back up to my G-3. Thanks Tom, I appreciate the input. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Mar 22, 2004 11:55 pm 
Think Staples has S400s on closeout for $279.90. That's a steal of a deal -- I'd buy another if mine weren't still working perfectly. wink.gif They aren't available in the physical stores anymore. The trick is to buy the S400 at full price online via Staples.com and then take it back into the physical store for a return / repurchase. The price in-store will be $279.90. Enjoy! ObPost - A feel the S500 is a step in the right direction...I would have liked to have the ability to do 640x480 movies with my S400 -- 320x240 is just unusable. I'm glad to see at least *one* improvement after the ho-hum release of the S410.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Mar 23, 2004 2:49 pm 
It seems like every time I blink an eye, Canon's got a new member of the Powershot family! I've been a faithful Canon buyer/user for about 8 years now and it's all I really look at but I'm starting to get exhausted by their insane marketing methods. I just bought a S400 about three months ago and now there are TWO digital elphs that are better....but only slightly better. But REALLY ANNOYING since I love taking movies of my buds and me skiing. What they need to do is put out a DSLR like the EOS 10-D with a full frame sensor, get rid of this 1.6X crap and price it similarly to the EOS 10-D. I'd be holding one right now if they did. I can't afford to throw down the equivalent of a downpayment on a house for their full-frame EOS 1D...nor do I want to buy another SUPER wide angle lens for big $ or let my arsenal of Canon lenses start collecting dust! It's obvious where Canon's target demographic exists. Sorry, just my rantings.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Mar 23, 2004 2:53 pm 
The upshot is that your S400 (which I'm guessing you got for a decent price) is still a great camera and that even the latest and greatest aren't all that much better than what you're carrying for casual shooting. Dunno. I'm still pleased as punch with the performance of my S400.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Mar 23, 2004 3:14 pm 
Don't get me wrong....I really like my little S400. I bought it to have something WAY lighter and smaller than my EOS 5 + Lenses (Euro version of EOS A2E). It takes quite good photos, fun little movies, it's easy to operate, etc., etc. I've recommended it to several people since buying it, 2 of whom did exactly that and love theirs too. I also got the WP case so that, being a fish biologist, I can take it in the field with me and feel safer when walking, canoeing, rafting rivers etc. It's just frustrating when you do tons of research, agonizing over little tiny things, finally pull the trigger and buy a camera, only to find that a few months later there's some shiny new thing that's a little better. It's just a gearhead problem, really. And I'm irritable right now.