Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Barbeque lovers - The real thing - in Bellevue!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun May 19, 2002 3:55 pm 
Dixie's 11522 Northrup Way Bellevue Larch says it's as good as anything she had in Texas. It's at least as good as anything I had growing up in Maryland and Virginia, and better than anything in North Carolina (fans of NC's rather strange BBQ won't agree). For sure it's better than anything I've found in 30 years in the Northwest. It ain't easy to get, or get to. Dixie's is only open for lunch, 11:00am to 4:30pm, weekdays. If you try to go during the regular lunch hour expect a rock concert line. It's strictly carryout, although there are tables on the premises. It's in the running for world's most unprepossessing dining facility: it's built into the corner of a car repair garage and nothing much has been done to alter the appearance. There's still an operating garage in part of the building. MapQuest can't find any such address moon.gif although the numbers 11520/11522 are posted on a little sign by the driveway entrance. It's as obvious as a line of print on this page - and about the same size. The numbers don't make much sense, anyway. The numbers which preceed it are in a series from 3000 to 3600 and it's located no more than a block from the intersection with 120th Avenue. So, to find it, drive Northrup Way till it reaches the underpass under 405. Dixie's is almost under the underpass. Turn in the first driveway on the NE side of the underpass. The only sign is that teeny street number. Once you get into the parking lot, you'll be able to find it. I think there is some sort of "Dixie's" sign on the building, next to a sign for somebody's garage. And there's a roped off line (like the airport) leading up to a door. Go in the door and back through a hallway and through another door - and you'll find yourself in a kitchen. Your nose will tell you you're either in the right place or in heaven. agree.gif Huge portions for about seven bucks. biggrin.gif On the down side, Dixie doesn't serve cole slaw. rolleyes.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostSun May 19, 2002 4:29 pm 

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun May 19, 2002 7:04 pm 
"The man" wards off hypothermia for up to 3-5 years.

-lol-

-lol-
PostSun May 19, 2002 7:18 pm 

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun May 19, 2002 7:30 pm 
2drx, maybe it should really be *THE MAN*. I can't imagine having more than maybe 1/4 teaspoon of it. I was there awhile ago with some people I (still) work with. The man was walking around with the blue pot eyeing potential victims so I tried my best to look like a hardened veteran. He came over to our table and singled out guess who. Why do I have to look like such a greenhorn? A little bit goes a lonnng way.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun May 19, 2002 8:57 pm 
I'm an old man. I don't have to take *THE MAN* from anybody. I like soft mattresses, hot showers, and barbeques without *THE MAN*. - And that's the way I recommended it. agree.gif ps - Dixie is a sweetheart, and quite a character, too. agree.gif agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun May 19, 2002 10:18 pm 
This sounds similar to Hole in the Wall BBQ on Cherry St in downtown Seattle. They open at 11am weekdays and stay open until they run out, usually about 2pm. Line around the block. Excellent BBQ and potato salad, as good as I ever had in Texas.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri May 24, 2002 9:28 am 
You have done yourself a grave disservice if you go to Dixies and do not get a slice of the lemon cake....ohmigawd it is SO yummy! Mcaver, is Hole in the Wall more 'Texas BBQ' than Pecos Pit? I love Pecos!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri May 24, 2002 10:27 am 
Allison, you made a trip to the eastside? You're not going poser on us are you? biggrin.gif Keep it real girl!