Forum Index > Trail Talk > Forest Dice?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
daffish

daffish
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 8:33 pm 
OK, I was wasting my time mapsturbating on Google Earth and came across these. What was going on in 2006 and who and why was this cut in this pattern? The clear cut patches are plainly obvious from aircraft so is this just some kind of logging humor? confused.gif
Forest Dice
Forest Dice
Forest Dice view
Forest Dice view

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 8:34 pm 
I got a photo of that from a flight back from Bend, Oregon in October 2006. Let me look for it on flickr...
I rolled a 2
I rolled a 2
Not the best quality, but it's got to be the same thing that you see on Google Earth.

Knows literally nothing
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 8:38 pm 
ykm.gif breakdance.gif rotf.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 9:35 pm 
You need to call in Treeswarper for the answer.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 10:16 pm 
Proof that a bear Craps in the woods!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 10:43 pm 
rotf.gif Quick wit there Mr. Mike. Hilarious!!!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 7:01 am 
I'm on her "ignore" list. But here's what I know. That was done in the late 80's or 90's as some kind of research. One can do a lot of things in the name of research. I've seen it a few times from the ground, across the drainage. I think it is up in the North Fork Cispus area or Orr Creek area? I wonder if there are round huckleberries there?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 7:20 am 
What other shape do huckleberries come in? dizzy.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 7:22 am 
I'm thinking it was an experiment in forest crop circles. Need to contact Art Bell on this.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Wolfeye

Wolfeye
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 2:28 pm 
My wife told me about these, though she's asleep right now & I can't ask for more details... but, the theory is that those "dice dots" are better for forest recovery than clear-cutting is. Supposedly, they give animals a place to stay and let the flora re-establish itself quicker. In reality, she says it doesn't work because the outer trees of the dots often fall, or something. I don't think this logging technique is done any more. She either heard it from a class on forest management or from Earthcorps, I think.

"Come let us climb a mountain, holding on by low scragged limbs." - Roger Zelanzany
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 2:51 pm 
Domino's Pizza advertising to aliens?
domino's
domino's
It's got to be more complex than the reforestation idea. Off to the right of the two-spot is a "domino", with a side by side 3 and 5, only the 3 is a "negative", white dots on a dark field. I don't have any suggestions ....... except that it has nothing to do with anything sensible. The only clue is that the spatial relationships are almost exactly right for a domino. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 3:08 pm 
Hokay, I sent an inquiry to somebody that I think worked on it, but just on the harvesting part. We shall see, but I think it had something to do with a study on patches and openings. It was about the time of the so called New Forestry which really wasn't new. I don't see much blowdown so it must've held up to the wind ok.

tinman

tinman
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 5:23 pm 
treeswarper, I think you are right about the study areas. I remember quite a few years ago driving up the roads across the valley from those units and seeing display signs that the USFS put up explaining the study. Don't remember exactly what it was but I bet it had something to do with birds or other animals.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Oct 18, 2009 4:54 pm 
Back in the mid '90s I flew down to San Jose and back for a couple of days every two weeks for my job. On one flight coming back I saw a pattern cut into the forest that was a series of concentric hexagons, plainly visible from the airplane. I've always wondered what that was all about. I'm not sure where it was that I saw this, but given the amount of time we'd been in the air I'm guessing it was central Oregon. Maybe some study along the same lines?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 31, 2009 7:07 pm 
The Answer Is...
I attended a forestry seminar today. Much to my surprise, this area came up as part of a slide show. The area was part of a reforestation in old growth study retention and the speaker said it took place 10 to 15 years ago. Seedlings were planted in areas where the old growth was left bunched together--the dice, and a nearby area where the old growth was left scattered about, evenly spaced. Planting was done in the areas to see what worked. The trees planted in the dice area had a better survival rate and growth than the trees planted in the evenly spaced area. They got more sunlight. Sounds like that was it, and the research is done. The speaker said he thought of Mickey Mouse whenever he saw the picture of that area.