Forum Index > Food & Grub > Dehydrating/Rehydrating Wild Rice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Oct 17, 2009 10:10 am 
I picked up some hand harvested wild rice while in Minnesota recently and need to know if there are any tricks to cooking/steaming and then dehydrating the stuff. I would prefer to steam it but would need to buy one. Any tips or tricks would be helpful.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 18, 2009 6:44 pm 
It works well dehydrated for trail food. I will say that for meals it works best added as part of the rice - otherwise it can be too "heavy" tasting. I often use it for 1/4 to 1/3 of the rice blend. Also give it at least 15 minutes to rehydrate (that is if you rehydrate similar to the FBC method where you add a 1:1 ratio of boiling water to dry food, then insulate for said time). smile.gif PS: Also on dehydrating - line your trays with parchment paper. Keeps it from falling through as you dry, unless you happen to have mesh liners already. With any rice I come back after an hour or two and break apart clumps. Then I check every hour for any smaller clumps. With wild rice don't over dry though. Do check often.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Oct 19, 2009 6:56 pm 
Thanks Sarbar. I'll give that a try.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Oct 20, 2009 10:21 pm 
Here's my page on wild rice. I'd second Sarbar's suggestion to mix it with other rice blends. Here's a recipe using local mushrooms and wild rice: Northwest Mushroom Rice Pilaf Serves 1 1/3 cup instant rice 2 T instant wild rice 4 T dried mushrooms (I used a mix of white, cremini, chanterelles and oysters) 1/2 t dried onion flakes 1 T dried mixed vegetables 1/2 t vegetable or chicken buillion 1/2 t butter powder 1/2 t dried basil 1/4 t dried thyme salt and pepper to taste At home: combine everything in a zip locking plastic bag. In camp: add enough hot water to cover, stir and let sit until the rice and mushrooms are rehydrated. Stir and enjoy!