Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kendall Peak and Alaska Mt 10-20-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 12:22 am 
Adam and I wanted to get back into the mountains and these two peaks fit the bill perfectly. We left the PCT North trailhead at Commonwealth Basin at 7:10 and quickly got onto the old Cascade Crest Trail. We made great time on the trail and quickly found ourselves back on the PCT. The views started to open up and the skies were clear. Not much further up we knew that the "stump was the way" and we started up the steep boot path leading up to Kendall Peak. I was anxious to use my new camera and soon we were on the summit and I took my first pics with my Canon XSi
Red Mountain at Snoqualmie Pass
Red Mountain at Snoqualmie Pass
Self shot on Kendall Peak
Self shot on Kendall Peak
We had made the summit by 9:20 and we signed the register and headed back down. Adam hadn't been to the Katwalk before and wanted to know what all the fuss was about.
Adam on the KAtwalk
Adam on the KAtwalk
Not being too impressed we pressed onward and made a quick stop above Gravel Lake.
Gravel Lake
Gravel Lake
Then we passed the other lakes.
Ridge Lake
Ridge Lake
Alaska Lake
Alaska Lake
We continued on the PCT and followed around to the east ridge below Alaska Mt. We started up the ridge and dropped on the northern side and found a faintish bootpath and followed it up. The trail came and went but we headed up anyway. We stayed on the ridge and it got a bit tricky in a few spots and it reminded me the ridge to Mt Daniel. Finally we were on the summit and taking in the views of all of the peaks surrounding us.
Full pano view from the summit of Alaska Mt
Full pano view from the summit of Alaska Mt
Adam and I on the summit of Alaska Mt
Adam and I on the summit of Alaska Mt
We headed back down the ridge as we had left our poles below but figured that a future trip up could be a bit easier from the west side of the summit, or from the talus field below the east side ridge.
Looking up towards Alaska Mt
Looking up towards Alaska Mt
We made really good time back to the Katwalk where we found a guy chilling on it enjoying the views and solitude.
Adam on the Kendall Katwalk
Adam on the Kendall Katwalk
The colors in the area were nice but starting to fade a bit.
PCT with fall color
PCT with fall color
We got back down to the Commonwealth Creek where we stopped for a few pics along the way.
Commonwealth Creek
Commonwealth Creek
Commonwealth Creek
Commonwealth Creek
Commonwealth Creek Falls
Commonwealth Creek Falls
Commonwealth Creek Falls
Commonwealth Creek Falls
A few waterdroplet later we were back at the trailhead.
Waterdroplets
Waterdroplets

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 1:33 am 
You're working the new machinery well! Great pictures. I'm still annoyed that I didn't take the initiative to walk up Alaska Mtn the weekend we camped by Ridge Lake. Good job on that. Did the new camera also take the video -- it's also better res than previous ones.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 6:29 am 
Bryan, great trip, really splendid for October. I've got to run to work. I barely had time to add images. I'll read the report and watch the video when I get home. Adam

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 9:08 am 
Puzzlr, glad you like the photos and video. The new camera does not do video, I had contimplated getting the Canon T1i which does HD video but opted to keep those two formats separate and continue to use my Canon FS20 camcorder. I did notice that I goofed on the placement of the labels for the lakes in the video and am trying to fix that shakehead.gif Adam, great hike, thanks for the company and a fun time up.gif Can't wait to see more of your shots biggrin.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 11:59 am 
Bryan, I liked the video and music choice. I've always wanted to get to the catwalk..

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 12:36 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
You're working the new machinery well! Great pictures.
puzzlr is right. You didn't take any time at all to learn how to use that new camera. Also the video is very well orchestrated. You have captured the atmosphere out there better than photographs can. So, where are we going to go next tuesday?

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 5:37 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
puzzlr wrote:
You're working the new machinery well! Great pictures.
Also the video is very well orchestrated. You have captured the atmosphere out there better than photographs can.
ditto.gif ditto.gif Couldn't have said it better. Awesome video, Bryan. I'm not sure what your day job is, but I believe you could make a living making movies. Seriously, you are that good. There is something about your timing and editing that is brilliant. The way you change your camera angle is remarkable and always captures my attention. Your sound editing is fantastic--hearing near and far noises and sometimes just the music. And the way you include yourself, with some humility (and a spark of humor) rounds it out. Not to mention a fitting score and interesting footage! I tell you, it is the work of genius. If I am ever rich rich, I want to be your producer. For now, I'll have to settle on being your #1 Fan!!!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel