Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dog Mt., Columbia River Gorge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 8:18 am 
On sunday morning Dicentra and me headed out early, and drove down to Hwy 14 on the Columbia River Gorge. We had decided on doing Dog Mt. By the time we got there, it was already pretty warm-except of course the wind was there. But hey blue skies make me happy! We took the oldest of the 3 trails to the summit, which I do believe is steeper than even Mt. Walker.....it was a calve and thigh burner to say the least.. lol.gif We saw almost no one on this trail. But besides the grade (20-25%) it was a nice trail-light duff under your feet and no holes, blowdowns or roots. We reached the junction with the 2cnd new trail and headed up more, coming out of tree line just before attaining Puppy, the old lookout site, which was very windy-but just gorgeous as you can see Mt. Hood for the first time. The rest of the way up is pure subalpine bliss smile.gif The trail is still very steep but being above treeline helps alot! Kinda scary to realize that subalpine CAN occur at 2300 ft-I did not know that. Dicentra is of course a plant geek (which I love to listen to!!) and can identify about anything on a trail. I love hiking with parkies wink.gif Mt. St. Helens comes into view below the summit...it was so very pretty yesterday. We had a long lunch at the summit, in the meadows-that reeked of some wild onion..with what an old guy we chatted with called "summit lizards" (all the people napping in the sun). We decided to take the newest trail down-the Augspurger Mt. Trail, as it connects, and is a tad longer. It rolls across another alpiney ridge and then turns flipping to the other side, and to another enviorment-as it goes north facing, it turns into a forest of douglas firs and is wet-with snow on the back side, it then flips again, going down the side of Dog Mt. you can see from the Hwy, crossing rock slide areas quite a bit, and being a very rocky and still very steep trail. Quite a bit different from the trail up-but we got excellent views of Windy Mt. coming down....and somebody playing a flute horribly way down below us biggrin.gif An awesome early season hike! Flowers are just starting to come out-in another week or 3 it will be gorgeous. Just be VERY careful-there is a ton of poison oak down below, in the first mile or two of trail (the first 1000-1500ft of elevation). Do NOT go off the trail at all, for anything. And love the almost 3,000 ft elevation gain biggrin.gif All the photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/129475266EgXKbV?785

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 10:51 am 
Sarbar, Looks like you really brought home a good one this time. That hill has the same look and feel of much higher places that I'd expect to attack in mid-summer at the earliest. A bit of a drive for sure, but I'm going! Hell, I even like the name of the place. Did you get enough time out of the wind to get a feel for the bug activity?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 10:54 am 
Actually, there was NO wind on the summit! Where the wind was bad was the parking lot and on Puppy Shoulder. And no bugs!! Or pesky squirrels....just a lot of "Summit Lizards" lol.gif It was weird to be hiking there-because it felt like I was at 5,000 ft-not at 2800 ft. And it was delicously warm! Oh yeah, and being early season the rattlesnakes are not out yet.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 am 
Well then, if the snakes aren't an issue, I guess we needn't even mention that little tidbit to Mrs. jimmymac. But it sounds like a thorough "reststop" prior to the poison oak alley would be in order. Is there any can facilities at the TH?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 11:52 am 
LOL!! There is-and it's a very nice privy I might add-no smell at all whatsoever! It is about 200 yds up the trail from the parking lot (the main Dogtrail trail, to the right of the parking lot). The poison oak does stop after awhile and it is putting on leaves so very noticeable wink.gif And I should add, the NWForest pass is required at the TH.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 11:55 am 
Never leave home without it. (Unless I get in too big a hurry.)

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:59 am 
Sarbar! Thanks for another fantastic trip! I forgot to take pics of the poison oak! doh.gif Guess we'll hafta hike that one again...with Rainrunner! smile.gif The flowers were out and lots more soon to be out! Trillium, bleeding heart, columbine... and lots that I couldn't identify despite what Sar says. tongue.gif I had my plant book with me but I think I got distracted by the amazing view at lunch, so I never looked them up. I did take pics though... so I'll have to try and figure out what they were. Puppy Point was WINDY!! That could be dangerous if you aren't careful! The drop off there goes straight down to the river!! But what a view!! St Helens AND Hood!! Not to mention the river! BEAUTIFUL! smile.gif My legs are still stiff today and saying "what?! Its hiking season? Again? Already??" lol. Here's a link to my photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/129472014TEhRMF