Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wohoo, Cow Heaven Creek made photo of the day :D
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 16, 2002 11:27 pm 
Wohoo, I made photo of the day over at Steve's Digicams. My first ever photography award biggrin.gif. Click here (and scroll down half a page or so).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 17, 2002 4:16 am 
Congrats Tom. Pretty dog gone nice. Awesome clarity. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.

PostFri May 17, 2002 6:28 am 
Well deserved! A beaut!

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostFri May 17, 2002 6:33 am 
Way to go..... Ice Girl

Damian

Damian
PostFri May 17, 2002 8:08 am 
Nice pic Tom! Congrats! I once got a photo accepted for American Rivers calendar. I was quite elated. Then they cancelled the calender that year due to budget constraints before it was even printed! mad.gif However, I must confess myself content: http://www.nwog.org/gallery.htm

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostFri May 17, 2002 8:30 am 
Ok, i have to brag too... i got 1st, and two 2nd places at the Evergreen State Fair last year. Ice Girl

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 17, 2002 10:11 am 
Nice pic, Tom. Congratz! smile.gif While we're touting our photographic achievements, I have won Photo of the Day in the Landscape/Nature category at DigitalPhotoContest.com twice. Unfortunately, they don't have a way to directly link to the photo index for a contributor, but my 2 winners are this one that's just ok, and this one that I'm pretty proud of. I have a lot of new photos to compete with once I get them all organized. The competition there is great. Lots of good photographers.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSat May 18, 2002 9:27 am 
i will put them in here to show you, as soon as i figure out how to post them, and i will have to dig them out of the photo, which are in a state of disaray. i have them in 8x 10 for in my room. but that doesn't do me much good. Ice Girl

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 18, 2002 11:11 am 
Just wondering if you folks tweek your photos in an editor or are they right out of the camera. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 18, 2002 12:06 pm 
My waterfall shot above is straight out of the camera, no camera filters, no photoshop, no nothing! I set the shutter to 1 second, bumped the exposure to +1 2/3, turned on the countdown timer, set it on a rock, pressed the shutter, and there she is... If I do anything in photoshop it's usually to fix a picture, not to enhance a picture. I might adjust brightness or contrast, crop the photo, correct the white balance, filter out a mosquito that got in the picture, etc. but it's much more the exception than the norm. I also don't like playing around with the "tweak" settings on the camera like saturation - to me that's cheating too and it makes things look unnatural to boot tongue.gif. I do sharpen photos slightly after resizing them for the web, but this isn't really tweaking as much as it's restoring the original sharpness. It's necessary because resizing blends adjacent pixels together creating a dulling effect. Sharpness results from differing levels of brightness from pixel to pixel, so when pixels are merged together the "sharpness" effect needs to be restored.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat May 18, 2002 12:28 pm 
I pretty much have the same attitude about it as Tom. I'll do things in photoshop like cropping, rotating (I'm horrible at getting photos lined up horizontally), maybe a little brightness/contrast adjustment. I do sharpen as well for the same reasons Tom posted, plus the fact that digital cameras inherently add some degree of unsharpness by nature, resized or not. I don't add any special effects or what I consider "doctoring" -- artificial color, pasting things in, etc. That goes for camera-side as well. I use a polarizing filter for glare reduction, neutral density filter for light reduction and occasionally a mild warming filter to remove the heavy blue cast on sunny days in high altitudes, but that's it. No star filters, colored filters, rainbow filters (ack!) or anything like that. My goal is to portray nature as accurately as possible, putting as little of myself (or my hand) in the photo as possible. Occasionally I might add a little artistic flair to an image that wouldn't be usable otherwise, like sepia toning or converting to black/white, but nothing that I would consider artificial. Nature is the subject, not the photographer or effects I can produce.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue May 21, 2002 4:13 am 
Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I ment by tweeking tho. I guess I should have said fine tuning. Nice work. NN smile.gif